Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeing the Doc tomorrow

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks to every one here on LBT that has been so kind and supportive these past two weeks. It's really because of all of you that I decided to take the necessary steps to get the band. :couch2:

I am seeing the doctor tomorrow to get all the details. I know I'm just at the start of the process, but this is a big deal to me. It's like I'm taking the plunge and really going for it. I met two other people here in Portugal who also had the surgery, and I was told the local hospital here has performed a number of gastric banding procedures and that the staff there is excellent. The bonus is that the government insurance here will pick up the tab. The down side is I have to be put on a waiting list, so I'm not sure about my date, unless I can find some connections at the hospital it might be difficult, but my husbands uncle is a doctor here so he may know someone.

This is a hard step for me because I can't tell my family (my mom, sister, grandparents) who I am closest to and to whom I usually tell everything. I tested the waters by telling my sister I was *thinking* about doing it and I showed her the before and after thread here. The next thing I know my mom is calling me up telling me how I better not get any surgery, that I just need to diet more.

I'm just glad to know that I can come here to get the support I'm going to be lacking from my *real* family for awhile. Many thanks to everyone.

Aww K@t... sometimes family members get caught up in worry... they hear about some of the horror stories that accompany other bariatric surgeries and stop listening. It's hard when you don't have the support of your family but you really do have a big supportive family here!

I think it would be difficult for me to do this without my family's support, so I really feel for you...but nightingale2u is right that this group is such a phenomenal support for all of us. Who better knows what you're feeling and going through than someone making the same journey? Best of luck to you as you go through the process! Hope you can get a date soon.

Emily

That is rough that you don't have your family's support, maybe after they see how well you do, you can let them in on it. I hope it works out well for you. Good luck at the dr tomorrow. I am so happy with my band I would not change it for the world!

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I only told my mom and my husband because I didn't want to hear the negative also. I too use this as an extended family and great support system. Good luck with the doctor tomarrow.

I think family is just worried, I told my immediate family and they were the same until I told them I was serious and was halfway through the steps to get my lapband. That is when they really started to listen and understand. My mom is a wonderful support for me, she is not sure that she could do the same but she gives me a great deal of respect for the choice I made for me. Other relatives I told after surgery. I was banded on December 21, 2005 and am very happy with my choice. ( no problems so far )

Take care

Nicki

Awwww, I'm sorry you won't have your family behind you, but if you tell them after it is all done and over with, I'll bet they will be on your side. I bet they are just worried about your safety. Just come here and we'll give you tons of support! Let us know how your appointment goes!:biggrin1:

Hey All,

Thanks for such kind words. I'm so dissapointed right now. I went to the doc and after I told him what I was there for he said, you have the wrong doctor?!?! Apparently here you have to go directly to the surgen. You don't even need any other doctor to refer you. So I don't know any more now then I did before I went. I made an appt. with the surgen, but it's not until March 8th because he's out on vacation! :confused: I'm so tired of waiting I wanted to know something now! Now I know how all of you waiting on insurance papers must feel! *shrug* well here goes another 2 weeks of waiting.......:phanvan

Thanks :biggrin1: I'll keep every one posted. BTW Jessiebear I ment to ask you, I saw a bunch of your recipes on the food thread.....are they all lab band friendly, or where you just posting good recipes?? :hungry: