Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Weight Loss

I am having a depressing day. I was banded July 2011 at 254lbs I am currently 215 lbs...Frustrated because I havent made it under 200lbs by now. I know that weight loss for the band is slow, but when I see people reaching 100lbs off in a yr, there is no way at this rate I will see those results. My year window is right around the corner and I havent even lost 50 lbs. Ugh...really.

Definitely do NOT compare yourself to others. Every single person is different and you are setting yourself up for negative feelings by comparing yourself to them. I just did the math and you have been losing at least 1 pound per week. That's good! They say an average of 1 to 2 pounds is normal. And you are keeping the weight off which is even more important. Just out of curiosity, what are your eating/exercising habits? Do you see room for improvement?

I go to zumba and turbo kick 4 times a week, my portions of food have definately lessened, and I keep my self busy so I dont sit around the house because thats where the snack demon hits me. My last fil I definitely begin feeling my restrictions so thats a positive. But I have only lost 1 dress size, I went to get a Ball gown yesterday and I just knew in my head I had lost at least 2, but nope, sz 20..been sz 20 for many many yrs, went up to 22 about a yr before surgery. So i feel like i am back in the same place i had been in for 10+ yrs

I feel you, I just got my band in December and I've been the same weight since my first post op visit. I had my first fill last month and really didn't have any restrictions. I pray that you'll get the results you want soon and be encouraged everyone is different and we'll all get to where we need to be in time. God bless. :)

im in the same boat i was banded last july also and i only lost 40 lbs and it is fustrating to see that others hit 100lbs in a year i really wish i could lose more,i start getting unmotivated,but we cant give up i guess, i havent found what excatly works for me yet, also they say some are slower then others everybodies different

Dont get yourself down. ;) some of us are slow losers. My 1yr anniversay is tomorrow 3/7/2012 and Im just at 64 lbs down. I was feeling the same way you do this morning and my nutritionist told me that I'm doing great. Try not to compare yourself with others, make sure you are workig out, and eating right the weight will come off. Good Luck!.

Thanks ladies. Its always good to get that positive push when needed. I try to stay positive, but sometimes I cant control what my mind sees in the mirror.

I lost weight faster at the beginning than I am now but I'm actualy doing better now. As time goes on I'm working my band better, learning to follow the rules and I'm improving my life constantly in regards to nutrition and exercise. Your band is a tool to help make weight loss easier, you still have to work at it. If you continue to loose a pound a week, just think of where you will be in a year from now. Work on yourself and follow the band rules and you'll get there in no time!!!

I had lap band in jan 11 and I've lost 80 pounds but only went from a 24 to an 18 which is so weird but I'm at 215 now an have been for the last 3 months I'm so frustrated!!!!

The body likes to be stable. Remember that. When I first started learning about the band I was told on MANY occasions that weight loss with the band is a series of plateaus. You'll loose some then plateau over and over (which I know can be very discouraging) but just know that nothing is wrong. Be honest with yourself, make sure you're TRULY doing what you should be doing. Maybe start writing down calories in/calories out- you don't necessarily have to write down numbers, but write down what you're taking in (i.e. chicken salad with low fat ranch) and what you're taking out (i.e. 45 minutes of kick boxing) then you have something physical you can evaluate and see if there are places you could have done better.

I hope that you start seeing results soon. If you've lost 47 already you can loose another 47!!! I, personally, think you're doing amazing : )

F

Thanks ladies. Its always good to get that positive push when needed. I try to stay positive, but sometimes I cant control what my mind sees in the mirror

The issure with your mind will not change with weight loss... this is a mental change thats is embedded inside of you. Stay positive and don't let your mind play tricks on you. :rolleyes:

You have done well. Don't beat yourself up! Go back to the basics. Alot of members have pointed great points. How many calories are you eating a day? Are you getting at least 60g+ of Protein in a day?

I have hot many plateau's in this journey. What works for me is to mix it up food wise and in my exercise routine. This sometimes makes a difference. I keep a food journal and mix up my workout daily. I also keep in close contact with my nutrionist & nurse so that I can stay in the green zone - on average I have lost 1.5 lbs/week.

Good luck with your continued success!

Cheers,

Kristi