Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Type Of Bands Do Mexican Doctors Use ????

In my online research and talk to my local Illinois LB Doctor, it is very clear that Mexican doctors do not use the new generation bands on their patients. Not saying this is bad...but just observing.

But I have one question: What type of bands are they using down there and is there a concern of these early generation bands?

Thanks,

MD

Wikipedia has a very good review of bands and their history. I'm sure some of the

lessor foreign clinics use bands that most good American clinics wouldn't use,

but their are a couple Mexican clinics that seem to have good results.

I wouldn't go to any other than a Center of Excellence in the US, but that's just

me. I hate to think of anyone with less than the very latest training digging

around my innards.

If one of my family asked me , I'd tell them to do as much research , from reliable

sources, as they can, find out as much as possible (don't be afraid to ask), about

your surgeon and his experience and affiliations.

Any WLS you're having will probably be with you the rest of your life so it seems

prudent to get the very best surgery you can. Think of the discomfort just an

ulcer can cause and you can imagine the pain an improperly installed band could

cause. There's a world of experience on this forum that you can take advantage

of, many other forums, some positive, some negative, but you need to weigh both

sides. Whatever you choose, make it an informed decision and good luck.

I'm going to Dr. Ortiz in Mexico at the Obesity Control Center, and they use the latest generation of Realize C band.

They're very up-to-date and he even trains American doctors on the procedure, since he's one of the pioneers.

I'm going to Dr. Ortiz in Mexico at the Obesity Control Center, and they use the latest generation of Realize C band.

They're very up-to-date and he even trains American doctors on the procedure, since he's one of the pioneers.

I know we talked a while back about banding and whatnot since we live in the same city (brr it's cold lately)! I am getting banded this Tue due to overbooking :( Are you still going during Spring break? Are you doing a pre-op diet?

I'm scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on April 2nd! I'm very comfortable with my decision to use Dr. Ortiz @ OCC and get my procedure done in Mexico. Honestly, I'm EXCITED!

Let's keep in touch?

Julz~

I'm scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on April 2nd! I'm very comfortable with my decision to use Dr. Ortiz @ OCC and get my procedure done in Mexico. Honestly, I'm EXCITED!

Let's keep in touch?

Julz~

In talking with Dr. Kuri several times....he said he doesn't use the latest or second generation lap band because they are not approved in Mexico yet. They are only available in the US. He mentioned that the original bands he has had a lot of success with.

I know we talked a while back about banding and whatnot since we live in the same city (brr it's cold lately)! I am getting banded this Tue due to overbooking :( Are you still going during Spring break? Are you doing a pre-op diet?

that's exciting!! How are you feeling about your date being so close?

Yeah, I'm on a preop. i started monday. Protein Shakes only, 3x a day. What about you?

I'm scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on April 2nd! I'm very comfortable with my decision to use Dr. Ortiz @ OCC and get my procedure done in Mexico. Honestly' date=' I'm EXCITED!

Let's keep in touch?

Julz~[/quote']

Hi, julz! We'll just be missing each other! My surgery is the 27th and I fly back to portland on the 29th.

I'm comfortable with dr ortiz too. I'd been doing research for over a year before I scheduled surgery. Dr ortiz even talked to me on the phone before I scheduled. I was stunned. Add me to fb. We can exchange numbers or something if you want too :-) staci.lala@gmail.com

-Staci

Hey there!

I actually got banded in Mexico in 2010... I have the 10 cm band, which is 4cc's.

Dr Kuri uses Allergan bands.

I am sorry you heard that regarding Mexico, all I have to say if you research their bands, they are top notch..If you are interested in going down email them and they will let you know exactly..I was recently banded on March 9th in Mexico, by Dr.Ortiz, and I can say is the hospital was clean, and wonderful, the staff was the best..Everything went really well. They really make sure you are relaxed. I guess what I am saying is that I am happy and it was a great choice for me. He is probably the most experienced weightloss surgeon out there..ok, I guess you could say I am team "Dr.Ortiz"..lol..

You will be in excellent hands..take care!!!!

that's exciting!! How are you feeling about your date being so close?

Yeah, I'm on a preop. i started monday. Protein shakes only, 3x a day. What about you?

My surgeon only requires a low fat diet, but I have been doing two Protein Shakes, two non-fat yogurts, and one Quest Protein Bar daily. I occasionally have a broth to test flavors. I have found that as long as I get high Protein throughout the day, the hunger is very manageable.

I did start doing the lowfat/low calorie about three weeks ago, but have done the pseudo liquid diet for about 1.5 weeks now. I did have Pastini on Saturday night and went to my parent's house yesterday and had a regular meal (steak, because I have heard many people have problems with it).

I am honestly really, really excited! I was a little bummed it got pushed so far back, but the time has flown and now I'm almost there! I can only imagine what the next year will bring. I did decide to do the liquid type diet for the last couple weeks to get some extra weight off. It's really motivating :)

How are you feeling? What types of shakes are you drinking?

Dr Kuri uses Allergan bands.

Yes...but which one of the following as their are only 3 generations of them. I believe its the first one as he said he hasn't dealt with the latest generation of bands...and he has said he has had great success with them.

Three different generations with continual improvements

• 2001 - The 9.75/10 LAP-BAND System
  • 2004 - The LAP-BAND VG System
  • 2007 - The LAP-BAND AP System