Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Some Encouragement

Hi,

I was banded on June 28 2011. So far I've lost 45 lbs. I feel wonderful. I think that is what is slowing my weight loss down. I feel so great and am enjoying my smaller size so much I give myself little excuses why it will be okay to cheat. I am having a hard time sticking to my plan on the weekends. During the week I am okay because I am at work. How many calories should I take in. How many carbs. Each day I struggle with the question of should I count calories or carbs... I'm just confused. Someone help me out give me some encouragement. I know 45 lbs is great but I want more. What about portion sizes..how much does everyone else eat.

This is what I normally eat

Breakfast: Smart One: Quesidillia 230 calories

Lunch: Canned chicken with Mustard. and a serving of Lays Light Potato chips(75 calories for the chips

Dinner: Boneless Skinless chicken breast with green Beans

Am I eating too much? Oh and I always drink 64 oz of Water

Thanks

I don't think you are eating to much.

I myself do not any sort of bread so no tortilla and I don't not eat any chips. I only eat 3 meals a day and nothing else except for Protein shakes. I have only been banded for 6 weeks as of today and have lost about 28lbs. Do you exercise?

I count calories and make sure I get enough Protein. I aim for 1000-1200 calories a day and at least 70 grams of Protein at minimum. I work out 4-5 days per week. I, for the most part, choose low carb, high protein options. I do not eat Pasta, bread or rice.

I have the same issue though. During the week I am great. Pack my lunch, healthy Snacks and a good high protein dinner. Over the weekend all bets are off. We tend to eat out a lot and I am less strict. I still try to watch calories and make the healthiest choices I can. If I really want something though I have a small portion of it. This way I don't feel deprived of anything and I continue to lose.

For me it is the exercise that helps keep the weight coming off and when I have a bad week it helps me from gaining. I went and got a personal trainer and work with him twice a week and then on my own the other days. He keeps me motivated and is the best thing I have ever done for myself!

Keep up the good work! 45lbs are gone never to be seen again! Good for you! :lol:

the only thing I would comment on is the carb intake and no potato chips. remember that saturated fats are the enemy! get used to checking out all

ingredients of the foods you eat.

are you logging the food you eat? many of us use an online food logging system; myfitnesspal.com & sparkpeople.com. these sites will help you see how many calories, fat and Protein you eat each day.

do you read many of the posts on this forum? start doing that, you will learn a lot about how this can work to help you.

the weight you have lost thus far is great! keep learning.

I wondered why you would be eating potato chips? Did you look at the carbs? Those are high in carbs. They have no Protein, viamins, Fiber, they are carbs. Carbs make you FAT~ they don't help you lose weight. Protein is what you need to help you lose weight. Protein stays with you, You should have in protein:1/2 of your body weight. if you weigh 180 have 90.

Keep your carbs low. For example: For Breakfast I will have a yogurt. Greek is the best, Okios or Chopani. fat free Ricotta cheese. Or plain greek yogurt with sugar free jelly.Or 2 egg whites or 2 eggs.(eggs are protein) I make an omlette with cheese. I also might add to the omlete spinich, peppers, Bacos

Sometimes I just have shake.< /p>

Sounds like you need a fill. Do you have any restriction?

lunch. Some tuna, some cheese and slices of turkey. mayonaise. lettuce and Tomato. NO bread.< /p>

Dinner: 2 oz of salmon., spinich, asparagus, green Beans, what ever you want.

NO BREAD, NO POTATOES, NO Pasta, NO RICE, pizza, NO CAKE NO, Cookies, NO PIE, NO candy.< /p>

When u eat. eat your protein first and if you have room you can have veggies. NO BREAD no chips.

Do you have a book for protein, carbs and calories? I have Caloriekings. Or you can go on line calorieking.com. Every one has to have some carbs. But your chips> for 1 oz is 15..too much and the salt. omg.

i am hoping that others will tell you how many calories you should have. Some of us have 1200. Some less. I told you about the protein. But the carbs should be maybe 60 per day/ less.

go to Atkins.com. sign up for their books and you will get some free bars too.

If you want to lose weight. push protein. lower your carbs. Exercise everday. Continue with the Water. Eat only 1 cup of food at a sitting. Get a fill. Eat slowly and chew. DO NOT CHEAT> I don't know how much more you want to lose but I lost 89 lbs in 15 months. I am 63 years old. READ labels. ask questions. dump the chips. I hope that you are not drinking soda pop. I will help you if you want.

Didnt your doc give you a list of the right and wrong foods to eat? Do you have a support group to go to? I never had a support group.

That seems like very little food so you should be losing unless it is just a plateau...a week or two. I wonder if you may be eating a little more than that and not know it...we all tell ourselves some little lies about how much we eat! I think you should try writing down every thing you eat for a week or two and just take a look at it. I eat quite a bit more than that and maintain my weight easily without doing any exercise...probably it is just a plateau.

That's probably only 500-700 calories so I think it is too little. Maybe switch up the carbs for some more veggies (if all you're eating is the green beans).

I would be adding more veggies and healthy carbs. A small portion of boiled potatoes would fill you up far better than potato chips and they actually have some good nutrition in them.

You def. need your Protein and to watch the sodium. Those ww meals have way too much sodium, I have not even tried to eat a ww meal since my surgery July 25 2011. I think it would be too much food and sodium for me.

Here is an example of one of my days.

early- Protein Shake

b- 1c nonfat plain yogurt flavored, 1/4 c bare naked granola ( i buy the 32oz nonfat plan store brand and add 1 package of sugarfree pudding to it yummy)

lunch- 1 can of tuna or chicken with light mayo -sliced tomatoes, cellery stix with 1 1/2 tablespoon of Peanut Butter

dinner- 3 oz of meat, chicken,beef or pork.1/2 sweet potato

night snack- 100 calorie pack of almonds ( I like to crunch lol)

and lots of Water, Decaf tea and decaf coffee.< /p>

I was eating low like that and didn't loose until I increased I started eating 1200 cals no wt lost increased to 1300 plus and started dropping wt. Find your sweet spot. I was told when you platuea increase your cals a little for a week or two I stayed at 1300 plus and still wt is coming off?

How much restriction do you have?

Not saying this is for everybody, but I have not counted calories or carbs in over 8-9 months. And I am loosing, met my goal,and still loosing.

My band is adjusted to the point where my portions are very limited in size, automatically. So all I have to Do is make wise food choices, and I don't feel I need to look at a chart to tell me what's good and what isn't.

But that's how it works for me.