Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband Being Taken Out

Found out yesterday that my lapband has to be taken out. I am having problems with my esophagus where it is swollen and I am having problems eating. I have not had any fills so they cannot empty it to correct or try to correct that way which some people have done. And no.. I never "abused" the band.. I ate small portions at the right speed etc. It appears that the food etc irritated the esophagus enough along with GERD developing that caused it.

I have lost almost 100 lbs since the band was put in the end of Oct 2011, so all in all I am satisifed with it.. but know that I will have to do it withouth the band to maintain the weight as I will prob loose down to what i wanted to go to by the time it is removed next week or the week after ( just waiting for insurance approval now to remove)

The surgeon said I was one of the few that this happens to .. and I should be ok.. I just have to use what I have learned with the band and transfer it to without :)

I started with the band with a weigh in weight of 318 lbs.. I now weight 230 and prob in a week or 2 will be down to 220 which for my bone structure is a good weight for me. The best part of it all .. I was never hungry so was able to change some bad habits.. like grazing lol

Good luck to everyone else in their journey and who knows.. I may end up getting a sleeve.. Surgeon said he couldn't recommend another band

I am so sorry your band is being taken out. Best of luck to you!

Is that a diagnosis of oesophagal dismotility? I have heard that there is a higher chance of this after being banded. Sorry that it has happened to you and good luck with your future weight loss.

Sorry, you have done a great job. Good luck to your future weight loss! Keep us informed of your prgoress. Karen

Here is an update.. I had the surgery to remove the lapband last thursday the 15th. Surgeon said it was very inflamed around the lapband and that I was one of the few whose body rejected the band. He was suprised I wasn't feeling extreme pain from it and he did put a drain in for a couple of days. He also said it had built up scar tissue around it (the stomach where the band was) and it would take awhile to stretch out and return to normal so it is still kinda like I have the band there

He did say I could eat solid foods after I saw him on tuesday of last week.. and it does hurt and there is some discomfort when eating and it hits the old banded area.. but it does seem to be inproving.

So.. now I go back to the workouts.. and smaller portions..after a healing period of course

One good thing so far.. my vagus nerve in my stomach must still be damaged some cause I am never hungry :) so maybe that will help me keep it off

I am so sorry. Good luck!

Hey Blue. I am sorry to hear that you had to lose your band. This kind of wakes me up though, because 4 months ago my doctor told me that I have a dilated esophagus. I have to see him again soon and he'll do another upper GI to determine if the band needs to come out or not. I haven't changed my ways much since he told me to go liquids, so I really don't think there has been any improvement. Your story just makes it real, that a damaged esophagus is reason for a band to come out, and I am motivated now, more than ever, to follow doctor's orders.

I am not really upset it is out.. from the time I started I was 340 and now I am 225 which was what I was in high school :) I am in shape now and eating right and exercising alot more than before. I am eating smaller portions that I should have been doing so I think I am on the right track for the long term

I don't think my esophagus was dilated.. he never mentioned that just that it was irritated badly and actually closing up due to reflux but when they did the barium swallow test he noticed how small an amount was going thru a never filled band. He said it was so swollen it never needed the fills but was not noticed until the barium.

Since the band was removed.. I have no reflux or esophagus problems now.. the coughing at night etc was gone the day after surgery.. almost like a dam had burst when the band was removed

Congrats, and keep us updated, if you want! Karen

PS:I had GERD from my band but had a revision, so I am okay, now!