Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

During my pre-op evaluation I had a borderline EKG, they repeated it with the same results. It didn't say what was borderline. I just got a phone call that my PCP is making me come in and have another one tomorrow. Freaking out a little. Anyone else have this happen?

Ohh no, I'm having my EKG tomorrow, now I'm nervous..,

It could be a variety of things making it borderline. Number one, don't be nervous. Anxiety makes your heart race, fast heart rate can cause a borderline reading. There could have been interference with one of the leads. Your heart could have been in a funky rhythm. It doesn't mean you're going to have a heart attack or your heart is going to stop beating :) There's tons of reasons for borderline and it's always safest to get it double-checked. This coming from a girl who has had probably 30 EKG's, and two cardiac ablations after my heart randomly went into an arrythmia and my rate went to 270. Just breathe!!

Thanks Jen 1381.

Easier said than done when trying to not be anxious.

I had an abnormal EKG as well. Doctors made a big deal n sent me to cardiologist. He did a 3rd EKG and said it was no biggie. My heart sits a little tilted and makes it look thick at the bottom. They freaked me out for no reason

I hope it's nothing too. I really hope this one is normal. If not it's off to the cardiologist I go. I sincerely hope there is nothing wrong with my heart, and I also don't want my surgery that's in two weeks postponed. I'll choose not having a heart problem over the delay any day.

Momba- was yours postponed?

*manda

Darned autocorrect

Ok it was 2 weeks to surgery when this started n I was freaking out!! I told my doctor I'd never forgive her if I had to postpone! She promised to rush everything. She got my cardiologist appntmnt the next day and when he heard how soon it was, he had me call the surgery center and made them stay on the line while he faxed the clearance. Everyone was great, I was just a nervous wreck! Everything was completed two days before surgery!

A couple things here:

1. It's not likely to be interference with a lead. Interference with a lead is very easy to distinguish on an EKG and any experienced clinician performing the test on you would be able to tell that.

2. As someone else mentioned here, it could be that you simply have a different anatomy. "Borderline" can mean a lot of different things. "Borderline" in what kind of way?

3. Realize that a lot of this is just meant to play it safe. All WLS requires general anesthesia and if there is an underlying heart condition, it will be important to know this prior to induction of anesthesia in order to properly administer the level of anesthestic required in your situation. No other facet of Lapband surgery is stressful on the cardiovascular system. The drugs used in general anesthesia reduce the blood pressure and can alter a patient's heart rate. Therefore, if you have a condition with your heart, choices can be made to use a different array of anesthetics that do the same job but in a way that is safer for the patient.

I hope all is well for you and that all goes as you want it to go. Cheers,

Jason "The Night Shift Nurse"

St. Louis, MO

Thanks everyone.

I had a repeat done which was normal.

I'm afraid even though I'm in the medical field I forget my knowledge when it has to do with me.

Thanks night shift RN!

Thanks everyone.

I had a repeat done which was normal.

I'm afraid even though I'm in the medical field I forget my knowledge when it has to do with me.

Thanks night shift RN!

You're quite welcome!