Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there,

I am allmost 28 years old. I have been heavy my entire life. I am in the process of getting approved for lapband. Im just wondering, how is this going to help me? I have lost 65 lbs from my all time highest weight. Ihave changed my diet and I exercise all the time, yet I still struggle as I have PCOS. I don't always eat alot. I try to take shakes with me to work, but it never fills me up. I do have the will power to do shakes and a healthy diet, but I want to be able to drink a shake and be full, not starving 10 minutes later. Will the lapband help with this? How does lapband affect your appetite and hunger? Do you stay fuller on less food longer? I believe that I have issues (mabe streached my stomach?) from when I was bigger.... I have also taken diet pills on and of for years. Funny, they have not really helped me loose the initial 65 lbs. I want a permanent solution thats not going to cause me to yo yo the rest of my life. I allmost backed out of this surgery. I had a double pulmonary embolism at age 22 and the doctor wants to insert baskets in my legs which scares me, but is a preventative measure. After speaking with another doctor, I have learned that it is not a big deal and should not stop me from getting lapband. My insurance covers 100%.... its hard to turn that down when so many would kill to have this surgery for free.

I am dealing with alot of emotions. As I mentioned, I have PCOS, which is a horrible card to be dealt. Any ladies out there with PCOS? Can you tell me if it has changed/helped your condition? Im the girl that never had a date to the prom... im the girl everyone says "she would be so pretty if she just lost the weight." I've never looked in the miror and felt truly confident. Even though I have lost a ton of weight, I still have a long way to go. All I want is to be able to wear a dress and heals and look good... really, really good, and be confident. I look forward to your responses....

Also, what kind of weight loss can I expect the first month and after? How do fills affect weight loss? Any food restrictions?

Even with a band if you drink your meals you are still likely to feel hungry soon afterwards. A band is designed to perform best when you eat small quantities of the correct foods. The focus is on solid Proteins and veg and depending on your Dr some healthy carbs. Once you get to a point where you have some fills in your band you should be able to eat a small meal of some meat veg and possibly a carb and not be hungry for a number of hours afterwards.There is a big difference between the not being hungry feeling and the full or stuffed feeling that you get when you overeat preband.

The band does not stop non hungry eating and a lot of us that are/were overweight have issues with that. We have to find ways of recognising and dealing with that kind of eating.

The band also does not make food choices for you. In order to be successful you need to follow the recommendations given to you by your Dr. If you were instead to choose to eat things that are not recommended such as candy, Cookies,icecream,milkshakes,crackers etc then the band will not assist at all. These type of foods are called sliders as they easily slide past the band, they are normally high cal and low in nutrition so they should be avoided.

Everybody is different and everybody loses weight at a different rate, you will do best if you do not compare yourself to others.

Some people find that after they have a band there are some foods they can't eat but these foods are different for everyone. Common problem foods are things such as dry meat, doughy foods such as bread, stringy foods such as celery. foods with skin on(especially cooked skin) such as tomatos and peppers. etc.

No the band is not a cure all. You have to make a commitment to eat well and exercise also helps. most of us started with walking and move on to more.

I have stopped eating the "bad" carbs again and feel so much better. no the band does not stop my brain, I get "head hunger" quite often. My doc told me to stop a minute and think am I hungry enough that yogurt or a veggie would help

One of the foods that helps me eat correctly is turkey. I try to roast one as often as possible. luckily my husband hasn't gotten tired of it yet. I roast it with low sodium chicken broth, no butter or fat. it is so good and saves me when I have no plan for a meal. it makes the daily Protein total stay high. I find that high Protein low carb ( no potatoes, rice, pasta) works best for me. I eat veggies after I eat the protein.

I love yogurt and try to have some each day. I love the greek yogurt (plain, 0% fat) sometimes I add fruit or stevia. Every time I eat I want protein to be one of the items.

Be sure to drink lots of Water and non caffeine drinks. I had an ulcer so I try to limit Decaf coffee, I now drink tea.

What is it like the month after surgery? Arn't you put on an all liquid diet? Isn't that hell to get through??? Arn't you starving since liquids pass through easily?????

I'm not big into crackers, candy, alcohol or juices/soda.... my issue is carbs.... I think I will do well, I just wonder how much the band will help me....

And thank you ladies for your thoughts and help!!!

ok :) you have inspired me! I am going to give this liquid diet thing a try, although I may have to eat some fruit. I see the surgeon April 9th... I hope my insurance will approve my 6 month diet that I did... When is your surgery? I will be thinking of you... I was close to your size when I started loosing weight.

Its going to be a great day for you ... April 12th is my birthday:) You will be approved :) :) :)

Finally.... got a surgery date! November 20th, 2012. Not sure how i feel about it.... hoping this is going to be the extra edge i need.... i wonder what im going to look like...

Grrr wrote a post and it did'nt save.

Anyway. The band is not magic. First until you start to get fills this will be a will power diet. Even after restriction you will still need to make good food choices. The band will never stop you from eating any food that disolve in your mouth: candy, ice cream, crackers, etc.

You mentioned Protein shakes. After your pre op diet and the two weeks post op you should not be drinking calories. The band is meant to work with solid foods.

Until you get restriction you will need to have will power. No way around that. This is referred to as bandster hell, because you are having to "diet" (eating small amounts and still being hungry) and no one enjoys that.

Getting banded Nov. 20th... this is about as prepaired as I am going to be.....