Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey every one, my names Liz, I was banded on April 12th. did any one here have trouble with the 48 oz of liquid after surgery? I'm 4 days post-op and can only manage to get down about half of that. It's increased some each day and i know eventually I'll probably be able to get it all down but i was just wondering if it was difficult for any one else as well?

Liz,

I was banded on the 12 also and it has been a strain getting all of the liquid in. I also did not have an appetite, so I'd been having a hard time getting all of my Protein. I got really sick on Wednesday and had to force myself to drink a shake, it was bad! Then I woke up the next day and was fine...I believe my body was yelling at me to nourish it! I still have a really small appetite, and have to force the liquids, but it's getting better. So, in my long winded way, no you aren't the only one. Good Luck on your journey!

Post-Op Update - 9 days Out.

First five days were fine, a bit of soreness, kind of loopy from the pain meds, but I was able to walk around. My appetite was non-existent and I had a hard time getting my liquids in. Then all hell broke loose on Wednesday! I was extremely constipated, and finally able to go, and it just made me sick! (Sorry for the TMI). I was able to go do report card pickup for my son, but by the time I got home, I was bedridden. I could not get out of the bed on Thursday, called the doc, he gave me a refill on pain meds. Nurse told me if one dose did not help to go to ER. BP and HR shot up skyhigh! Forced myself to drink a Protein Shake and eat a small cup of yogurt, went to sleep, woke up the following day feeling 100% better. Long story short, get your liquid and Protein or your body will rebel on you! I learned the hard way!

Today, I was able to get up, go run errands, clean house and for lunch had some pureed chicken curry over mashed potatoes, about 1/2 cup total. I felt like I'd eaten a five course meal. All and all I seem to be healing and getting back to my old self. I am actually anxious for my first fill so I can really start losing. As of my first Dr. appt, I am down 26 lbs, 12 since my surgery last week.

I have been reading all the post from April bandsters, and love all the information about things to have on hand after surgery and so on. The day 3 post-op that seems to be getting everyone does worry me, that is the day my husband has to fly back to his job 900 miles from home. If I am not doing well, he will not want to go, and he is in the closing of his project. I will have a 14 and 13 year old girls here to help with my 5 year old twin girls. Just hope I am ready for all the driving to and from school, cheerleading practice, guitar lessons and gymnastic.............If not I will be in big trouble. (praying for a smooth recovery)

That seems like a lot of driving. Do you have someone who can do some of that for you? Or maybe you can skip some of the activities for the first few days?

I drive a lot for work (like 10 hours a day some days) and I am taking a month off.

I had my surgery on April 16th (5 days out). I feel great, have very little pain. Port site is sore when I cough, sneeze,etc. I have a little gas still stuck in my chest but it gets a lot better everyday. Still on Clear Liquids until Monday but they seem to be keeping me satisfied (it's a miracle!). I don't know if I'm supposed to count the pre-op diet but if so I'm down 19 pounds total (8 pounds after surgery). I feel remarkably well, I went into it very scared but it wasn't near as bad as I thought. I skipped taking pain meds.. mostly because I was scared they would come right back up. But I'm feeling pretty good so far!

All of that driving is on Mondays. Except for driving kids to school and back. I dont really have anyone close enough to our home that can drive the girls any where. I live 10miles out in the boonies. I have been talking to my husband about having his adult daughter come stay with me for a few days (if she can leave all her drama somewhere else). I almost feel like I will be able to do the driving much more than I can handle stepdaughters drama.

All of that driving is on Mondays. Except for driving kids to school and back. I dont really have anyone close enough to our home that can drive the girls any where. I live 10miles out in the boonies. I have been talking to my husband about having his adult daughter come stay with me for a few days (if she can leave all her drama somewhere else). I almost feel like I will be able to do the driving much more than I can handle stepdaughters drama.

I would imagine that you are a strong woman' date=' dedicated to your kids. You will manage just fine. If you are still having problem the 3rd day and don't feel like doing all the driving, then don't. :-) keep the kids home for the day... They may enjoy the holiday! :-) I would vote no drama! Haha

weight.png

I would imagine that you are a strong woman, dedicated to your kids. You will manage just fine. If you are still having problem the 3rd day and don't feel like doing all the driving, then don't. :-) keep the kids home for the day... They may enjoy the holiday! :-) I would vote no drama! Haha

I second what Jen said, you'll be fine and will be able to manage just fine... That said, I haven't liked being in a car yet. Yesterday (day 3 post-op) I took two long taxi rides and all that bumping around hurt.

Do you have a babysitter you could hire for the day who can drive? Maybe a young, friendly teacher at the little one's school? Or a friend, or another parent? I agree you should skip the stepdaughter, but you do need to plan an out, in case you don't feel up to it. If that means everyone skips everything, that's your call...

But remember, you only recover once!!! Take the time you need and take care of yourself.

Forced myself to drink a Protein shake and eat a small cup of yogurt, went to sleep, woke up the following day feeling 100% better. Long story short, get your liquid and Protein or your body will rebel on you! I learned the hard way!

Thanks for this!! I'm 4 days out and not feeling like drinking as much as I did the first two days. I feel a little nauseous and "funky" inside. Can't put my finger on it. But I will make sure I get the minimum liquid and protein, even if I don't feel like it.

So I am at the airport, waiting to fly home. The security people had no compassion and made me walk through the scanner 3 times, because they were threatening to pat me down over my stomach, despite us telling them repeatedly that I'd just had abdominal surgery. I offered to lift my shirt if they took me somewhere private, but they wouldn't.

I was crying by the end of it, while many onlookers stared at me. Talk about embarrassing.

So I am at the airport, waiting to fly home. The security people had no compassion and made me walk through the scanner 3 times, because they were threatening to pat me down over my stomach, despite us telling them repeatedly that I'd just had abdominal surgery. I offered to lift my shirt if they took me somewhere private, but they wouldn't.

I was crying by the end of it, while many onlookers stared at me. Talk about embarrassing.

that sucks. any better now, that it's behind you?

Hey, Ladies and Gents....

I want to update my ticker, but don't know how.

I want to delete the one that Ihave on there and change it to myfitnesspal, but don't know how.

Any suggestions?

OH, and if I do get the MFP one on here, will it update automatically when the MFP on my phone does?

WellI was banded on Friday the 20th. Everything went great, I was most worried about getting the IV. I told the tech that came in about my fears and he said it would be quick and painless (ya right). He put the IV in my arm rather than the back of my hand, but it didnt hurt a bit. It hurt more when I have blood taken. After that I was relaxed. My OR nurse said they will be giving me happy meds and take me to the OR room, I remember going down that hall but the next thing I knew they were helping me wake up. I had to walk to the xray so the doctor could make sure it was in the correct placement. All was good. About an hour later I was in the car headed home.

I havent had much pain, I have been taking the pain meds every 4 hours just to be safe. Walking around the house and drinking fluids without a problem. Today is day 3 and I am getting the left shoulder pain now. I was hoping I wouldnt get it, my pain was almost gone in my stomach. Now I just have the shoulder pain. And it does hurt, but I will keep walking and hopefully it will subside.

My doctor told me that surgery day is the easiest part of this journey, I think he is right. Now it's time to eat like a bandster. I know all of this will be worth it. Good luck everyone.

I would imagine that you are a strong woman, dedicated to your kids. You will manage just fine. If you are still having problem the 3rd day and don't feel like doing all the driving, then don't. :-) keep the kids home for the day... They may enjoy the holiday! :-) I would vote no drama! Haha

weight.png

I think I have most of the scheduling worked out. My mom said she would help on Monday if I need it, then I am good on Tuesdays no one has to do anything but come home after school. By then I should be good to go. I am just glad my daughters high school cheerleading practice doesn't start back up till school is out in May, because that will be everyday.

WellI was banded on Friday the 20th. Everything went great, I was most worried about getting the IV. I told the tech that came in about my fears and he said it would be quick and painless (ya right). He put the IV in my arm rather than the back of my hand, but it didnt hurt a bit. It hurt more when I have blood taken. After that I was relaxed. My OR nurse said they will be giving me happy meds and take me to the OR room, I remember going down that hall but the next thing I knew they were helping me wake up. I had to walk to the xray so the doctor could make sure it was in the correct placement. All was good. About an hour later I was in the car headed home.

I havent had much pain, I have been taking the pain meds every 4 hours just to be safe. Walking around the house and drinking fluids without a problem. Today is day 3 and I am getting the left shoulder pain now. I was hoping I wouldnt get it, my pain was almost gone in my stomach. Now I just have the shoulder pain. And it does hurt, but I will keep walking and hopefully it will subside.

My doctor told me that surgery day is the easiest part of this journey, I think he is right. Now it's time to eat like a bandster. I know all of this will be worth it. Good luck everyone.

I had my band put in on the 17th and my shoulder pain is very painful... I think it's worse then where the incisions are!!!.. Hoping it goes away soon.