Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Consult On Thursday

Hey everyone. Brand new here. I turned 30 in Feb, am a single mom to a 4 y/o princess and the last time I weighed myself I was 281. That was last year (Dec), I have been scared to step on the scales since. My mom suggested looking into the lap band in Jan, so I have been doing all kinds of research and this site has been a HUGE help. I went to a WLS seminar on Saturday and have my first consult on Thursday. After being heavy all my life and dealing with the anxiety and depression that comes with it I am MORE than to take this step in my life. If I still weigh around 280, my BMI would be 44. So ready for this part of my life to be over.

I live in Northern VA, will be going to Fair Oaks Hospital for my Consult and I have Anthem insurance. Anyone in the area, had their procedure done at Fair Oaks or have Anthem? Any info about the hospital and especially the process with Anthem would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi new comer. I am kinda new also. That first step is looking at the number on the scale. It was for me anyhow. Just get on the scale, and realize its the last time you will see that number. You can make yourself well :)

Thank's for the welcome. Here's hoping it really would be the last time. Just called my insurance and they said I'm not covered. I feel it's going to be an even longer road than I thought. *sigh*

Hi mommee2one,

I am new also and not too far from you. I live in Laurel, Md and I have my first consultation on April 9th. I am very curious to know what to expect in that first meeting. I am scheduled to see the surgeon and nutritionist the same day. After your appointment can you please let me know how your consultation went?

Did your surgeons office have you fill out about 20 - 25 pages worth of information before they scheduled your consultation? Mine did and it made me realize how unhealthy I truly am, but this is a great turn for the better in my life and all of ours.

Here's to the our healthy future...CHEERS!

I will def let you know how it went. They had me fill out a 9 page form, not sure what else could have been asked that would need 10 more pages lol.

Good luck at your consult as well. Mine isn't until late in the afternoon, maybe I'll hear from you first lol.

Hey there! I am a newbie too. Just went to a seminar on Friday at Stafford Hospital and have my first consult this Friday. What a coincidence. I also have Anthem. Are you going through the Bluepoint Group or someone else? I have the choice of Inova at Fair Oaks or Potomac. Potomac is closer to us.

The office called me on Monday to say that Anthem will cover my surgery without any dieting pre-requisits. Good luck with you visit. Look forward to hearing about it.

@mbmama - Yeah I am going to Fair Oaks with the Bluepoint Group, that's where my seminar was. I just set up the consult the same day.

I called Anthem myself and they told me I'm not covered. I'm hoping the dr's office will be able to get me approved for the surgery. Wish me luck tomorrow! Congrats on yours being approved already!

Well I went to my consult and it went really well. Doc agreed that lapband was a great choice for me and didn't try to force me into the bypass or sleeve. I was kinda scared of that after the seminar. I have to try to convince my work to add the surgery to the list of benefits the insurance can cover. They said I can still schedule my psych test and my sleep test. He did say he wanted me to lose 10-20 pounds before the surgery though. Oh and that my total weight loss goal should be around 140 pounds, which is more than I thought. Brings my goal weight down to 149. I don't even know what that would look like on me lol.

Glad everything went well. Love the last statement! I have been thinking the same thing about myself. My appointment is tomorrow morning at 9.

Lol, I don't think i have seen that weight since before high school. Anyways, Good luck tomorrow! Let me know how it goes for you!

Everything went well! I am so excited. He said I should be able to have the surgery within 2 months. :D He did not give me a goal weight or anything like that but was very realistic and positive about what I should expect. He also did not pressure me in to one of the other surgeries which was very reassuring.

So far, I have my psych eval scheduled, the meetings with the exercise, behavior, and nutritionist person, and all of my tests. Potomac Hospital has a cool thing where you can make an appointment and have all those tests done in one day. All this stuff will be done by Apr. 24th!

Holy cow that's awesome! Congrats on being able to do everything so quickly!

I have my sleep study scheduled already. I emailed HR to see if they could add WLS to the benefits we cover, we'll see how that goes though.

@mommee2one - I like your comment, "I don't even know what that would look like on me lol." I think about that ALOT when considering my goal weight. No matter what it is I will look completely different lol. I am excited and scared all at the same time lol

@mbmama - congratulations on receiving an estimated surgery date within 2 months.

That is what I am hoping for. My intial meeting is approaching - April 9th. It seems like it is taking forever :)

Is the sleep study to determine if you have sleep apnea?

Hello all and welcome...

One piece of advice I can offer is to ask your insurance companies for their bariatric policy coverage in writing. Over the phone they may dismiss you and tell you it is not covered but in reality the written policy may say something different. Don't take that initial inquiry as the end answer.

I was told by Cigna it was not covered however their written documentation said they will cover it if it is medically necessary and certain criteria was met such as a 6 month minimum supervised diet and all documentation.

Remember folks you're the customer and you pay for the insurance so don't hesitate to grill them for answers.

Best of Luck,,

Jim