Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have Not Lost Weight Since Surgery A Year And Half Ago. Does The Band Size Matter?

HELLO: I AM FROM THE MIAMI AREA AND HAD MY SURGERY ON AUGUST 2010. I HAVE HAD ABOUT SEVEN FILLS AND ONE OF THEM TOO TIGHT THAT I WOULD VOMIT Water AND ENDED UP GOING BACK TO THE DOCTOR. I CAN SAY I HAVE NOT FOUND MY SWEET SPOT. AT THIS POINT, I AM SO DISCOURAGED THAT I DON'T KNOW IF TO GET IT REMOVED, GO TO ANOTHER SURGEON OR VISIT A NUTRIONIST, DIETICIAN, OR EXPERT. I RECENTLY DID THE HCG DIET AND LOST 15 LBS. RIGHT WHEN I HAD THE SURGERY WITH THE liquid diet I LOST 5 LBS. I HAVE A DESK JOB AND MORE COMPUTER AND WRITING DUTIES AT NIGHTS. MY ACTIVITY LEVEL IS LOW AND AS A SINGLE MOTHER I HAVE NO MORE ENERGY TO WORK OUT. I ALEADY WAKE UP AT 6 AM AND GO TO BED AFTER MIDNIGHT. I UNDERSTAND IF I WOULD WORK OUT THINGS WOULD CHANGE BUT THE WHOLE PURPOSE OF THE LAPBAND WAS TO FEEL FULL AND NOT BE ABLE TO EAT EVEN IF I WANTED. WHEN THEY PUT MORE liquid, THEN IS TOO MUCH. SHOULD I CHANGE DOCTORS? DOES ANYBODY KNOW OF A GOOD DOCTOR IN THE MIAM/FLL AREA. I WOULD EVEN DRIVE TO PALM BEACH. I HAVE BEEN READING SO MANY SUCCESSFUL STORIES AND I TRULY NEED YOUR HELP. SHOULD I JOIN WEIGHT WATCHERS? WHAT IS Unjury THAT I SEE ADVERTISED HERE? WHAT shakes HAVE WORKED FOR YOU? I HAVE HEARD EAS IS GOOD. I HAVE GOOD INSURANCE. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU.

Hi there! I recently had surgery, but wanted to chime in here and give you some support. Although exercise immensely helps you on your journey, diet is the biggest factor. There are other people here who have not exercised but have lost a good amount of weight. They stick to a specific calories and eat good quality foods. They follow the rules- Protein first, small bites, portioned foods. They usually do not eat anything considered a "slider"- chips, Cookies, ice cream, calorie drinks, etc. From what I've read, most people can eat a very, very large amount of these slider foods. Not only are they terrible for you, but they are heavy caloric items. I guess the first thing to really analyze is what you eat on a day to day basis. I would keep a completely honest food journal for a week and then really look at the things you are putting in your body.

On another note, you cannot rely on the band to stop you from eating something. The band should help you feel fuller longer, but you have to eat the right foods (no sliders, protein first!) or else they just slide through the band. I would personally recommend that you get a complete unfill and start again like it was day one. This includes getting back to the week of liquid diet and progressing from there. If your surgeon has been a good Dr, then there is no reason to see someone else. I would consider a dietician to help guide you for now. They will be able to give you a tentative menu idea and help you out.

Remember, the only person who will make you lose weight is you.

It sounds as though you were not educated about how the band works prior to surgery. Having a band is not a magical cure for obesity. The band is a tool that you have to use to achieve success. It will not choose the correct foods for you, it will not stop you putting chocolate and other low nutrition, fattening foods in your mouth, it will not force you to exercise. You are the only person that can do those things.

I think you need to go back to basics. Eat what you should be ating in the recommended amounts and move more than you are currently.Having your band tighter will not necessarily help. If it is too tight you gain weight and set yourself up for all sorts of complications.

Ditto to what Stephyanders and Elcee said!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!! The band is not meant to prevent you from eating!!!!!!! It is meant to help you feel fuller for longer periods of time after eating a meal i cluding a dense Protein. Good luck on your new beginning with the band!

I also have to say that I agree with what the other members have written. It does sound like you never received a proper education about diet and how the band helps with weight loss.

Everything you eat should be measured. My doctor and staff recommend 3 oz. of quality Protein (lean meats and poultry), and 2 oz. of a Fiber carb (strawberries, sweet potato, broccoli) for every meal. Eat the Protein first, and stop eating when you feel full. Use FRESH everything; the less processed the food is, the healthier it is for your nutrition.

When I find myself getting hungry between meals, that is my cue to start drinking some of the 60-80 oz of "free fluids" ( anything no calorie and sugar free from Crystal Lite, to tea, to Water. I prefer water).

Evening hunger does happen, so that is the time I have my Protein shake or drink 8 oz of skim milk. Be certain that the Protein powder or ready made product contains 100% whey isolate protein. I have purchased mine at GNC. Injury products are available online, and also through my doctor's office. They are a brand of bariatric products from Soup to shakes which have good feedback from users, however I have never tried any of them.

Also, if you are not consuming enough protein daily, it will slow your weight loss.

​I hope this information helps...and I believe that you would benefit from meeting with a dietitian. Good luck!!

Like others have said, for someone who had been banded since 2010, you sure do have a lot of questions.

I also see that you just joined here less than a day ago. Have you completely been on your own since surgery??

Most people start their education prior to surgery, then get support and learn as they go. Within a year their primary journey is complete.

I had my surgery and ongoing after care at Cleveland Clinic in Weston, FL. I have been very happy with the support, education and overall quality of care. I don't know if they will take on patients that had their surgery elsewhere, but it can't hurt to call and ask. The general number is 954-659-5000.

Good luck.