Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded and here's what's happening

Hi all,

Ok, so I was banded on 2/21/06. The night in the hospital was horrible. The next day, I had to be re-tested for a few things and was sent home with lovanax injections (to prevent blood clots) and gall bladder medicine. I didn't get home till nighttime and feel right asleep. The first day (yesterday), I was getting down Slim-Fasts, powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protien drinks, Water and juice with no problems. I took Tylenol with codiene around the clock and that really helped out with pain. Today, I awoke with tremendous debilitating nausea and called my doctor. He called in a script for an anti-nasea med. I also have horrendous gas, bloating, and pain in my upper abdomen and shoulder. I've been chewing Gas-X and took Zantac also and the nausea is better. However, I can't even think of drinking any protien drinks, not even slowly. I just tried taking a sip of water and it sat in my esophogus, bubbling and gurgling for a few minutes before it went down. I am afraid to try anything but water. I keep walking and trying to burp but not alot is coming out. I keep feeling like there is something wrong with my band. When I do burp it hurts so bad. Could my band have slipped already??? Or is this just normal post op pains? I didn't vomit or do anything that would have made my band slip, I don't think. Is it just swollen and sore? I feel like I'm being a big baby. Thanks to all who responded to my other posts on the support forum about nausea. This board is the best!!!

I'm with ya Sunta!! The pain is the pits!

We weren't allowed "cloudy" liquids for a couple of days: just broth, tea, fruit juice & Water. (I "cheated" with clear Protein drinks.) You might try some warm broth or tea to get stuff to relax a little.

Mikey read an article to me yesterday about chewing gum after surgery to help get the GI track to flowing. I know, I know, gum is a no-no with the band... but if you don't swallow it you should be ok. I'm giving it a try tonight!

That's about it for my "wisdom". I'm in the pain boat with you, lol, I just posted about the same thing! :confused:

Hang in there & hopefully we'll come out on the other side soon!

(( HUGS!!! ))

I think its just post op swelling, the 1st 2-3 days out i just sipped Water and took meds to knock me out. I dont think youve slipped. Just post op swelling! Hang in there, and walk around! it helps

Sunta, so sorry about your rought spot. It WILL get better, with each day. If it doesn't, call your surgeon.

I gurgled the first few days also...due to swelling. Keep drinking, even if it is little sips.

Tylenol w/codeine makes me nauseous also. When I had it with my wisdome teeth, I vomited. Don't like codeine..

You sound quite normal to me. However, it never hurts to call the surgeon with questions.

Gas=Now there is pain! You are doing everything right. Some folks also like a heating pad, in the area of the pain. Also, walking as much as you can to help expel.

Hugs to you Sunta. Shawn

Codeine does make a lot of people sick. Walk, gas-x, heating pad & glycerine suppositories all worked for me. The glycerine suppositories worked the best. This will all be over before you know it! Hang in there!

Sunta,

I too had really bad gas pains, but it does pass. I did an awful lot of walking and I firmly believe this helped as I did 'lose' it at time :-).

Is the Tylenol in pill form? I was advised by my doctor not to take pills as they could very get stuck and really hurt. I took my pain meds in liquid form. Also, I too only did Clear Liquids in very small sips.

Hope you feel better.

I hope you feel better soon. I have had the exact opposite problems. I have sped through the liquids, Soups and stuff and now can eat noodles and I think pretty much whatever..I feel like my band is not working at all.

I really hate it that you are not feeling well. The gas pains suck. I would bend at the waist and back up again several times and burps would come up. Its like burping a baby I guess......it just sucks!

The reason the burping is hurting is from the swelling, I know I had the exact same thing, my Dr. told me there is air and swelling in the diaphram which is causing the pain, it will subside day after day, mine took about 3 weeks to COMPLETELY go away...for the pain in your shoulder, the best medicine for you is to WALK WALK WALK...little bits all day long..lying around makes it worse.. you got to get the gasses moving and flowing outwards, hang in there, this is all normal post op crap..there is light at the end of the tunnel I promise :scared:

Quote by JessieBear:

The glycerine suppositories worked the best. This will all be over before you know it! Hang in there!

Yes, I agree with Jessie - the glycerine suppositories worked wonders for me when I had nausea and thought I was going to throw up.

I had the same pain you are having and could hardly eat anything. It did go away for me. Took a little while though. You just had a big operation and you're bound to feel it for a little while. Hang in there - it does get better! I did gas-x for the shoulder pain. Didn't help tons. I walked as much as I could and that did seem to help a little. After 3-4 weeks, the shoulder pain was gone. Best wishes Sunta! Take it easy. Congrats on your new band!

Sunta, try sipping warm liquids. My 5 surgeons all wanted me on Clear Liquids for a week, meaning apple juice, broth, Jello, Gatorade. Many of us were instructed to avoid thick Protein drinks till our 2nd week.

Also, the band is often much tighter in the morning, so don't force yourself right away. It's important to keep hydrated, so maybe suck on ice cubes or frozen pops. I used a sports bottle to drip one or two drops of liquid on my tongue (my husband called it my Polish IV since I'm Polish.) It took hours to finish a bottle of Gatorade, but at least I knew I was getting some liquid in.

While many people breezed through band surgery like nothing, others (like me) had a really rough couple of weeks. My savior was an extra large heating pad for the aches and pains, and constant walking. My husband pampered me, but if you don't have anyone to take care of you then just forget about everything for a while - no laundry, dishes, mail. Relax, take it easy, walk and "listen" to your body. If you're really worried, don't feel bad about calling your surgeon - that's why you paid him.

Hope to see you on the healed side soon. Peace.

..I feel like my band is not working at all.

Hello SK :scared: I'm not sure if anyone has responded to this yet, but I just wanted to let you know that your band is probably working just fine. Right now, your band has no fill so it is "wide open". The only restriction you will feel is from swelling of the stomach from the surgery. These few weeks are for healing and letting the band settle in. Until the swelling has subsided, it will be difficult to judge how much of a fill you truly need. Once you do start getting fills, you will notice the restriction. I hope that helped put your mind at rest.

Sunta, I sure hope youre feeling better today! Check in when you feel like it and let us know how things are going, ok? *hugs*