Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Banders

momab50
Sign in to follow this  

I know that several or group has allready been banded, lets hear from you. how did your surgerys go? Where you prepared? Any surprises? anything you can tell the rest of us that have our surgerys comming up. but mostley just let us know how you are.

I'll be post-op in just a few more days Moma and I'll for sure post and share!

CAN'T WAIT!

I'm 2 days post-op. Feeling much better. Surgery went fine: band, haital hernia fixed and adhesions removed. Now home on liquids and dealing with pain and gas but could be worse. Just had to sneeze, let me tell you its no fun, just like coughing and laughing.

I am 13 days post-op and feeling wonderful! I know the pain of surgery varies from person to person, but I had minimal discomfort and was up and about the day of. I stopped pain meds after day 3 and went back to work in a restaurant within the week.

I would absolutely recommend buying a travel pillow or one of those Peewee Pillowpet's. I bought the Pillowpet and it was definitely a lifesaver. I used it when getting in/out of cars, in/out of bed, and sometimes walking around if my tummy felt sore. The pressure helped to relieve any pain from moving.

I also went overboard and bought a lot of broth and yogurt. I was allowed full liquids right after surgery, which included pureed Soups through a sieve, so I really lived on sugar free pudding, pureed Soups, yogurts, and Protein Shakes. I actually tried SF Jello within the first few days, and something about the texture did not sit well with me.

If I wanted something broth like, I used Lipton cup-a-soup cream of chicken, which was much more satisfying than broth alone. I also used peppermint tea the first few days post-op and can't say whether it helped with gas pains because I didn't get any til day 5 or 6, but it was definitely soothing. I did write a list on my blog of the things I bought, the things I actually used, and what I would recommend if I were to do it again.

I am now on my puree/mushy stage, so I bought a Ninja kitchen pulse to send everything through.

Good morning y'all!

I had my surgery yesterday (04/10/12) and feel rough, but not horrible. The process was simple enough, but on the way home my shoulder hurt so badly I was almost in tears. ( I live an hour + from the hospital, so I didn't have any pain meds with me and didn't ask for any after I got our of surgery. I would advise anyone with a long drive to ask for a shot or something before leaving) I have expereinced these gas pains before, but not like this. That is really my worst complaint.

My stomach feels like I did way too many sit ups and when I woke this morning, EVERYTHING was sore. Legs, neck, arms etc. I have to go back to work Monday, but i think if I had no choice but to back to work today, I could. It really isn't as bad as I have heard. The gas, yes, but my pain meds seemed to squash it. Overall it isn't that bad, just uncomfortable.

Glad it went well for you. Keep recovering quickly and keep up posted.

Congrats

:D

I am 8 days post op...I have lost 16 pounds so far (5.5 pre-op). I haven't been hungry and have been satisfied on the liquids so far. I go for my post-op tomorrow and may be put on solids since I haven't had any issues or nausea. My doc is kind of aggressive. I will get a fill in 3 weeks after surgery.

I am not going to sugar coat...the first few days was kind of miserable. But honestly every day I woke up I felt better....and when I woke up on Sunday morning I felt almost completely normal....well except for not wanting to eat and the occasional shoulder pain.

My incisions are slightly itchy...guess that means they are healing. All in all....not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. And any uncomfortable issues I had are way overshadowed by the benefit. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I haven't lost as much as that yet, and I gained about 3 lbs right after surgery. Pretty sure it was water/gas weight. Glad to hear your doing so well. I'm itchy too and can't wait for the incisions to heal completely. I'll be honest that I'm a little disappointed with my weight loss but I am losing, so it's all just in my mind. I'm not the most patient person in the world and it's been one of my hardest life lessons so far. Thing is this time I'm not turning to food as a means to make me feel better.

My only issue right now is sometimes my port bulges out and gets a little sore. I have some bruising around that incision from the surgery, and it's the only area that I have any pain with anymore. It feels like it's healing so I'm not concern. Sometimes it feels like I have an alien baby in me :)

Unfortunately, I have to wait 6 wks for a fill and I'm not feeling much restriction. I'm following docs orders and counting my days til my fill.

j~

Scorpiolady...I weighed the day after surgery and had gained 2 pounds...so weird. But I think it is all those fluids. I have not been getting in as much Water as I should. I struggle with it. So some of my loss is water weight for sure. I am sure once I get on solids that my weight may spike a little...but hopefully not. I am determined to follow this to a "T". I don't want to fail yet again :(

I am two days post op- banded on Tuesday am! I am feeling pretty good- sore, but not miserable. I teased my dr right before the surgery to make sure that he got all the co2 out and so far I haven't had any gas pain. I am having lots of nausea keeping anything other than Water down, but it's getting better. Weirdly, I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive that they used to cover my steri- strips, so my abdomen is a mass of Fluid filled blisters that itch like crazy, and that's been the worst. Going to try and step down from the full doses of pain meds today and just save the full doses for at night. :)

weight at start of pre surgery diet - 304/current weight 293/surgery scheduled for April 10!

Sounds like your doing great. Congrats!

I wish I would have said something to my doc about the gas pain. That seems worse than the actual band but it did go away.

Keep sharing Madcap! It's good to hear how everyone is doing.

hugs

j~

7 days post op today for me! Yay! I've lost 25 lbs (including pre op) and I am happy. Of course I was hoping for a tiny bit more, but I'm not complaining. When is the last time I lost 25 lbs in three weeks? Never.

I finally feel completely normal. Still too chicken to sleep on my stomach, but I can sleep on my left side. I have on and off shoulder pain but I just ignore it. My incisions are itchy and the glue is falling off. It takes everything I have not to pick at it.

I'm supposed to start mushies today.... But I'm afraid. I don't want to gain ANY weight. What if I do? I'm not really hungry so I'm thinking of mostly sticking to fluids. Anyone else terrified?

Honey your not going to eat a cheese burger! You'll be fine. I had fish last night, tiny bites and it went very well.

HOOT HOOT on that loss. Your determination is inspiring.

:D

j~

Thanks everyone for sharing. I started my 2 week pre-op last night and met with doctor today fo update my medical history. It is helpful to hear how everyone is doing post op cause that is where my fear lies. I have never had surgery other than my tonsils out 20 years ago and it was pretty miserable.

Keep sharing!

Thanks everyone for sharing. I started my 2 week pre-op last night and met with doctor today fo update my medical history. It is helpful to hear how everyone is doing post op cause that is where my fear lies. I have never had surgery other than my tonsils out 20 years ago and it was pretty miserable.

Keep sharing!

I was banded 25 days ago.. ive lost about 17 pounds which is just great. ive lost swelling , a lot of pain has gone. Im still having issues with gas pain in the left shoulder after meals, im wondering if thats goign to be a long term issue with me. my incisions are an itchy mess of a night... rapid healing going on. sometimes i have to put calamine lotion on to ease it all. Im forgetting to drink the amount of Water i need, and need to re educate myself on that one. Im still on Soups but im allowing more potato etc in them now. still blending until smooth. im starting to have some hunger pains now for different types of food so my tummy is well on the way to being healed. i havent dared to try anything else yet apart from my Soups. im still having Protein Drinks, mixed in Water with greek yoghurt. that does help ease the hunger a bit. i got to my deitician on tuesday. then i have my second visit to the dr on the 9th may. im not sure if he will do a fill then... most likely he will. im suffering from a head cold right now which is making me really tired. Im wanting to rest up all the time. I havent started regular exercise yet. too many other things with family going on right now to get into a routine, but at least im managing to eat what im supposed to. i have to say, im really stoked with my progress so far. i dont mind if my weight loss slows up a little. im 66.