Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need A Buddy/mentor

Hi, my name is Summer. I am 31 years old, mostly happily married, mom of a 10 and almost 2 year old. I am an RN who works night shift which presents it's own special challenges to diet and exercise. I am pre-surgery right now. My surgery is scheduled for April 5th. Yikes!

I have lost 4 whopping pounds so far, but each pound is a victory for me. No longer with that number ever appear on my scale. I will hopefully lose about 160 more. I do not have a specific goal weight in mind yet as I am focusing on being healthy and setting small goals for now. I don't want to fail because I don't weigh 120 lbs, yet when I was 120 pounds in high school I was to skinny.

I am looking for someone to encourage me, keep me accountable, offer advice, and give me hope. I hope someone out there can do that.

If you are local, great! (I live in Menifee, CA) If not, oh well, I still need you.

Thanks!

Summer

Hey Summer, I am 2 years out and 150 pounds lighter. What a fantastic journey it has been. just follow exactly what your doctor says and you will do fantastic. Surgery was nothing compared to some surgeries i have been through. When are you svheduled for surgery? Losing now is fantastic but once you have surgery if you follow your doctors orders, go to meetings, etc. your weight will just fall off. Good Luck and keep me posted of your progress. Sherry in Ky

Hi Summer, welcome to this great site where you'll learn tons of stuff. I'm tentatively scheduled for surgery on the 22nd of Mar, waiting for ins approval. Not sure if I can help but I am a very positive person who loves to encourage others. I'm excited to get started as I'm sure you are! Get all the information you can, thats what I've been doing, I think it will help us through this journey.Good luck to you on this road to a new life!! Deb

Thanks Smiley and Ladybug. Looks like both of you are just what I need. A mentor who has been through it and a buddy at the same stage as I am. Thanks!

My surgery is April 5th.

Ladybug. It is great that your surgeon lets you book the surgery before approval. I would have done the same thing and not had to wait so long to have the surgery. As it is I'm only waiting until April because of a work obligation. All of the information on this site has already helped so much. It has already helped me to add to the laundry list of items I need to ask my surgeon. Good luck to you as well. Let me know if I can help as well. I can encourage the heck out of other people ;)

Smiley- Is there anything you wished you had known to ask your surgeon before you met with him?

Thanks again ladies!

I am thrilled to be both your buddies! It is an awsome ride!! Some challenge but none we can't truly hurdle. As I say just keep on keepin' on!! You gals have a great day! Thank you so much for adding me as your friend. I'm alittle over 2 years out so anything I can do to help and support you just Holler! Have A Great Day! I Love This Quote which I added to my website:

There are two days in every week about which we should not worry.Two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension. One of these days is yesterday with its mistakes and cares, Its faults and blunders, Its aches and pains.

Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control. All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we performed. We cannot erase a ...single word we said. Yesterday is gone. The other day we should not worry about is tomorrow. With its possible adversities, Its burdens, Its large promise and poor performance. Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.

Tomorrow's Sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds, but it will rise. Until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn.This just leaves only one day . . . Today. Any person can fight the battles of just one day.

It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternity's -yesterday and tomorrow that we break down. It is not the experience of today that drives people mad. It is the remorse or bitterness for something which happened yesterday and the dread of what tomorrow may bring. Let us therefore live but one day at a time. "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6:34

Hi Summer, I'm pre-surgery, date is April 2. We are in Springsters Group together. I live in Riverside. I'd be happy to help you in any way. I've been on this board and researching for a year now. Like many, I'm wondering if I'm making the right decision and very nervous....the past couple of days I've been making my shopping list and schedule for pre and after surgery. Good luck. Feel free to email me: Glendalove54@gmail.com

Wow How exciting for both of you. I did not go on this website till just recently. I should of because what support you get! Both of you have such an exciting journey ahead of you. Just stick to the plan, it works.

Sherry, can I ask a few questions about your experience so far?

1. Did you have hair loss?

2. Did you take Biotin?

3. Have you had many stuck episodes? this scars me to death!

4. At 2 yrs out, do you feel food deprived? Can you eat a little bit of everything?

Thank you!!

Thanks Sherry~ Love that scripture! I'm excited to have all my "buddies" on here! So much great information for us newbies. I did some of my shopping today gearing up for the big day plus I started the liquid diet early, today, not too bad so far although my stomach is probably wondering what the heck is going on! lol I started early since I have to do a final weigh in on Monday at 4:30....hate weighing late in the day! So I'm trying to be sure I'm down Monday and show no gain since the last time I was in or its a no go for me, for who knows how long. :unsure: Didn't know I had to have a final weigh in so of course, I've been on a "last supper" type diet for the past couple of months! Like I might as well have this now cause I won't after surgery....so haven't really lost any weight. Monday I don't care if I'm only down a pound....I will celebrate!! Thanks ladies...good to be on board with you all. We CAN do this!! Deb :) "I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength" Yay!!

Ladybug sounds like you are doing great!! I know exactly what you mean about the last supper I did the same thing, too funny!! We got you in our prayers and the procedure is easy, it is the mind that confuses you in the beginning. Just thinking Wow what the heck have I done. It is a new way of living, but it is very adaptable. The rewards are Huge!! We'll have you in our prayers, don't worry about anything. You'll get home as think now what?. In the beginning it seems like a big life adjustment but just remember they say it takes 21 days to make it a habit!! Habit of healthy Living. We'll be here waiting for you. Take Care!

Thanks Sherry~ Love that scripture! I'm excited to have all my "buddies" on here! So much great information for us newbies. I did some of my shopping today gearing up for the big day plus I started the liquid diet early, today, not too bad so far although my stomach is probably wondering what the heck is going on! lol I started early since I have to do a final weigh in on Monday at 4:30....hate weighing late in the day! So I'm trying to be sure I'm down Monday and show no gain since the last time I was in or its a no go for me, for who knows how long. :unsure: Didn't know I had to have a final weigh in so of course, I've been on a "last supper" type diet for the past couple of months! Like I might as well have this now cause I won't after surgery....so haven't really lost any weight. Monday I don't care if I'm only down a pound....I will celebrate!! Thanks ladies...good to be on board with you all. We CAN do this!! Deb :) "I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength" Yay!!

Sherry, can I ask a few questions about your experience so far?

1. Did you have hair loss?

2. Did you take Biotin?

3. Have you had many stuck episodes? this scars me to death!

4. At 2 yrs out, do you feel food deprived? Can you eat a little bit of everything?

Thank you!!

Hey love, I do have thin hair and I am on alot of medicine, I truly didn't no more than usually. I have started using this new type hair Shampoo it is like the Wen product you see all over late commercials but I get it at Sally's and it has seemed to help quite a bit. The Biotin now that rings a bell and I will say no but I do get it in my shakes and multiple Vitamins. I forgot what is Biotin for, I do remember seeing that somewhere. The episodes of being stuck, in the beginning they were scary just because you are not use to it and will take you by surprise. Chew Chew Chew and eat slow, because if you don't your body will let you know. Don't be afraid it is not that bad, sometimes if I feel it coming on, I just stop and breath. Sometimes if you stand up it helps. Alot times if I can get a light burp, it seems to come from the other side of the band it will adjust and move what is blocking hole. Too funny never had to explain it. First time it happens might panic you, and if it has to come up it is usually just clear. Sometimes it all had to come up though, but try hard not to do that to much because possible slippage of your pain. Don't worry about that now though you are a few months down the road from that. You'll get home from hospital and think that was nothing, but when you get home you are slowly modifying the way eat and live. Don't be disappointed first month or so not much different but slowly you will have fills and that's where you will see unbelieveable positive changes. You have a new Birthday as I tell my family! Honestly I do not feel deprived at all! I mean through my two years tried bread and found that doesn't work real well. Love pizza and will get thin crust, I use to eat a large Dominos by myself one sitting. Well now I am lucky to even get one thin crust piece down, one reason is it just gets clogged. So you learn this and honestly when you have this problem you don't want it anymore. Steak not a good idea!! I honestly have truly lived on chili, but that is me I am a women of habit. You know truly everyone is different some people can eat things I can't and vice versa. It is all learning your body, lapband, etc. Trust me, you are going to do fantastic!! You are the one driving the boat as they say, and it is all at your own pace. .I have gone Thanksgiving and holidays and have been able to try alittle bit of everything. You will See! Good Luck! Sweetie Don't worry you will do great. In the beginning not any major adjustments because you have to heal. I really had no pain. God Bless!

Ladybug earlier today about the last supper effect I wish I had enjoyed just one more powder sugar donut, I think that is all I truly miss., but honestly I could handle a bite but this helps us not want to, it might not be taht enjoyable in the end! LOL I so love that scripture it is so true with our new lives. You guys are going to help me so much. I was bad this past year, didn't really gain but didn't lose. So now I am trying to tackle this last 40 pounds, it seems harder than the 150.

Thanks so much for the prayers Sherry!! Glove thanks for asking all those questions and Sherry for answering....such great info to soak in!! So far I'm not nervous at all, just excited and anxious to get approval from insurance!! Bless you all.....

Apparently I don't check my updates section enough when I've been working. I just now saw all of this.

Thanks for asking wonderful questions Lovebug, and thanks for answering Smiley!

I still need to go and get my Biotin.< /p>

I made a turkey dinner last night and made turkey broth for the stuffing. The extra broth I froze to use on the liquid phase. I'm getting anxious to start on a liquid diet as I've never been able to stick to one. I get dizzy, cranky, and semi lethargic. I'm going to try my hardest though. Who knows, maybe my surgeon won't require a 2 week pre liquid diet..... Yeah right.

I've been doing the liquid diet for 3 days, yes it's tough but just keep your eyes on the prize! Keep thinking too that your shrinking your liver which is a GOOD thing. I've got to do 2 wks prior to surgery and 4 wks after.....already looking forward to 6 wks for the mushies! LOL