Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, we can all agree that the first and foremost benefit of weight loss surgery is the health benefits. But that being said, the second greatest benefit(to me at least) was that for the very first time in my life I was able to shop in the normal size sections of the clothing store, and for the first time in my life I actually had choices in style, and for the first time in my life I actually saw the person who I always though I was in the mirror...not the caricature that stole my image for the last half a century. I think I speak for all of us on this one. By the time I had lost 50 pounds I had to throw out all my clothing, everything, the only thing I was able to still use were my socks. So a crash course in learning to dress well was in order...I'm alway reminded of the scene in the movie "Moscow on the Hudson" with Robin Williams when he experienced an American supermarket for the first time after defecting from the Soviet Union...he was so overwhelmed with the selections that he passed out. My wife remembers my eyes tearing when we went to Macy's to get me a new sport jacket, the last time I was there I purchased a size 58 and there were only two or three choices in the "Portly" section. I had just put on a size 46 and it was loose, I had to fight back full blown tears.

I'd love to hear about others in this forum that have lost a good chunk of weight and are now discovering or re-discoving the joys of dressing. Post some shopping tips, style tips for the newly slim. I've got some great tips and resources for those of you about to transition into a new wardrobe.

I now worship at the alter of Brioni, Canali and Zegna!

6dcdea22-1-1.jpg

Cheers!

Eli the WineGuyD

Looking good, Eli the WineguyD. Congrats on your weight loss. My son is doing the smae thing as you. Enjoying the heck out of doing it, too!

Thanks kll724, you and your son should post some life stories about your new wardrobes!

Looking very "Mad Men-esque"....congrats! I'm looking forward to a new wardrobe too!

I definitely gravitate to vintage...I suppose it's just a stage..but I love that I can have fun with it.

A new wardrobe is just around the corner for you....post some pics when you hit the size you've been dreaming of.

Let me start my telling you that I love your post and specially the title of your post.... congratulations on your weight lost.

I too really enjoy shopping, and even my husband enjoys going shopping with me, and suggesting different styles. Good thing we were both banded last year so he gets how excited I get going shopping. :)

For me i just wand to dress like it used to. I love Christopher Banks and clothes like such. Clothes from RI Newport sailing clothes. I cant wait to shop away!! Lol DH has already started a small savings for me so i will be ready! ;)

Let me start my telling you that I love your post and specially the title of your post.... congratulations on your weight lost.

I too really enjoy shopping, and even my husband enjoys going shopping with me, and suggesting different styles. Good thing we were both banded last year so he gets how excited I get going shopping. :)

Did you wait till you drop a lot of sizes before shopping for a new wardrobe or did you do it piece by piece gradually?

For me i just wand to dress like it used to. I love Christopher Banks and clothes like such. Clothes from RI Newport sailing clothes. I cant wait to shop away!! Lol DH has already started a small savings for me so i will be ready! ;)

Buy tight fitting...they'll fit better later and you'll get more use out of them.

First I donated all my big sizes. Then I've been replacing them little by little. My surgery was done on 8/19/11 and I was size 20 and now a normal size 12.

First I donated all my big sizes. Then I've been replacing them little by little. My surgery was done on 8/19/11 and I was size 20 and now a normal size 12.

To borrow a phrase..."You go girl" ;)

Okay' date=' we can all agree that the first and foremost benefit of weight loss surgery is the health benefits. But that being said, the second greatest benefit(to me at least) was that for the very first time in my life I was able to shop in the normal size sections of the clothing store, and for the first time in my life I actually had choices in style, and for the first time in my life I actually saw the person who I always though I was in the mirror...not the caricature that stole my image for the last half a century. I think I speak for all of us on this one. By the time I had lost 50 pounds I had to throw out all my clothing, everything, the only thing I was able to still use were my socks. So a crash course in learning to dress well was in order...I'm alway reminded of the scene in the movie "Moscow on the Hudson" with Robin Williams when he experienced an American supermarket for the first time after defecting from the Soviet Union...he was so overwhelmed with the selections that he passed out. My wife remembers my eyes tearing when we went to Macy's to get me a new sport jacket, the last time I was there I purchased a size 58 and there were only two or three choices in the "Portly" section. I had just put on a size 46 and it was loose, I had to fight back full blown tears.

I'd love to hear about others in this forum that have lost a good chunk of weight and are now discovering or re-discoving the joys of dressing. Post some shopping tips, style tips for the newly slim. I've got some great tips and resources for those of you about to transition into a new wardrobe.

I now worship at the alter of Brioni, Canali and Zegna!

Cheers!

Eli the WineGuyD[/quote']

I love this title! It made me want to read. I understand the tears in the store. It is funny people say your style changes after you lose weight. I say they are wrong, the style was always there, but the clothing makers think all heavy people wear are old people clothes. There are just more options when you are a regular size. There are so many more choices for women, but you will see all the heavy people wearing the same stuff that came form the 2 plus size stores in the area. I always say, I am ready shop on the other side of the aisle...meaning I don't have to ask, "where is the big girl section."

I am so excited. For the same reason. If you see something you like you might actually be able to wear it. I always shop in the large section with a small budget an had to find the least horrible stuff on sale. My skinny hubby doesn't get it. One of my first stops will be Victoria's secret for a matching bra and underwear set. When I was skinny many years ago the didn't exist so now as I loose weight I am ready to go to town

I don't have to ask, "where is the big girl section."

The things normal weight people take for granted! I went recently into a mall and there was an A/X Armani Exchange...I thought to myself what the hell and went in and sure enough I found clothing in my size, they were the largest end of the spectrum, but none the less A/X was the last place I thought I could ever shop in. Hey Jackie's Girl...throw out some shopping tips when you get the chance...things like great transition stores or brands for people in the midst of the band weight loss.

as I loose weight I am ready to go to town

Be sure to post some pics! ;-)