Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Problems...

I've had my lap band since August 2011! I've had about 4 fills now, so I think I have a little more than 8cc in it.y last fill was in January. Suddenly, last Friday I started to notice I couldn't eat as much, then Saturday I ate less. Now today, I can't eat anything solid. When I went to my dr. yesterday, he told me I needed to work through it on my own, that he thinks it's something I'm not chewing well enough or not drinking 4oz before meals. Now tonight, after I threw up my chicken broth I had a pain at my band/port sight for a while. Has my band slipped, or do I have something stuck inundate pouch???

I'd be calling my doctor again and if he didn't at least x-ray it, I think I'd find another doc. My doc told me not to drink anyting at all at least 20-30 minutes before I eat.

Thanks! I plan on calling tomorrow, but I'm so irritated by his response yesterday, I dot even want to call him back! He kept saying "your not too tight, I don't want to take any saline out". Well no crap...I don't want you to take anything out, but I also dont want my hair to start falling out! So should I demand a barium swallow before him taking saline out??

You have to be in control of your health. Your body sends signals if something is wrong and this sounds like something is wrong. Instead of talking to your doctor first when you call, talk to the dietician or the doctor's nurse and tell them what's going on. Sometimes that will have move the doc in a different direction.

losing hair can also be a Protein or Biotin issue...

You must remember your doctor is the employee and you are the employer. He works for YOU. You have every right to insist a an x-ray or other diagnostic test is done to check the band. Don't give him an option in the matter, it's your body, you have to take control. If he refuses? Fire him and find a new doctor ASAP.

(though to be honest, after his behavior I'd find a new doctor once you're past this regardless)

Something is definitely wrong. If you haven't had a fill since January, and now you're having all these problems, I fear either the band has slipped or something is stuck. Either way it's nothing to mess with and needs to be handled right away.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Thanks! I'm waiting until 9am to call when they are open! I did ind out in January that my doctor is no longer working with the hospital and their bariatric program. They have a new coordinator and surgeon. So I know it won't be hard to switch when the time comes. Good thing about working in the medical field and in a huge medical community, I hear things! So latest I've heard is that his hearts not in it anymore, and he doesn't seem to care as much!

Ok, update: just left the doctor! He did a barium swallow and said everything looked great, no laddy taffy stuck (whew), and no slippage! He did take out .2cc and wants to see me back in 1 mo. He said this just happens sometimes, and it's nothing I did or could fix! Thanks for everybody's input! Now I'm sitting at Atlanta bread company all byy lonesome, having a yummy bowl of French onion soup!!