Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Month And Half Post-Op, I Need A Guide

Hi everyone I am new to this community. It has been a month and a half after my lap band operation and I have gained very mininal results, not to mention going through a lot of hardships and distress, I am at a lost of what I have to eat, the amount, exercise etc. There are a lot of unknowns, hopefully I will not become a lap band failure does anyone know any good guides out there for post lap-band surgery? Thank you.

Welcome! I'm not post-op yet but I've already found a ton of good resources. First of all, your nutritionist could be your best friend. Did you see one pre-op? If not, find one! If you're feeling like you may fail, get back in touch with your surgeon. THEY don't want to see you fail either!

Protein is key and now is the time to focus on giving your body what it needs over what your mind is telling you that you want. Did you go through a program to get the band? Most programs out there are pretty structured to prevent people from failing. Dig down deep, find that motivation, and check this website often! The people here are so helpful and so inspirational!

I can give you some FREE advice :rolleyes:

Are you not able to get any guidance from your doc? If not there are lots of people here willing to help. I am guessing by now you are on solids? You should eat 1/2 to one cup per meal (trying to keep your calories around 1000 to 1200 a day). Eat 3-4 oz Protein first, then some veggies, then you can have a bit of carbs. It is a little trial and error as to what may be more difficult to eat. But make sure you CHEW everything really well. Rest between bites, and don't drink with meals.

Don't worry if you haven't lost much since your surgery. That time after is a healing time, and many people maintain or even gain a bit. You will get there! You probably don't have any restriction yet either, so you're going to have to rely on willpower for now (sucks, I know!) until you get your first fill. Do you have an appointment for that yet? If not, give your doc a call and set that up as sometimes it can take a while to get in depending on your doctor and how busy they are.

Most of all, don't despair! There are TONS of FREE resources here. Message me if I can help you more. Good luck!

Sorry if I came off the wrong way Shauna, I wasn't trying to push towards spending $$ on physicians or dieticians - they've just been some of my best resources so far. My dietician gave me her email for any questions any time, free of charge - maybe that's an option? It sounds like TiffanySeacrest is kind of floundering with post-op care and planning - going back to the starting point with docs and nutritionists may help. I don't think it's necessary to spend more $$ on a program.

Hi everyone I am new to this community. It has been a month and a half after my lap band operation and I have gained very mininal results, not to mention going through a lot of hardships and distress, I am at a lost of what I have to eat, the amount, exercise etc. There are a lot of unknowns, hopefully I will not become a lap band failure does anyone know any good guides out there for post lap-band surgery? Thank you.

Try "Bandwagon" by Jean McMillan.

Tiffany didn't your doctor give you a packet of information for you to use through the entire process? I got a notebook that specifically lined out each step of the way and clearly listed what and how much to eat. I would call our doctor and see if they have something like that for you to use. I agree they are there to help you and surely do not want you to fail at this. Like the others said contact your nutrisionist also, she will be very helpful to you. This site is wonderful for answering questions and getting support. The internet is endless with information. Someone posted a link to a guide for banding, I don't have the link but I have it on my desktop. If you'd like it just message me and I'll send it to you.

Don't feel alone, we're all here to help! Stay positive and believe in yourself, you can do this!! Good luck! Deb

Sorry if I came off the wrong way Shauna, I wasn't trying to push towards spending $$ on physicians or dieticians - they've just been some of my best resources so far. My dietician gave me her email for any questions any time, free of charge - maybe that's an option? It sounds like TiffanySeacrest is kind of floundering with post-op care and planning - going back to the starting point with docs and nutritionists may help. I don't think it's necessary to spend more $$ on a program.

It wasn't you! Sorry if it came off that way! There was a post before yours....seeming to push a program. It seems to be gone now....your advice was good!

Hi. How you purchased a digital food scale? Availble at Target / Walmart. I still measure all my Protein at every meal keeps me honest. Eat the Protein first and then veggies until full.

I live by the rule if I would be embarrased for my doctor (or the nurse practitioner God help me!) to see me purchase something then I should'nt be eating it!

Do you have thin friends or family that you can observe to see what they eat?