Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Jen, and I'm taking my first step into getting the lap band. I figure I've got nothing to lose (but the weight!) and joining the forum seems like a good idea to get some "real" advice.

Here are my stats:

28 Y/O female

Current Weight: 311

BMI: 48.7

Height: 5 ft 7

My ideal goal is to get to 175'ish, which my DR and I agree is a healthy weight for me. Although that's still considered "over weight", measuring my bones, hand and foot size - she doesn't feel that 125-145 (the "healthy range" for my height) is good for me.

I just got my approval from my PCP today, and scheduled myself for the next meeting at Ellis Hospital, which is March 8th 2012. From my understanding, the meeting is an orientation which has between 25 and 50 people who are "hopeful patients" in the same room.

My PCP says that she's seen some people get through orientation and "jump through the hoops" and get their actual surgery in 3 months, while others take 18 months.

Any insight on what would be the difference?

Hoping to get my surgery and get healthy. I'm young and have a lot to live for!

Thanks!

Hi Jen- I'm recently banded- 1/26/12, and it's the best thing I've ever done! The time frame can be anything from insurance requirements (I had to do a 6 month diet with my PCP) to health issues- any number of things. I was motivated, did what they told me to do as far as the appointments, the labs and tests (I just had the labs- cholesterol, vit D, etc and a chest x-ray and ekg- super easy), and the pre-op diet- and that will vary depending on your dr.

Good luck- and remember, it's a process, you still have a lot of work to do to make good food choices and exercise- it's not a magic bullet, but an extremely helpful and useful tool.

Hi Jen!

JustDoIt has it right. I think the biggest factor is insurance. I didn't have any hoops to jump through to get the surgery. I attended the seminar, had my physical, met with the dietitian, had the upper GI, and literally had surgery with in the month. My insurance co was very fast acting and I was able to schedule a surgery relatively quickly.

Don't get discouraged if your insurance company gives you requirements. At least they cover it!! A lot of people start the process and find out that their insurance absolutely will not cover the surgery.

Good luck and keep us posted! biggrin.png

Thanks for the responce, ladies!

I really do think that I'm off to a good start... I have approval from my PCP, a letter from her giving me the okay for surgery, a letter from her stating her medical opinion of why it's necessary, as well as a report of my past 6 months on the IsaGenix diet.

From my understanding of speaking with my DR - I need to track 30 days of exercise, diet and weight loss (for my insurance's request), and need to lose 5-10% of my bodyweight before they will approve the surgery.

I'm meeting for an orientation in the next two weeks, and hope that from there I can get my psych eval, the labs and the ekg.

The surgeon's office said a "typical" case gets everything approved and completed in 90 days. She also told me that the "harder I work and more anxious I am" the quicker I'll get in. Gives a girl a little hope, no?

As an additional tid bit - I start on the "strict" portion of the IsaGenix program tomorrow... two days of 'isaflush' juice (and nothing BUT juice), two days of isashakes, and then back to the juice. I have to do this for 10 days... wish me luck!

I was just banded on Monday and my process was very quick. Luckily my insurance policy is amazing and with very minimal pre-surgey requirements. It all depends on the insurance policy but my case worker said I hurried along the process by educating myself and keeping in constant contact with the people that were set up to work with me. Just be sure you get all the information you need from your insurance company and keep motivated about the process.

I picked up my letter from my PCP today. It lists my BMI, Weight and that I have no "comorbidity".

Since my BMI is over 40, do I need to worry about comorbidity or the lack there of?

Also, my DR told me NOT to start the diet until after I meet with the surgeon, she wants them to get a real weight prior to attempting to lose it.

Does this seem correct?

Thanks for all the help and support :)

I didn't have co-morbidities either. I did start with a BMI of 46 though.

And yes, I would not start anything weight loss-wise until you meet with the surgeon and they get the official weight to submit as well to the insurance.