Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powder and Baby Food

Saw the nutritionist yesterday and she talked a lot about the importance of getting enough Protein. She said to get Protein powder rather than pre-mixed Protein shakes because the pre-mixed stuff doesn't have enough protein in it. (I need to take in 90g each day.) Here's the question: is there such a thing as Protein Powder that doesn't taste nasty? And where do you find it? My assignment is to try a few different types before the surgery so that I will have already found a couple that I like.

Also, she said during the mushies phase, I could eat baby food as an option. That's the first time I've heard that, although I guess it makes sense. Is anyone doing this? My biggest challenge is going to be getting 2 vegetables a day and I'm thinking of trying baby food veggies (*gag*). But the nutritionist is also adamant that I stay away from sugar. Isn't baby food sweetened? I thought I read that somewhere...

A lot of people here seem to like powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein powder. They have an unflavored one that can be added to almost anything and doesn't change the taste of the food. I bought some but haven't tried it yet. You can check it out at www.unjury.com

As for baby food, I don't think the single foods are sweetened, but the things like Desserts are.

Emily

Just FYI that GNC usually has a counter in the back for products that expire in the next 3/6 months. I have had great luck with powders as well as bars.It's a ncie way to try things and not pay full price.

As for baby food, I love it ( Yeah I'm weird! ). Even now 8 months out ( and 82lbs lighter! ) I still will do this once in awhile for lunch. The Beechnut chicken w/chicken broth has 8 grams of Protein in a 2 oz jar! It tastes just like chicken but the consistency is different.

The baby rice & oatmeal banana Cereal mixes well with Protein powder as well..

Best of luck and I can truly say that this is THE BEST thing I have ever done! 82lbs in 8 months and from a size 30/32 to 16/18! Oh Yeah!!

Michelle

*laughs* I had planned on doing the baby food stuff too, but never got around to it. Between Soups, cottage cheese, flaky fish, peas and carrots, green Beans, mashed potatoes, etc.. I never found the need for it. It's easy to get in 60 grams of Protein with cottage cheese (1/2 cup has 14 grams), skim milk (1 cup has 9 grams), tuna (1 can has 34 grams), or moist fish fillets (gortons unbreaded, 2 fillets have 34 grams) in your diet. All of these qualify as mushy foods. No more stinking protein substitutes! Yayeeerr.. wait. I just had a fill.. back to the shakes! hahaha!

Here's some of the Protein I've ordered. We're using them extensively during the liquid / mushy phase, trying to get enough Protein in. Mikey's supposed to have 100+g a day, augh!!!

Beneprotein (powdered, tasteless whey, 20g a scoop, add to anything):

http://www.resource.walgreens.com/search/search_results.jsp?_dyncharset=ASCII&term=beneprotein&section=A&%2Fsearch%2Fsearchbase%2FSearchOptions.resultsperPage=5&_D%3A%2Fsearch%2Fsearchbase%2FSearchOptions.resultsperPage=+&_DARGS=%2Fcommon%2Fnavigation%2Fheader_fg.jsp.1&x=0&y=0

Nature's Best products. I LOVE the Isopure Zero Carb RTD -- 40g protein. I don't really like the taste of the smoothies, but they're 50g protein, amazing!!

http://www.naturesbest.com/index.html?section=Shopping&catsec=208&-session=thisSession:66E77B3BDD1AD9D09A6A6584CEA7A0E2

(I buy 'em at Vitamin Shoppe or online.)

Bariatric Eating has GREAT protein stuff... I've liked everything I've tried:

http://store.bariatriceating.com/proteinpowders.html

Our staple protein -- the one we use the most -- is just powdered whey protein (chocolate & vanilla) from Walmart (near the Slimfast in the pharmacy area). 20g per scoop. I use 2 scoops per shake.

Good luck getting it all in!!

I'm 5 days post-op and plan on doing baby foods for the soft food intake. It's easy for me...no need to blend or mush anything.

Sounds crazy but I think my taste buds have changed. Plus, eliminating everything but broth, Water, and Jello I think the flavor of the baby food will be strong to me. We'll see...

Anita