Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help..will I Qualify Now?

I had a consultation in June 2011, was told I was a little under the guidline weight and only had one documented illness (high blood pressure), so my chances of Aetna covering the surgery was only 50%. I did not feel like wasting my time so I explored other options. I went to a medical weight loss center and was put on phentermine for 3 months. It worked by my body became immune to it and I had to stop taking it. Around that time I was also diagnosed with nodules on my thyroid that were making me gain weight. The Dr. opted out of surgery stating that surgery could make my situation worsed to permanent hypothyroidism Right now its back and forth, depending on stress. However, the weight continues to creep up on my because of it. I went from 190 to 220 since the phentermine. I am only 5"2. Should I be re-evaluated? Does hypothyroid count as one of the eligible medical condidtions? I am on blood pressure meds but it also went up some (140/90) since the weight gain thyroid stuff. I do not want to be disappointed again. Thanks!

While I have a bit of a thyroid situation and take 50 mgs of synthriod every day. My hubby had his removed. My friend Daria has Graves disease which is not good I guess. She lost 138 lbs from lapband. She stopped losing weight. Did you have a thyroid uptake test? Do you have a goiter? I think these are imp questions for the doc. i know how much you want to lose weight. I dont blame you. Try to do more Portion Control and eleminate. bread, rice Pasta, Cookies candy pie. soda, white flour items. *as if you had the band.* The band is only a tool. With the tool we have to bust our butts with exercise, elimiating the wrong food, drinking 64 oz of Water. Pretend that you have one. Pretend that you are waiting for you 5 fills to give you restriction. Like I said it is only a tool. If I kept eating crap as the above, I would not have lost my weight. Think positive and love yourself. Find friends that have this and brainstorm with them. Don't give up.

Disappointment is a big part of life and getting and living with the band is a big struggle...if you are up for this then get reevaluated...what do you really have to lose?

At 220 and 5'2 you have a BMI of 40.2 so you should qualify. If the Lap Band is what you think will work for you talk to your surgeon and see if they can submit for approval. Doesn't hurt to try.