Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still trying to decide...

I'm still trying to decide what to do about my band. It appears that I have three options:

1) Have the band removed

2) Have the band removed and at the same time revise to RNY

3) Have the band removed and a VG put in.

The hope of option #3 would be that the VG would be the right band for me and wouldn't slip. There is a chance that they couldn't put a VG in right away, and I'll end up bandless for a few months anyway while my "innards" heal. Of course, I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of getting a new band when I've had so many problems with this one, so this isn't my top option.

I've thought long and hard about option #2, but to be honest, I think I've eliminated it. The statistics scare me. Although they vary, one that I've read a few times is that 90% of RNY patients gain back 50% of the weight they lose after 2 years. I can't imagine going through all that to lose 100 lbs, then gain 50 of it back.

That leaves option #1 -- have the band removed, and try, again, to figure out how to do this on my own.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, there's really nothing anyone can do or say, but sometimes it's good just to get it down on "paper". =)

Jonathan

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, there's really nothing anyone can do or say, but sometimes it's good just to get it down on "paper". =)

Jonathan,

I'm really glad you posted this. In fact, I'm really glad you're still posting! (If only now and then.)

I'm really sorry you've had all this trouble with the band. The truth is, most of us have a lot of years ahead of us and it is entirely possible--in fact likely--that at least some of us will be facing these same issues. This is what's happening RIGHT NOW on your band journey--and weight loss journey in general. It's still a commonality among us. We're part of this and we WANT to share it with you so please don't hesitate to work things out "on paper."

I wish I had some answers for you, but perhaps your experience may provide some answers for me (or another bandster) in the future.

Many hugs to you.

This is just my opinion so take it for what's it's worth.

Do option 3 and see what happens. I know you are burned out with banded life, but really you didn't have much of one for most of the past year. You were either getting past all the post-op swelling, and who knows how long you have been slipped, right? It's a gamble, but maybe that VG band is the ticket?

I'm with you on the RNY. Even if you do have a good recovery, you are always fighting malnutrition and the 2+ years out, gain half of it back anyway, no place left to go scenario is scary.

Option 1 seems the most sane and level-headed. You have all the time in the world to be rebanded so get the slipped band out and give it the ole college try? The down side is, what if you end up trying the VG band a year from now, and you could have had it all along

Dang, man. I'd be putting it on paper, too.

Whatever you decide, you know you have our undying support.

What does the wife say? Women who love you are usually pretty wise about their guys.

Just adding that you might want to check out the DS. Two of us here have gone from band to DS and seem to be doing well.

Not long after my surgery, my doctor's office went with all VG bands. When I ask about it, they told me there is less problems/slippage with it. It just might be the answer for you.

(((Jonathan)))

What a difficult decision.

So far I have NOT been one of the lucky ones to keep my weight off like I thought I'd be able to without my band. In spite of my emotional healing, the physical hunger gets me everytime.

IF I had had the option at the time, I would have gone with another band. But then, my band journey was so uneventful.

RnY to me does not seem to be much of a long term solution - it wasn't for my sister. I know it is for some, but...

If you have to have a period of unbanding before they put the VG in anyway, that may be the best of both of your worlds. It gives you time to consider.

I, however, am such a weenie about needles and IVs, I would tell them to reband me at my removal surgery if at all possible.

Best of luck with your decision! And maybe as Sue says, the DS may be a better option than the RnY, but both of those scare the sh*t out of me...

:)

I don't have any advice for you, but want to offer you my support in whatever you decide is best for you. It's a big decision, and I know I'd probably ask my bandster mates for their opinions, just like you did. Cindy

I agree Jonathan, the RNY research I've seen doesn't have very impressive statistics, especially when you're talking about a surgery that you will be stuck with for life - no going back. And I've seen a good deal of statistics which indicate that after 3 years, the RNY patients regain the weight. Nope, not good enough for me to let someone re-route my innards! heh

I think I agree with Kathy. You didn't really get a chance to experience what a well adjusted band can do for you. Heck, give it a shot.. what do you have to lose?

Anyway, that's what -I- would do. I wish you all the best in finding the right answer for -you-. And I'm glad to see you still here and posting as well!

First, to Jonathan:

I know first hand how our WLS journeys don't always go as smoothly as we wish, so no matter what you decide - I wish you luck and success. You deserve success and I believe wholeheartedly that you will achieve with it - band or not. Good Luck.

Now about this comment:

<snip>... And I've seen a good deal of statistics which indicate that after 3 years, the RNY patients regain the weight....<snip>

Not to be pro-RnY (eek) but this is kind of misleading. Of course RnY patients generally benefit from malabsorption which occurs at maximum rate until about 18-24 months after surgery. Then after that initial period, there can be a stretching of the pouch and a slowdown of the malabsorption rate both of which can contribute to some "bounce back" weight gain of up to 10% in some RnY patients.

But to imply that (all) RnY patients regain (all) their weight after 3 years? Nah, there is nothing I've seen in clinical research nor personal observation to support that. Can RnY patients gain weight back? Yes.

Do all patients do so? No.

Do those that regain see all of their post-op weight loss come back? No.

Are the RnY and DS surgeries still very serious complex, (and for some commitment phobic folks like me) down right scary procedures? Yes!

But it's good to clear up any confusion about the rate of re-gain with bypass types of procedures.

Happy Band (and Unbanded) Journeys to all.

Wow! I have no idea what I would do. It was hard enough to decide to get the band the first time.

Do your research and trust you gut! It will lead you in the right decsion...

(((((hugs)))))

Jonathan..

I really do not envy you, but I understand your not knowing what to do next, but most of all NOT wanting to go backwards and regain what you've fought so hard to lose. I know you're a man of God and all I can offer is to lift you up to God and pray that His will be done. I pray for you strength and understanding and peace in whatever you decide to do. God bless..

Hi Jonathan,

Very very tough decision. I am sure you will do what is best. If I could no longer have a lapband, I would consider RNY or VG. I once said I wouldnt, but I dont ever want to weight 334 pounds again. So I dunno what I would do in your shoes. I was not a self pay and only had to cough up $2000 for my surgery. My insurance covered the rest. I thought you had mentioned earlier that you were a cash pay. I know there is a surgeon in Dallas that we call Dr. Angel that helped another bandster at no cost or little cost with a replacement. Maybe he could look at some pics and determine if he can work with what you have or whether you really need the VG at all. I would be happy to give you his info if you PM me....

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

Gosh, Jonathan.

I guess none of us can really help you because we haven't ever been exactly where you are...

Personally, I would not be willing to have to worry about malnutrition for the rest of my life... I know RNY would not be an option for me. I don't know about that Malabsorbtion/Malnutrition element with DS. Sue is the expert - so maybe she will tell us if that is a concern.

I guess, if I could have them just switch out the bands in one fell swoop, I would choose that. I would NOT want to go thru yet another surgery to get re-banded, if I could do it all at once.

But that's just my 2 cents. I would be willing to risk the potential for having another band removed in the future if it meant that I had the chance to continue losing weight. But that's me, right now, very early in the band game.

Whatever you choose - I hope you find peace and success in your decision.

HUGS!!

and good luck.

Jonathan -- You remind me of my surgeon at my last visit when we discussed my band removal... "scenario a, band removed and you still have these digestive problems; scenario b, you have the band removed re-gain weight and switch to RNY; scenario c, you have the band removed, don't gain any weight back..." You get the picture. I totally understand the fear and concerns you have. I'm blessed to have lost 50 percent of my excess body weight, so ditching the band and seeing what happens is good enough for me. I no longer qualify for gastric bypass, so that's that. Best wishes to you...and I know a perfect plan is already in place for you. God bless.