Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allergic To Protein Shakes...can I Just Drink Milk?

I have quite a few food allergies (raw fruit / vegetables, nuts, shellfish). I found that I'm allergic to Protein products (most bars, and protein shakes). Is there anything else you guys can recommend? Milk perhaps?

What about sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast? Not as much Protein (13 grams) as a Protein Drink, but it's better than nothing. I don't think just drinking the milk will be enough.

are you allergic to the soy? Maybe you can try one with whey?

What about egg whites? Jay Robb makes a Protein Powder made from them.

I drank milk (along with a multivitamin) as a substitute for the Protein Shakes (I wasn't allergic to them, I just couldn't stand the smell or the taste of the shakes). For comparison: 2 cups of 1% milk-220 calories, 5 grams fat, 14 grams carbohydrates and 18 grams Protein. 1 Protein Shake (Slimtime)-230 calories, 8 grams fat, 27 grams carbohydrates and 16 grams of protein. Nutritionally, they are very similar and once you add a Multivitamin, they are even closer. My doctor had no problems with this substitution. Check with your doctor/dietician and see if they approve.

You don't have to use Protein Shakes. My surgeon does not want me using liquid containing calories at all. He wants all my calories to come from food. Talk it over with your nutritionist.

Are you referring to presurgery and post op recovery? My doctor does'nt want me drinking Protein Shakes after I'm recovered. For Protein shakes during the periods mentioned earlier if you can drink milk look for Whey (milk based) isolate protein powder. Talk with your Nut. I'm sure they can give you some ideas.

If you have so many allergies then you should be asking your immunologist what you should be eating not us. We don't want to give you advice that could kill you.

Also wondering are these allergies or intolerances? Normally a change in the form of the food does not affect an allergy, if you are allergic to lactose it doesn't matter what form it is in you will react whereas if your problem is a food intolerance then you may be able to eat lactose in a modified form. cheese, yogurt instead of milk etc.

Wondering because you said you have a problem with RAW fruit/veg

I've recently taken up drinking these in the morning since it's near to impossible for me to eat early in the day. They're 180 calories, no sugar and 42 g of Protein. They're kind of like the little Protein popsicle thing they gave me right after surgery. Not the best tasting, but I can eek it down for the protein value.

http://newwhey.com/products.php