Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My feelings about pills/supplements/boosters...  

2 members have voted

1. 1. My feelings about pills/supplements/boosters...

• Isn't that the point of the band? I won't take them. That is why I got this band!!!
    • I don't think it is good to take them, but I am not opposed to the idea.
    • I take them on occasion.
    • I take pills/supplements/suppressors/boosters regularly to promote and give my weight loss an added edge along with the tool of my band. Why not make the most of the situation?

If I knew it would really help, I would consider a supplement, but only if it was proven to be a new miracle pill. I took phentermines for years, blue and clears they're called on the street, or yellow jackets, but mine were the expensive prescription type, LOL. I think back now at how stupid I was to take them for so long and all I did was maintain my overweight status, which I guess was better than gaining.

Like VQ, I take supplements, such as cod liver oil pills, I haven't been sick with the flu or a cold in 10 years, (probably just jinxed the heck out of myself) and I just started taking B12 Vitamins, Water soluble, which are supposed to be easier on the liver. The first two I took, I thought I'd taken speed, what's up with that?

I was wondering about the Phentermine. Before I decided to definantly self pay for my surgery I went to my doctor, just to see if maybe my insurance had changed their guidelines. Nope. He was not opposed to me having surgery, but clearly I didn't qualify (yeah, what do they know, lol)so he offered me phentermine. I did not tell him I had thought of being self pay for the surgery in Mexico. I did except the perscription and filled it. I haven't used it but wondered, it is something I could use after being banded, you know for those 'rough' days. I see here some of you have been using it occasionally. I took it years ago by itself and also when it was phen/fen. It worked both times, but only while I was taking it. That is what I worry about, if I nee dthat still after being banded, isn't that defeating the purpose of the band? I don't know.

I just started taking chromium picnolate that my doc's nutritionist recommended. - since taking my weight dropped three pounds so im sticking with it. however, i will NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN buy a 'diet' pill - i've used them all and I mean all and won't spend another penny on them or any diet related product or food. personally that's why I got the band - i'm sure i spent over 10,000 on diet food and products in the past.

I answered number 4, because I've been taking hoodia recently, which I started with a new bout of motivation. I'm not big into unhealthy weight loss, but I figured anything that could boost healthy weight loss sounded good. I haven't really been taking it this week (no good reason, just haven't been choking down the pills).

Mostly I wanted the 'fat burning' property, more than the appetite suppressant, although, it may not exsist at all.

I wouldnt take anything. I dont believe those things are good for you and I left that kind of desperate stuff behind forever when I got banded. I wouldnt have taken them when I wasnt banded. As an adult anyway. I got put on Tenuate and Duromine when I was 16 and had a hip injury becuase I was a massive 7kg above my ideal weight. I feel so furious when I think about it now, those things made me nuts, I'd be up vacuuming my bedroom at 3 am. Speed! For a child!

Nuh uh, no way would I ever take anything like that again. Its not sustainable, band or no band. I think you've got 3 catories - Speed/amphetamine type substances which arent worth the health risks, silly stuff like Zetacap which are designed to make you lose a lot of weight from your wallet and then you have your amino acids/health supplements which may confer a teensy tiny benefit but really probably arent worth the money.

I am leaning towards "yes", but only if I had to be fully unfilled, and I was having a hard time with food/eating too much.

And even then it would depend on the type of medication. So maybe?

The only reason I had TWO weight loss surgeries is because almost none of that nonsense works and the few things that DO work are unsafe and work only for the short term. Snake Oil Salesmen...manipulating desperate people. They should be shot.

I DO take supplements, but the supplements I take are Vitamins and Calcium. But they are the same supplements I've taken forever...just in differing quantities and configurations. And I've added Protein, but not every day.

I need to lose 28 pounds before surgery. I am aiming towards the last week in July or the first week in August. I am in full blown menopause and my appetite is scary. Its an actual appetite-not head hunger-like growling in my stomach kind of appetite. Ah-hormones.

My band doc gave me a scrip for phentermine, its for 15 mg. I can take it 2x a day or once a day. The scrip is for 60 pills. It is saving my sanity. And it putting a rocket up my butt by jumpstarting the weight loss by allowing me control over my appetite.

I think of it like the band- a tool which helps me to the right thing. I am finally eating right and good. Keeping to 1,000-1,200 calories a day. The doc will need to check my blood pressure every 2 weeks. BTW the only problems I have besides being fat is apnea & high cholesteral which is controlled big time by 40 mg of Lipitor- I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure.

I took 2 for the first 4 days, one after Breakfast and one around 3:30. I always eat before taking one-something solid like a sandwhich or a lean cuisine. Never on a slim fast or something like grapes or yogurt. I don't get any jitters if I take it with a solid foundation in my stomach. After the first 4 days I am now taking only 1 late morning. My stomach has went down and I don't need 2 to keep control.

I have used it before and lost 30 pounds but of course put it back on after I went off them. Which is why I am being banded.

As a baby boomer and child of the sixties- I have taken real street speed , nothing like a baggie full of black beauties in your freezer to let you eat nothing but cheetos while loosing weight and cleaning the whole house in 15 minutes while rocking to Led Zepplin.

I have yet to even vacuum since I've been on these! LOL

I say if your doctor feels based on your history (and this is my lap band doc not my PCP) and you are being monitered and you practice some common sense and you don't have high blood pressure or heart problems then go for it. And you have got to eat. No flirting with fasting or forgetting to eat. Thats when you get the willies. You gotta eat.

BTW I've also been on Meridia in the past and it did zip. And I don't recall the name of that other drug that blocks fat but gives you a very attractive side effect of oily bowel discharge (can you say romantic? hee hee hee)

Anyway-To each his own but I am happy to have a some help.

If I knew it would really help, I would consider a supplement, but only if it was proven to be a new miracle pill. I took phentermines for years, blue and clears they're called on the street, or yellow jackets, but mine were the expensive prescription type, LOL. I think back now at how stupid I was to take them for so long and all I did was maintain my overweight status, which I guess was better than gaining.

Like VQ, I take supplements, such as cod liver oil pills, I haven't been sick with the flu or a cold in 10 years, (probably just jinxed the heck out of myself) and I just started taking B12 Vitamins, Water soluble, which are supposed to be easier on the liver. The first two I took, I thought I'd taken speed, what's up with that?

Would you be willing to list the supplements you take (vitamins)? I'd LOVE to go 10 years without the flu/cold!

My "former" pcp put me on Meridia back on January. I had mentioned to her that I was considering the band then and she flat-out told me she does not approve of any weight loss surgery and would not support me in it. She insisted I take the Meridia instead. Ugh, I felt awful. My heart raced, I was very nasuesous and lightheaded all the time. I will never take Meridia or Phentermine again. Does the hoodia several of you mentioned have similiar effects? Where do you buy it?

Ok, I am interested in the Hoodia thing too. Someone mentioned you can get "gittery". Can you take this if you have blood pressure issues? I think I need something until I can get my first fill.

My "former" pcp put me on Meridia back on January. I had mentioned to her that I was considering the band then and she flat-out told me she does not approve of any weight loss surgery and would not support me in it. She insisted I take the Meridia instead. Ugh, I felt awful. My heart raced, I was very nasuesous and lightheaded all the time. I will never take Meridia or Phentermine again. Does the hoodia several of you mentioned have similiar effects? Where do you buy it?

Susan

I had the SAME exact thing, she would not even listen to me about the band, and then stuck me on Merida. Boy, that stuff is awful...

My PCP is highly against any appetite suppresant he said everyone is very dangerous and puts you at a much increased risk of heart attack and stroke.

I was given an appetite suppresant called Quick Slim 30 by a chinese herbalist. I bought it fully expecting it not to work, but it did! It really helped with the head hunger. You do have to go off of it like a week out of the month. I stopped buying it the last time I ran out because I was trying to do Meal Replacement which didn't work. The ingredients all sounded healthy. The only stimulant I could think of was the green tea, which is supposed to be really good for you.

Alisma - diuretic

Aloe Vera - relieves Constipation, cleanses internal systems, aids in fat and sugar metabolism

Fo-Ti - promotes internal cleansing, detoxifies and strengthens the blood, invigorates kidneys and liver, increases vitality

Fructus Mori - improves digestion, increases energy

Goji Berries - increases energy by improving blood circulation, provides nutrition to kidneys

Grape Seed Extract - strengthens blood vessels, reduces inflammation

Green Tea - aids digestion, detoxifies, reduces cholesterol and triglycerides, enhances immune function

Hawthorn Berries - strengthens the heart by enhancing enzyme metabolism and oxygen utilization in the heart muscle

Lotus Leaf - improves urination

Reishi Mushroom - improves energy levels, reduces cholesterol and blood lipid levels

Spirulina (Blue-Green Algae) - increases energy and mood, provides carotenoids and other nutrients beneficial to those who don't consume several servings of vegetables each day, is a complete source of Protein, especially helpful in obesity

Sweet Tea Vine - improves Protein metabolism, detoxifies, improves immune-system functioning

The good thing too, now that I think about it, is that they come in those little capsules you can pull apart and there is powder inside. Does anyone take a pill like this and put it in yogurt or something? Has anyone heard of these Quick Slim 30 and did they work for you?

Audree:clap2:

I have been looking and thinking...but they are all soooo... expensive...i think I will just rely on the lapband...it and I are old friends...if i work at it!

:xena_banana: becky