Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

My name is Tanya, i am 37, and live in MD.

Monday 2/20/06 was my lap band surgery at St. Agnes Hosp in Baltimore.

I am feeling a little better 5 days later except for the terrible gas pains which don't seem to go away. I'm just on liquids now such as Water, apple juice, chicken broth(not my favorite) Jello and popsicles. I don't really feel hungry but my tummy sure makes a lot of noises, maybe that's just more gas, i'm not sure, it's hard to tell. I have been a little depressed and wondering if this surgery was the right decision but i guess when i start seeing results and am able to get around better without pain my attitude will change. I hope to make some friends on here and hear their stories and how they are coping so hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks, Tanya

Tanya,

Congrats on your surgery! I had gas that lasted 3-4 weeks. Horrible pains in my shoulder and collarbone that I thought would never go away -- but they did :-)! Not too long after I had surgery - maybe 2 weeks or so, I was driving home and thinking what the heck have I done? Will I ever feel normal again??? I got really depressed and found tears from nowhere streaming down my face. I didn't understand it... just part of the adjustment phase I guess. Never fear - this too shall pass! I feel fine now a month and a half later. I'm still learning, but no longer have these feelings of wondering if this was the right thing to do! You hang in there!

When you can, try pudding cups with splenda - that made me feel more like I was eating normal food. Also, I did potato Soup (pureed) when I was so tired of clear I couldn't stand it. A little salt and pepper and I felt like I was eating something good again! Clear Liquids won't last that long and when you can move to this kind of stuff you'll feel better!

Take Care!

Hi there Tanya! Welcome to LBT and grats on your banding!

I have pretty much the same story to tell you as my friend Kim did. The gas sucked, the realization of what I had done to myself was upsetting, the Protein shakes tasted horrible! :Cry: Waaaah!!

I am also 6 weeks out now, and I am so glad I did this! I'm down nearly 40 pounds. Off of the restricted phase of the post-op diet and have had my first fill. I feel great. I eat foods I enjoy. I don't struggle with hunger anymore. And I'm finally excited because I know that -this- time, I'm going to really see a huge change in my life thanks to this lovely tool called the LapBand.

I hope you recover soon. Walk as much as you can. Rest. Drink lots of Water. And follow your Dr's instructions carefully. Before you know it, you will be sharing your story and encouragement with a newbie that's feeling like you do now!

Oh and the tummy noises are very normal. Lots of adjustments going on inside!

Thanks Kim!

I appreciate your encouraging words and am glad to know there's people i can talk to when i need help.

Tanya

Hey Susan,

Wow 40 lbs. in 6 weeks, that's awesome, I can't wait to see some results and get rid of this gas. Thanks for the help.

Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Welcome to LBT. When I first came here I kept wondering and asking about abbreviations in conversations. To make it easier for yourself you might want to check out the “FAQ’s and Resources” Forum. There are a couple of threads about abbreviations which will help you understand what people are talking about.

I'm being banded on March 7 in Monterrey, Mexico by Dr. Roberto Rumbaut. So in addition to being scared about the surgery itself I get to worry about surgery in Mexico! Actually, I'm pretty comfortable with that after doing a lot of research! lol

HTH (hope this helps!) and good luck to you.

Hello All!

I'm Nanster. I was banded by Dr. Spivak 6 days ago in Houston, TX. The surgery itself was not so bad, but I was unaware of how "SICK" I would feel as I "detox'd" from my old way of eating. I planned to be banded Friday and return to work Monday...they told me "no problem"....WRONG....I felt like CRAPOLA for several days.:sick Each day has gotten a little better, thank the Lord. I guess my body has just been "crashing" from the reduction in calories, the lack of caffeine, the fact that my tissues were healing, etc. etc.

I just wish I had been more aware that this was going to occur, rather than expecting "no big deal" for an outpatient procedure as was projected to me by the doctor, the surgery center staff and other "losers" I've met. Perhaps it's all my fault for not having gone to a low-calorie, no-caffeine diet ahead of time, but I was primarily told to go off "whites"-flour, sugar, Pasta, rice, potatoes.

I'm having difficulty getting enough calories in right now. I'm "full" before I even start!!! I don't have ANY desire to eat and feel full with an "empty" stomach. I have to push to drink Water, broth, Soup. I tried some grits this morning...only ate about 4 tsps full, over the course of 1/2 an hour and they felt like a huge rock in my gut for 2-3 hours!!!! I finally laid down and they passed while I napped. The rest of today, I've been having only liquids...ensure, Boost, Atkins shake, Water, tea, and a little no-sugar-added applesauce.

I assume from the majority of posts that I'll actually be one of the "lucky" ones in the future, as I will be able to put off a fill for a while since I feel full ALL THE TIME! :confused: Is that a correct assumption?

I have actually lost 8 pounds in 6 days, which I feel is TOO much - not that I don't like seeing it on the scale - for such a short time. I think that is a further indication that my body is really "crashing" and that's why I have felt so poor so far.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a "newbie"???:biggrin1:

I am taking tomorrow off work-make it an even week! I need to get my home back in order and try to catch up on my bills, etc. and used to functioning on all liquids.

I still have shakes and sweat constantly....any idea on how long these things will last?????? Am I almost past the "detox" stage??? (I hope, I hope)

Thanks for your replies!!!

Nanster

Hi Tanya, I am Tammy and I am 39. I had surgery 3 days ago and I feel just like you. I have pain on my right side where the port is and this is mostly when I get up from bed or a chair and I ask myself if I have done the right thing....I hope I have...Now the liquids I have are more than apple juice, broth, etc...I have shakes, cream of chicken, cream of broccoli...Lets be positive and think we will do well...