Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Couple of Questions...

I am one month post-op and have my first fill scheduled for March 7, as well as my first visit to the dietician. I have been measuring out a cup of food per meal, and sometimes that feels just right and sometimes I feel overly full afterwards. I'm really working on eating more slowly and learning to recognize that soft stop signal, but it's a learning process. Lately I haven't felt like having my Atkins Protein Shake on the way to work in the morning because I feel full, and I really want to get that in to get my metabolism going in the morning as well as needing the Protein.< /p>

My question is if that one cup amount seems reasonable for someone without a first fill? I've been having a little lower abdominal discomfort and it got me worrying that maybe I was eating too much...but I think I'd feel it higher if my pouch was too full, wouldn't I? What I'm feeling is probably gas...?

Am I going to have to spend the rest of my life (or however long I can keep the band) worrying if I've messed up my band every time I get abdominal pain or discomfort???

Thanks!

Emily

I think the worry is normal in the beginning. New toy & all that. At least I hope that's it! 'Cuz I'm worried every second of every day! (Ok, it's not THAT bad... just close!)

I've heard rumors that if you don't eat for 3 hours before laying down you'll be looser / hungrier in the morning. I've been trying to hold to that & I wake up starving. Of course I'm not restricted either, lol, so maybe I'm just not eating enough!

As for the cup... if you're over-satisfied, cut back. If you're not satisfied enough, add to it. If you can learn to feel your body now... you'll be ahead of the game later when you're restricted!!

I'm taking these 6 weeks off from dieting (except for surgeon's orders). I'm trying to just focus on healing & listening to my body & not worry about the scale. I know that route isn't for everyone... but so far so good!

Congrats on the 1 month!!

For me, I am certainly always aware that I have a lapband, but I really do not always worry that every twinge or discomfort is associated with my band.

I think that because with restriction, we often get to actually take in very little food. Because of that, once something moves into the lower stomach, you are much more 'aware' of it, than you would have been pre-band. I think this is simply because you're stomach actually DOES get empty. I know mine does. So my sensations of my lower stomach being full or empty seems heightened sometimes. If I overeat soft foods, it's very obvious, from the lower stomach sensations. I'm thinking MAYBE it's because my lower stomach has actually shrunk, as we've always been told. Neato.. :couch2:

Some people say they forget that they have a band. I don't think I have really ever forgotten. But, I sure can't worry about it constantly or I'd be a basket-case. I think it's perfectly normal, being newly banded, however, to worry about it. This too shall pass.:)

(Have I been clear as mud?)

Like Janet said, it is very normal to worry about everything in the beginning, it really should ease up as you get used to living with the band.

I for one after the band am very gassy, so yes you probably are feeling gas pressure. My dr recommended taking a gasx (or something similar) tablet every day to help combat that.

Also, Besides the amount, the type of food would matter too, as to what will make you feel full faster. For example a cup of Soup would not make you as full as a cup of potatoes - does that make sense. Which would be why sometimes 1 cup is ok and sometimes it seems like too much. I had a kinda hard time figuring out what the "full" feeling was and to stop eating. A few nasty PB's helped get that feeling stuck into my head.

Hope this helps ....

Thanks, everyone...that does help! I am really looking forward to continuing this journey and learning more about how to treat my band and how it reacts to things as I go. For now, I'll try to quit obsessing about it :couch2:, but I do appreciate the reassurance...you guys are great.

Emily