Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band After Weight Loss Surgery??

I would like to know if there are people out there who have had the lap band after gaining weight back from weigh loss surgery?

Carney Wilson just had it done because she gained some weight back. I am considering it. Had my RNY surgery 15 years ago and have gained most of the weight back. It is really sad to think that I could put myself through major, life-threatening surgery and then not be successful with it.

Please tell me your stories.

I'm guessing Carney Wilson stretched out her pouch after bypass. Carney has food issues....period! She started a cupcake business for crying out loud! I hope she's successful with lap band but I hope she's not thinking it's another magic bullet. Weightloss occurs between your two ears and that's 99% of the battle.

Everybody who has weight loss surgery has food issues or we wouldn't have BMI's over 30 or more and need this surgery in the first place.

Stretching the pouch is very common after so many years. I would like to hear from the people on this forum who have had it done...I don't need the negative posts...I beat myself up enough over this.

I have heard of this being done ... I think a lot of people went through wls w/o getting the help they needed for their 'food issues' afterwards ... I think if it will help you to get back on track then you should go for it ... Just remember that it can be taken out if it isn't working for you ... Stay strong and try finding a dr that can help you find a good support group =0)

There were no mandatory support groups back then. We just had a group that got together each month because we wanted to. The docs would tell us about them if we were interested. No mandatory visits with nutritionist either. Things have changed a lot in 15 years. The program in my area is very strict now so I bet there is a much higher success rate.

I would like to know if there are people out there who have had the lap band after gaining weight back from weigh loss surgery?

Carney Wilson just had it done because she gained some weight back. I am considering it. Had my RNY surgery 15 years ago and have gained most of the weight back. It is really sad to think that I could put myself through major, life-threatening surgery and then not be successful with it.

Please tell me your stories.

Hi MaineMom - First of all, welcome to LBT. We're all in this together and here to be supportive.

While I have only had the band, my first band was seven years ago and I can tell you that my pouch definitely relaxed over time.

When I was exploring which surgery to have, my doctor told me that with RNY, over time not only does the stomach relax, it also starts to rebuild the lost cilia needed for the malabsorption.

He said that in the later years of RNY, it becomes very difficult to lose.

I'm saying this by way of saying....it's not your fault. You had a tool that worked great and then it didn't.

That's one of the little tricks about any weight loss surgery. It's great for a while, but then, like anything, you have to stay committed to it.

Ultimately my band slipped and I've just had a new one placed. It's given me a kick in the butt and I'm being SO careful right now in how I eat. Getting the new band is making me relearn all the lessons. I don't take it for granted anymore (I was really bad about that).

So if you are considering a new weight loss surgery, I guess I come closest to understanding what you are saying.

It's a big step. HUGE. The second surgery was harder for me than the first. I'm not as young as I was seven years ago. *smile*

But it's an interesting thing to consider. Just like you did before your first surgery, research everything before you decide

Wishing you a lot of luck on your journey.