Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Info From The Pros

I was wondering if some of you could tell me your average day food and exercise wise. I am gearing up for sergury, I have my diet and lab work up next week. I am trying to wrap my head around how things will change. I have been reading here for about a month now and I really want this to work for me. Also I'm curious if most of you tend to eat the same thing every because it's easy. And finally, I often have times when I am running around and don't have time to prepare a proper meal, usually I get fast food. What do you do when this happens? Sorry so many questions but I think for me to be successful, the more I know about what to expect the better.

I'll start it off by saying your eating will come in different stages, each with their own foods and habits.

1) Pre-op diet - follow your Dr's instructions

2) Post op diet, usually 30 days, liquids, mushies, soft foods, then regular foods - follow your Dr.'s instructions

3) Standard diet based upon calories, portion sizes, etc. You do this for a few months until you get your band adjusted properly.

4) Green Zone phase, you'll figure this out when you get there!!!

Now everyone else can jump in.

I understand all of the stages. I was basically referring to after all of that once you are just living your life.

If I have to rush to eat, I don't. You can't. You have to be able to have time to sit and wait in between bites. I usually can't do fast food either (burger Buns, soft wraps....they just don't work usually). I do find I eat the same things, not every day but there are things I know seem to be okay so I know they won't cause me too much grief if I'm paying attention. That's the thing....even after being banded for 1.5 years if I don't pay attention & take my time, I pay for it. That being said, my doctor said that no food would be off limits (however this isn't really true because at least while still in the weight loss stage, there are certain foods I just can't eat like doughy breads). However, I'd rather lose this weight finally than eat at McDonald's!

A few of my "go-to" items that work instead of fast food: Starkist pre-made tuna salad pouches, deli meats...especially turkey, vienna sausages. These are items you could run into any supermarket (instead of a fast food place), pick up quickly and eat easily. Well you would need a plastic spoon or fork for the tuna salad. Sometimes, I also make up 2 or 3 Protein Shakes at the beginning of the day and keep them in a fridge at work (or a small insulated lunch box). That way, I have them if I have to run out at lunch or something. Keeps me from stopping somewhere along the way. Best wishes and blessings to you on this journey!

Others have addressed food so I'll go to your exercise question. Some people say you can lose weight with the band without exercising. Maybe you can. For me, however, exercise has become really important and while I haven't joined a gym, I do try to exercise every day, whether it be a walk (just staring to jog!), cycle (current favorite!), swim or dance. My husband and I have been dancing for 8 years now but it is only since starting to lose weight that I have really understood what I was missing out on before - now I can dance all night. Cycling - started out struggling to hit 10km, now a small ride is 50 - 60km, plus we have hooked up with a local group for regular Sunday rides, so our social life has improved. Swimming - always been easy for me, now my husband is taking adult swim classes to join me in the pool. Walking - best time to chat with my husband.

In case you didn't pick up on the other theme here - I have a great support person in my husband. I strongly encourage you to have a champion on your side as that will make your journey so much easier and successful.

Best of luck.