Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Dr. Phill Said

Yes it does. I work with teenagers all day, and have a hubby and 7 year old at home. Talk about getting on someones nerves. I totally recommend Effexor, but you need to talk to your doctor. He/she may not think it is right for you. With three little ones at home, you may want to go the Zoloft (zombie) route. :scared: All I know is it does not hurt to try some things out. Especially if you are going psycho without it. Call your doctor on Monday and ask.

Dana, What exactly do you mean by "nerves"? If you experiencing anxiety talk to your Doc about Buspar...think Xanax, but non-narcotic.

There is a new drug out there for smokers, but it is also said to help with weight. I'd tell you the name, but for the life of me I can't remember it....Maybe I should look into Alzhiemer meds...Hahahaha

Tammy

If calming your nerves is the problem you are probably better off with Xanax or Valium. Effexor is an anti-depressant. In my case it made my heart beat very fast and I couldn't handle it. Everyone is different though. I spent a period of time on Prozac and wanted to hurt everyone in sight :scared: I have finally found a drug called Celexa that makes me feel much better. You nerves being shot and being depressed are really two completely different agendas. I couldn't live without my Xanax as I get panic attacks really bad. If you are a smoker Wellbutrim is not right for you, as it actually is used to help stop smoking, so it's not really a good choice if you aren't quitting (which of course you should as we all know). There are some great drugs out there for a variety of symptoms. You just need to talk with your doc and explain what is bothering you.

Dana, What exactly do you mean by "nerves"? If you experiencing anxiety talk to your Doc about Buspar...think Xanax, but non-narcotic.

There is a new drug out there for smokers, but it is also said to help with weight. I'd tell you the name, but for the life of me I can't remember it....Maybe I should look into Alzhiemer meds...Hahahaha

Tammy

Wellbutin should only be taken if you are trying to quit smoking, not if you are planning on continuing.

Most anti-depressant and anxiety meds are habit forming, but sometimes the effect they have is worth being addicted if you understand what I'm saying. I suffer from panic attacks that are horrible and Xanax prevents them. I would rather be addicted to the Xanax then ever to have another panic attack. They feel like heart attacks. Doctors will tell you that Zoloft is not addictive. I hope you will trust me as a retired nurse to tell you it is addictive in the sense it makes you feel better and you therefore continue taking it. It's like smoking....it's an addiction. For some people taking an anti-depressant or anxiety med, regardless of addiction, is better than the effects felt without it. Some people can't live a normal life without some help from meds.

Dana, I found it for you: Rimonabant

Dody, I get what you're saying, but as a practicing RN with experience working drug rehab I would caution anyone and everyone to take meds only as prescribed by their healthcare provider. Narcotic anxiolytics are a bitch to kick, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'm sure we can agree that starting with the least habit forming med first and working ones way up as needed is the most prudent plan. I wish you the best with your panic attacks, I can't imagine the pain they must have caused you. I hope you've found a good therapist to help you with those issues. As you know anxiety disorders feed on themselves and getting a handle on them can be a massive struggle, but with your background I know you'll get it done.

All my best, Tammy

Hi, all!

Just talked to a good friend who is a pharmacist. She said that she has seen people on Prozac, Zoloft,---some of the older anti-depressants, as she puts it--gain a lot of weight. Gaining weight would definitely make me more depressed...

She recommended Welbutrin XL (300mgs?) or Lexapro (?SP) because she has seen nothing but weight loss on these anti-depressants. I certainly don't want to get on anti-depressants that contribute to weight gain. Being obese is part of my misery.

So--there are meds out there that help calm nerves vs. anti-depressants? I thought Valium would only be prescribed for severe, severe anxiety due to life altering events. Am I wrong?

I don't know if I'm depressed or just severly irritable (nerves)...I don't feel hopeless and sad, but I do have insomnia at times and could sleep all day at times, too. The VERY WORST TIMES FOR ME ARE ABOUT 7-10 DAYS BEFORE MY PERIOD.

Ahh--just want to feel calm. I've never had a panic attack--don't feel that anxious. I'm just on the edge all the time. Make sense?

Any thoughts?