Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I had heard some say it doesn't hurt at all and others say it was terrible. I went in pretty relaxed because I don't really have a fear of needles etc. they gave me a couple of numbing shots, no biggie but THEN he started trying to find the port. I layed down, I stood up, I layed down....after almost blacking out twice (no idea why) and about 7 numbing shots later he finally found it and filled it I think about 6cc. Par for the course I guess. What I wasn't expecting (this was yesterday) is how totally crappy I feel today!! Of course the site is painful (there are several stab wounds) but more than that is just that I feel weak and nauseated and just plain yucky. Is this gonna happen everytime (the crappy feeling)? I don't want to scare anybody but now I am gonna be afraid every time I need a fill! Please somebody make me feel better and let me know it's gonna be easier. The doc didn't use floro but he did use an ultra sound. I took a pic of the right pin prick when he finally found it so we know right where it is next time. Ok just needed to vent and hopefully hear it will b better. Is it normal to feel this way the next day? I did clear liquid 24 hrs and was able to eat dinner ok tonight. I do feel restriction which is awesome. Anyway, any advice or encouragement would be GREATLY appreciated :)

I have never had a problem. My Dr doesn't use fluoro or numbing shots. Sometimes I have been poked twice and sometimes it bleeds a little as it is possible to hit a blood vessel.

I did bleed some. So u don't feel yucky the next day?

No I feel fine. Not sure what is making you feel so yucky.

Oh gees to find mine can take 7 or 8 times lol!!! even when I tell them where it is....its under my scar which is unusual so they start poking where they think it it....I watch as this huge needle is sticking out of my gut as I have a drink to make sure there isnt too much in there!!!! we dont have the numbing cream or anything here either...I did have my first 2 fills by xray at my largest but now I am confident of where my port is it usually takes about 3 goes and I have lil band aids everywhere...It does feel a lil tender that first night, especially if they have poked n proded alot!!!!! good luck

I didn't know if it was maybe cause they gave me so many shots of the numbing stuff or what. Mine is under my scar too. He jabbed me about 6-8 times and dug and dug. Said I hAd a lot of scar tissue. Told him all that digging wouldn't make it better hehe. Just hope next times easier

I made them draw a diagram on my notes so they know from now on!!! but I have a pretty high pain threshold lol!!! and well 4 years In I am so used to them.....But I do remember back to my first and it was all still tender!!!!! so it would of been uncomfy!! xox

I had him put his finger on it while I took a pic! Uggg was awful! Glad to hear it gets better!

Ok - I am new to all this - freshly banded and all - and no fill yet. I am not being sarcastic at all, but isnt it completely obvious where the port is - mine sticks out like a frisby on my side , whenever i try and turn over// At what stage did u get your first fill?? Sarah x

I have so much fat that it is hard to find!!! it is hard to feel and knowing that the site is only as large as your thumb nail it is so easy to lose them.....especially early on...I guess it also depends where you are your biggest....My doctors say it is unusual to be under the scar...above the scar I don't have as much fat so it is hard to find mine!! I cant feel it myself...well I probably could but ive never tried!!

It is common for them to be quite deep and hard to find, especially at first. As you lose weight it should become easier.The thing is they not only have to find the port but they have to hit the membrane on it in the right spot.

OIC!! As i said total beginner here - just so aware of where my portal is cos it hurts so frickin much!!! I have a huge belly - now worried they have not burried it enough!!

I had my first fill last week. My NP was awesome! No numbing. She just felt around and one poke and she was in. I did bleed a little and sore that night.

Going for first fill friday, and I'm scared. the port feels like its right on the scar. Hope they get it the first time.

Well he said I had lots of scar tissue which makes it hard cause he says it feels the same consistency as the scar. I am three weeks out. He promised it gets easier. I am hopeful next time gets better. Also he said the scar tissue will improve over time.

Same consistency as the port I meant