Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded In Ontario Canada

I am from Nova Scotia but I am getting banded at SWLC in Mississauga on April 18th - doing my pre-op diet now and I'm so excited!!

I was banded at the Slimband clinic in Toronto.

Hey AmberH, I am getting banded on April 18th at SWLC in Mississauga as well......small world!! Are you with Dr. Cobourn?

Chaya,

I am getting banded by Dr. Coburn - I'm on the pre-op diet now are you?

Hi Amber.....I am with Dr. Coburn too. What time is your surgery booked for? I didnt have to do the pre-op diet, so I am just waiting for Faiza or Sema to let me know exactly what I need to do between now and April 18th. How long do you have to stay in T.O for after surg?

Chaya:

I'm flying in the night before and I'm travelling down to London ON. right after surgery. They told me I could leave right after my surgery and my own family doctor can do my follow up. I will be in ON just a few days.

Hi guys. I was done on March 29 at SWLC. So I am on day 5 post op. Dr. Cobourn did a good job i think. My pain has been very managable. The gas issue did give me a bit of a work over though to be honest but, that is mostly gone now. I cannot say enough about the crew there, They are very professional and friendly. My experience there at a private medical clinic shows me why our American cousins like the private health care system from a personal interaction point of view. I was impressed beyond belief.

The pre op diet is manageable. The shakes are actually quite good i thought. I will tell you though that it does get a bit old after a week and really old after 2 weeks. Actually called Kim Midwinter the day before my surgery to see if i could just got out to a real dinner the night before. She said NO and I complied. Man I wish i wasn't so disiplined. LOL

The surgery was on time and fast. The anestisia guy was great. He put me out so easy. I have had many surgeries over the years and never been put out that good. The nurse I had in pre op was very nice and friendly. The nurses after surgery were also great. Definitley not like our usual hospital staff we are acustom to.

Word of note though>> anyone who accompanies you will not be allowed to sit with you to wait for surgery. They will be made to wait downstairs from the time you arrive until they are called to take you home. SO don't be offended by this. There is shopping malls and coffe shops around the clinic. You will be in surgery before you know it anyway.

I actually lost 20+ lbs in that 2 weeks.

Only real pain issue I have had again is the gas pain. Try to manage that with walking and gas x strips not the chewables they didnt really help. I got off the demerol 2 days after surgery and was ok that way. The incisions did not hurt at all. I do not even feel the band inside me.

You will definitley have swelling inside wear the band is. Drink very very slow in small amounts. It took me one full day just to drink 500ml of Water for 3 days. Now i can almost drink normal. If you drink to fast you will feel it and it's not fun. I found if i stand up straight and push shoulders back that helped aliviate it.

It does get better very fast.. I sure am looking forward to puree foods.. Actual meat woo-hoo.

Feel free to ask any questions

Helmut, thanks so much - its nice to hear from someone who's actually been where I'm going!! It's funny I was gagging on the shakes the first two days - now they seem delicious and I really don't feel very hungry anymore. Good luck with your weight loss and thanks again!!

Hi Helmut,

I too am going to SWLC.....how long did take from the time you got there till when you were allowed to go home? I am trying to gage how long my husband will be hanging around waiting for me......

Did you have to meet with anyone from the clinic prior to your surgery? I dont have to do the pre-op liquid diet, but I am supposed to be getting the band done April 18th and Faiza (or anyone else) has not called to give me any further instructions......once they received approval for my financing, I have only heard that it will be April 18th and nothing else. I have sent emails to Sema and she has told me that all my inquires have been forwarded onto Faiza.

I am not the most patient person, and I dont want to be pestering them either, but is it normal to feel a little up in the air?

Thanks for all your advise!

Chaya - did you get a patient coordinator yet? I have Kim Midwinter and she sent me the info packet - with preop diet and blood work that needs to be completed. I totally pestered them b/c although they are very nice they do leave you hanging somedays

Thanks Amber, I did not get a patient coordinator as of yet. I will start pestering asap! Thanks!

Hi Helmut,

I too am going to SWLC.....how long did take from the time you got there till when you were allowed to go home? I am trying to gage how long my husband will be hanging around waiting for me......

Did you have to meet with anyone from the clinic prior to your surgery? I dont have to do the pre-op liquid diet, but I am supposed to be getting the band done April 18th and Faiza (or anyone else) has not called to give me any further instructions......once they received approval for my financing, I have only heard that it will be April 18th and nothing else. I have sent emails to Sema and she has told me that all my inquires have been forwarded onto Faiza.

I am not the most patient person, and I dont want to be pestering them either, but is it normal to feel a little up in the air?

Thanks for all your advise!

Hello

I went in at 7:30am and was out the door by approx noon. Not bad for us we sleep through it LOL.

I would just give them a call. Faiza is very nice young lady i'm sure she won't mind

Hello fellow bandsters:)

I was banded on March 30 with Dr Coburn....anyone else in love with him? Something about him just so reassuring!

I found the whole clinic just wonderful! From Sema and on to Kim...Although I did feel like I was left hanging briefly here and there....

So I'm six days post op-I can't believe it's been so easy :)

Down five pounds....praying to God that it will continue :) 37 pounds to Goal :)

I've already scheduled my first fill for April 27th :)

Here's wishing lots of success to all of us at SWLC :)