Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Catholic? What are you giving up during Lent???

I'm struggling with the decision of what to give up this year during Lent. I have oh so many weaknesses that I just cannot decide. chocolate? Sweets? Junk food? Soda? Fast food??

BTW, I know none of the above are recommended foods for bandsters, but it seems like lately I've completely forgotten what it means to be banded. Anyone else preparing for Lent?

Maysa,

Im Catholic!

Although those are wonderful things you mentioned for "giving up" - we have to remember that we are doing this for GOD, not for weightloss... hehe!

I teach second grade PREP (catechism) - and last week we talked about lent. I gave several ideas on different things they could do: no sweets, no cola's, praying nightly as a family, no tv/video games on Fridays; and some other stuff. Their responses were hilarous! When I mentioned not drinking cola's - they were shocked with this thought! They wanted to know what they were going to drink INSTEAD of cola's. And the NO tv/video thing just blew them away.... LOL.

Anyway...

what Im going to do differently during Lent:

1. Im going to limit my computer time and increase prayer time (big one for me)

2. Have nightly prayer time with the family

3. Have -NO- meat on Fridays

4. Be nicer to my husband (bite my tounge more - hardest thing on this list)

Glad you asked this. Sorry I wasnt into the giving up food. I feel like I already do enough sacrificing in that area. :phanvan

Out of the mouths of babes, right? I have a 5 year old, and broke the news to him a few days ago that we've decided to cancel our cable. This isn't for Lent, but just the fact that the tv has become a big part of our lives, and we agreed that the time would be better spend on other activities. He was completely devistated, until of course I reminded him that he will still be able to watch his DVD's!

I always give up meat on Friday's during Lent. I also spend a lot more time participating in church activities (stations of the cross, lenten Soup dinners, etc). But usually there is a luxury food that I also give up. This wasn't an issue last year because I was getting prepared to be banded, but lately I have been eating like my pre-banded self (just in smalled quantities!)

Thanks for sharing your plans for Lent Paula!

1. Im going to limit my computer time and increase prayer time (big one for me)

I'm not Catholic, just call me a clueless Protestant, but when I read THIS I gasped! Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! I'm so convicted!!!! I should substitute LBT time with prayer and I'd be prayed up for me, my hubby, my kids, my entire church and neighborhood, and still have plenty of time left to pray for my wonderful LBT friends! Ah geez.

Fine, fine. When does Lent start? Think God minds if I'm not Catholic? haha

Lent begins Ash Wednesday, which is March 1st this year.

My husband isn't Catholic, so just my son and I will be going to Mass on Wednesday evening.

Lent begins Ash Wednesday, which is March 1st this year.

My husband isn't Catholic, so just my son and I will be going to Mass on Wednesday evening.

This is the Mass where you get the Ash cross on your forehead? Sorry to sound so dumb. I really should know this. Okay, Wed March 1st I'm praying more, logging on less. God help me!!!!

I have been thinking about it alot as of late. I am thinking I am going to give up meat as in beef.

My Son Chalio is getting ready for Reconcilliatin in May so we have been working on his prayers alot.. I belive that we will be doing them more so during this time.

I should substitute LBT time with prayer and I'd be prayed up for me, my hubby, my kids, my entire church and neighborhood, and still have plenty of time left to pray for my wonderful LBT friends!

Kathy, youve got me laughing!

I can SO relate.

But, beware - this "Lent" thing last for FORTY days. The end being Easter Sunday.

You know, this would be a neat challenge for us.

Protestants participate in Lent as well (most Christians do).

I'm going to try to give up bitching about my boss.

On Ash Wednesday I am volunteering from noon till 8pm for a Huge Soup dinner at my church. I will be driving around picking up all the local donations for the dinner & than serving all night. I was Catholic & I recently switched to Methodist. For lent I will be giving up "Pounds" for myself & "respecting the Temple, my body" God gave me. That means no bad things going into it & working at strenthing it. My prayer time has been good but can always be better. I think the biggest thing I can do for lent is put forth a huge effort on finding a new job. Its something I haven't been doing & don't really want to do so it would be a sacrafice kinda- well ok not really ! I guess I'll have to work on something better. Hmmmm? What to give up??? Ok maybe my daily nap time- that seems to be a hurdle I need to overcome & could use the time in a more productive manner. I wonder if I can do it??

Hey All, I'm also Protestant as well, and I love the idea of thinking about what comes out of my mouth instead of always thinking about what goes in. I will give up complaining, it is possible to carry on a conversation without negativity. I believe in the book of James we are to "Speak little, listen much, and be very slow to anger."

Tammy

I was just thinking of this today!!!

I felt bad about giving up something like ice cream or candy since I'm not suppose to have it anyway. This is a dilema for me. II really liked everyone elses idea about not going the food route. More thought needed on my part.

My present husband is protestant and I raised we two sons in the congregational church after starting them in the catholic church. DH gives something up for the 40 days and participates in Lent. He feels it is his way to show his faith to his God.

Me, I'm still that Irish Catholic girl.....

Thanks for starting this thread....

Kathy, I've been observing lent for most of my adult life and I'm a Pagan.

This year I've decided to give up something weird. I've decided that I'm going to try to let go of the whole Cushing's thing. Let go as in "let god." I am going to work on giving up stressing over my health. I don't know if it is a vise or not, but that is what I'm going to work on.

I typically give up one of my favorite pleasures. I've given up coffee several times, gave up TV, stuff like that. One year I gave up chocolate, and I gained 18 pounds. So, I'll never give up chocolate again, since the Gods want me to have chocolate, obviously.

Instead of giving up something my husband 's family does something extra for someone each day. Even if it is just holding a door or letting in an extra car or two in traffic. Tey make a point to be kinder and more caring. They are Catholic, I was raised baptist and had never observed Lent until we met. Last year I gave up caffine for lent and it almost killed me, I had a Migraine for 2 weeks, but I stuck it out and I am no longer a caffine junkie. We will be on vacation for 11 days of lent so that will be hard but I am sure that we will come up with something as a family that we can all make work. ~Mandy

Ive NEVER done the 'no-coffee' thing for Lent. TRULY - God would have to help me with that one.