Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain 4 Weeks After Fill

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if someone has gone through this or not.

I had my second fill 5 weeks ago, first 4 weeks were fine, i felt more restriction but not that much yet (at 5.25 Cc) and the doc said I'd need a couple more fills before things really change, and I was fine with that. Been gradually making changes.

Out of the blue last week it started hurting A LOT if I ate anything that isn't mushy or liquid. At first I thought, maybe I ate too quick, maybe the band is working better now, so I cut out more quantities but it hurt with every bite however small and well chewed! The pain is mainly in my esophagus as the food goes down and left side of my stomach. But I haven't thrown up or felt the urge to do so.

The doctor put me on a liquid diet for two days and gave me this pill called Controloc and told me try eating after those two days (which is today) we'll reassess in a few days. But I am worried, and I have a feeling it hasn't gone away yet so i'm too scared to try and eat solids.

Has this happened to anyone?

Could the band really tighten up all of a sudden when you're stressed or have a mucous-y cold?

I have heard that stress can make your band feel tighter? Did you hae any stuck issues where you had to try and cough anything up? I know when I have had to throw up a few times the band has gotten swollen around the stomach making anything hard to go down. After an unfill on 2 different occassions I felt better.

Is it with really dense foods, like white meat chicken or Bagels? Or anything? Sometimes a fill will kick in after a few weeks. Very glad you called your doctor. If you were sick, that can definitely affect things.

When I feel pain around my sternum, it is the first sign of a stuck about to occur. If I stop eating and wait, often the food will go down. Pain in my upper left quadrant is usually air. Keep in close contact with your doctor about it.

I haven't had chicken or Bagels since I got banded. I read on the forum that those are trouble so I avoided them along with steak and burgers and bread rolls, I stick to pita bread and eat just a little bit... I eat carbs, my lunch is a square of lasagna the size of my palm, and I try to make the lasagna as healthy as possible. Or I have some sushi. Or if I stick to veggies for lunch I get a grilled cheese sandwich ( in pita bread) for dinner. Everything hurt last week except the mashed zucchini, yogurt and Cereal. From the first bite down to the last. 4 weeks after a fill!

I exepected that this could happen if I get too tight for what I am willing to put up with. But this came out of the blue. Just as I was getting ready to get another fill!

Being on a liquid diet again has helped and the medicine as well, today I was able to eat something non-solid so I am less freaked out. I have re planned my meals to cut down even more, which I am fine with, I just wanted to know if this is the band doing its job or if something is wrong. Because the pain was excruciating! is it supposed to hurt THAT bad? So I won't be able to have a single bite of the things I love? I was kinda hoping I could still nibble of a few things here and there :(

I just googled sternum, that's exactly where the pain is! So I this is what 'stuck' meant? Wow! That does definitely stop one from eating huh? I thought if I eat more than I should I would throw up, and as long as I wasn't throwing up then I am eating enough for the band where I am at ( and since I am losing weight steadily I didn't mind enjoying what I could eat while I stil could :P)

It is strange that it kicked in so late, but it's such a relief to know that that's what it's supposed to be like.

I guess now I REALLY have to adjust to a life without bread :P that amount of pain really takes the fun out of it...

Being banded, as a rule, should NOT be painful. When we do something that causes us to get stuck, yes, then it is painful. But you SHOULD be able to eat most things without pain. The only food I don't even attempt is chicken breast. Other foods are hit and miss. Most foods I can eat without problem.

If you cannot eat solid foods without pain, call your surgeon.