Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24 Hours Post Op: a cake walk

There are many scary stories posted on this site about post-op pain, bloating, nausea, etc. I'm sharing my story to provide another perspective to the many pre-banders who visit.

I had surgery yesterday, 2/20/06, and the first 24 hours were a breeze. Started surgery at 8:30 am and I walked out of surgery center at noon. (This must be normal because at noon I said "I'm not ready to go", nurse said "yes, you are, go". She was right.) Had that uncomfortable bloating - just for 2 hours. No nausea. Half dose of children's Tylenol has been enough for the soreness. Sleepy that first afternoon, but I could walk and drink just fine. Today I went shopping with wife to 4 stores in the morning and worked a half day at my desk job in the afternoon.

Comparison for those considering RNY - My business partner had a very miserable fist month after RNY. Couldn't come to work at all for the first two weeks, and only worked half days for the next two weeks. He was absolutely misrable. Also, at three years post-op his pouch has stretched a good deal. Now he eats almost as much as any big person. (But of course with RNY a lot of it goes undigested.)

Thanks for that post, it makes me feel a bit better. I'm only getting around 5 days off from work (not a complete week) and I was worried about not being ready to go back. Hopefuly I'll be as lucky as you!

Scott, sounds like you're having it good. That's great! Just take your time and heal.

Kat, some do well, some don't go AS well. The main thing to remember is to take it easy. Depending on what you do at work, 5 days should be enough. Just don't push it. My DW's doctor put her on a 20 lbs lift limit for 6 weeks. Good luck!

Wow Scott..that's great!! I can't say that my surgery was a cake walk....but it wasn't as bad at I thought it would be. I'm still having minor bouts of nausea however, but I've found that gas-x or tums helps a little. I went back to work after 5 days, but at a desk job so it's not too bad.

Scott! Great to hear that! I go for my Lap on Tues (FAT TUESDAY), then off the whole week and back to work monday! Take care!

That's awesome Scott! Grats!!

Mikey's surgery was like yours... a total breeze. I'm more of a wuss, lol. I'm still complaining about gas, lol (1 week out). Oh well, all in all it's amazing!!

Congrats on joining the band-wagon!! :welldone2:

Scott, I am so happy you are feeling well, just do please take it easy. After 24 hours you still can feel the affects of any drugs the doc put in you for pain during the surgery. It took until day 3 for me to have some uncomfortableness (I don't know if that is a word). It is much less invasive than most surgeries but it is still surgery. Don't over do it and then regret it it tomorrow. Please be patient to heal and let everything heal back in place correctly.

Congrats on becoming a bandster!!

Fat Tuesday - *laughs* That's awesome!

Welcome to Bandland, Scott! I'm so happy (jealous) that your surgery was such a breeze! I agree with Kim though, do be careful not to overdo it. *nudges Kim* We're such mom's! heh