Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I am home from the hospital!

Sunta... it is very normal to have post-op gas... I know Gas-X did not help me at all... really... the best thing is to get up and walk as much as possible. Call your surgeon if you need a little re-assurance... ((((Hugs))))

Avoid using a straw when you are drinking fluids... it can lead to additional gas in the tummy.

Congratulations and welcome to bandland! Good luck with your new journey.

I had very terrible gas, too - it is pretty normal and should pass within a couple of days. It is because they pump your abdomin full of air to perform the surgery.

party.gif

You did it!!!!! Ditto to what everyone said. You are fine. If in doubt, call the doctor... that's why they get paid the big bucks!!!

Hi, Sunta, I am so glad to read that you are home safe.

What helped for me with the gas, in addition to getting up and walking frequently, was to put a vibrating pillow on my very lower abdomen. It really seemed to help move things along.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Hugs, Serena

Congratulations! :clap2: I'm sorry to hear about your horrible gas and that you have had to deal with the anxiety of the barium swallow. I would feel the same way. I can't answer your questions b/c I'm preband, but do want to wish you a speedy recovery!!

I had horrible gas, too, and my doc wouldn't let me use Gas-X until everything was working "normally" again...didn't need it after that. Yes, people could hear my rumblings from across the room, too...it's a little disconcerting, isn't it! Hang in there...it will get better soon. I thought the vibrating pillow was a neat suggestion.

Emily

:confused:

Thank you all very much. I'm having horrendous gas pain. My husband can hear my stomach from across the room! Is that normal? Sometimes some comes out, but not enough! Now it's starting to hurt in my lower abdomen too. Is this normal? I am still freaked out about the "possible leak" and keep thinking something is wrong. I guess I am just freaked out in general. I know on the second barium swallow they said all was fine, but I'm just nervous and hoping all this gas pain is normal. It's like, temendous bloating and rumbling and it's sooo loud. I've tried Gas-X and sitting in different positions, nothing seems to help. I just want to know it's normal to have this much gas. Thank you all again, you are all the best!!!

You really should get up & walk. Its doesn't have to be fast but you should be walking as much as possible throughtout your waking hours. It makes the body push the gases up & out & down & out. When you walk alot right after surgery & the gasses start to move out that is also why many (including myself) experienced should pain a few days out, primarily Left shoulder pain. Some gasses may get trapped there for an extended period but will eventually(mine took a week) move out & up & away.

Yes hot teas & pads can help but the best is to just keep moving to break up the gasses & help them ecsape. I promise you will notice a difference. Also why not call the doctor & just say you would like to schedual another barium swallow in a week or so to check that all is ok. Be honest & tell him that you really didn't believe the final outcome of the second test b/c of what "He Said" about the first & its been weighing on your mind. I am sure he would comply. That is what I would do & by the way when I did my swallow which was months out b/c of a possible slip I got to watch the screen & see the stuff go through- that made me feel really good. Good Luck:girl_hug:

I too had bad (I"m talkin bad) gas problems... one thing that we were always taught as kids,

Lay on your left side, raise your right leg as close to you body will allow and rest in this position while you watch a tv show lets's say........

The angle of the leg and the left side will help to move gas along naturally.

My mom always made us do it when we had too many icecream soda's or junk. I tried it post op and I found it really worked. G

Good luck and congratulations....... ps make a index card of all questions you have and take it to the doc. for your post op visit!!!!!!!! No matter how dumb the question sounds, ask it... find out what size band he put in.... why the injections,,,, why the meds??????

Keep us posted!!!!