Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Acid Reflux (Gerd)

I have had my lapband for almost 2 years (june 3rd will make 2 years) I have lost 75lbs. I love my band. However, I am having issues. Now, when people see "acid reflux" they automatically say... "band is too tight, go see the dr." etc. Well. about a year ago, i started having severe acid reflux, where i am actually waking up at night choking on it. Even sitting straight up to sleep. I went to my doctor, he unfilled me. I still had acid reflux, but it was taken care of by pepcid. I got a great fill and wham... the severe acid reflux is back. So he unfilled me again, did the barrium swallow... and seen i did have acid reflux even with out a fill. So he put me on protonix for 2 months, which worked amazing. Gave me a great fill... and kept me on the protonix. Which worked great for the first 3 weeks. Now... 1.5 months later i am taking protonix in the am 30 mins before i eat, then around 4pm i take pepcid and around 8pm im throwing up my food just to get relief from the acid reflux... not bc im stuck. Then i chew some tums, go to bed sitting up. I really dont know what to do. I made a dr appt to see my dr on the 4th to discuss this... but all he will want to do is unfill me. But my fill is fine. I never get stuck. And the thing is, my acid reflux flares up 1-2 hours AFTER i eat. I get that "stuck" feeling 2 hours later. I think whats happening is ... the food i eat is sitting in my pouch and slowly going through to my stomach. The acid is coming up and getting stuck in the pouch with the left over food. And i end up throwing up the food in the pouch.

Im at a loss... scared. I dont want an unfill nor do i want anything to mess up my throat, or band slippage. With all the fills and unfills... ive gained 16lbs. I recently lost 9 lbs with this last fill. So the fill is great. This acid reflux is killing me. Is anyone else dealing with this? I feel so .. blah! Any words are welcomed

I had exactly the same problem and after a year of near drowning sessions and bad lung infections I was diagnosed with a slipped band and a swollen pouch. I had surgery to reposition the band on 6 Jan and now feel amazing. I have not had any reflux do's at all and can now eat acidly foods again like fruit and orange juice and wine. These things have been off my menu for the last 2 1/2 years due to the reflux.

You need help. Get your surgeon to do tests to check if your band is in the wrong position.

I have had my lapband for almost 2 years (june 3rd will make 2 years) I have lost 75lbs. I love my band. However' date=' I am having issues. Now, when people see "acid reflux" they automatically say... "band is too tight, go see the dr." etc. Well. about a year ago, i started having severe acid reflux, where i am actually waking up at night choking on it. Even sitting straight up to sleep. I went to my doctor, he unfilled me. I still had acid reflux, but it was taken care of by pepcid. I got a great fill and wham... the severe acid reflux is back. So he unfilled me again, did the barrium swallow... and seen i did have acid reflux even with out a fill. So he put me on protonix for 2 months, which worked amazing. Gave me a great fill... and kept me on the protonix. Which worked great for the first 3 weeks. Now... 1.5 months later i am taking protonix in the am 30 mins before i eat, then around 4pm i take pepcid and around 8pm im throwing up my food just to get relief from the acid reflux... not bc im stuck. Then i chew some tums, go to bed sitting up. I really dont know what to do. I made a dr appt to see my dr on the 4th to discuss this... but all he will want to do is unfill me. But my fill is fine. I never get stuck. And the thing is, my acid reflux flares up 1-2 hours AFTER i eat. I get that "stuck" feeling 2 hours later. I think whats happening is ... the food i eat is sitting in my pouch and slowly going through to my stomach. The acid is coming up and getting stuck in the pouch with the left over food. And i end up throwing up the food in the pouch.

Im at a loss... scared. I dont want an unfill nor do i want anything to mess up my throat, or band slippage. With all the fills and unfills... ive gained 16lbs. I recently lost 9 lbs with this last fill. So the fill is great. This acid reflux is killing me. Is anyone else dealing with this? I feel so .. blah! Any words are welcomed[/quote']

Jazzy

You are describing the symptoms of a Hiatal Hernia and possibly a H Pylori bacteria which causes GERD. I would question my physician about the possibility of either or both. I was banded in the 9th and had a hiatal hernia repaired. I had those exact symptoms pre-operatively. Since surgery, even though it was only 2 weeks ago I have had NO reflux and can actually drink coffee now which I couldn't do BC of the awful reflux it caused.

Congrats on the weight loss it is good to see someone with positive results 2 yrs out and still happy with the decision.

D

I had exactly the same problem and after a year of near drowning sessions and bad lung infections I was diagnosed with a slipped band and a swollen pouch. I had surgery to reposition the band on 6 Jan and now feel amazing. I have not had any reflux do's at all and can now eat acidly foods again like fruit and orange juice and wine. These things have been off my menu for the last 2 1/2 years due to the reflux.

You need help. Get your surgeon to do tests to check if your band is in the wrong position.

I had the barium swallow done about a month ago and he said the band looked fine. Will the barium swallow tell the dr if it needs to be repositioned?

Jazzy

You are describing the symptoms of a Hiatal Hernia and possibly a H Pylori bacteria which causes GERD. I would question my physician about the possibility of either or both. I was banded in the 9th and had a hiatal hernia repaired. I had those exact symptoms pre-operatively. Since surgery, even though it was only 2 weeks ago I have had NO reflux and can actually drink coffee now which I couldn't do BC of the awful reflux it caused.

Congrats on the weight loss it is good to see someone with positive results 2 yrs out and still happy with the decision.

D

Thank you for your response. Prior to surgery i had a Hiatal Hernia, and now when i tell him i feel its back... he says "well i repaired that during srugery." and when i ask .. "well can they come back??" He says, they can but i dont feel as though you have one. " Its almost as if he is in denial. Bc everytime i go in... which has been... 4-5 times he unfills me. I had to demand a barrium swallow. He said the band looked fine, but he could see i had acid reflux and put me on protonix. WHich worked great for the 1st 3 weeks. Now... im back to this. Im miserable. Protonix doesnt help ANYTHING now. Nothing helps to be honest... throwing up seems to be my best option.

I know exactly how you feel. The past 4 months or so I've had bad reflux too. To where I have to prop 3 pillows under my head and lie on my back to sleep. I'm awake half the nite tasting acid and coughing. I'm not too tight either. I never get stuck but I do vomit about 2x a week. At least I don't feel too tight. I've been too tight before and it doesn't feel like this. I finally went to the doctor last week and he gave me Prilosec. I take that and 4 OTC 150 mg Zantac's before bed. I know that's alot, but it really helps. I pop Rolaids like they're going out of business.

Good luck to you. I know how it feels - you're miserable when you can't sleep.< /p>

Marci

He should check you out under fluoroscope. Fill and unfill, and see if he sees anything out of the ordinary.

If you don't have any success, try another surgeon. I did and I was filled under fluoroscope, and they took me rite to my fill line.

Acid Reflux is a symptom of something that is not rite, even Gallbladder, So good luck with the surgeon. But throwing up is not the thing to do, for sure you will end up with a slip, or if your not swollen now you will be.

See your Dr....

I just wrote same thing after almost 3 years lost 87 pounds was at 161 last year the acid reflex started just like yours woke up shocking and all. This year he unfilled me because he said I was to tight mind you I was at 5 1/2. Gain 30 pounds after the unfilled we tired to fill little by little got to 5cc last month and heartburn started right after I ate anything so my puked to make it better. So we went back to 4cc 3 weeks ago I have an appointment with him today at 3pm. I know I gain pounds I was 199 when unfilled then a week at 5cc was 186 now I must be back or even over 200. I am so stress out I don't wanna be at a no restriction but once I past 5cc heartburn starts again. I am wondering if I can get medication for it and stay at over 5cc.