Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Encouragement/support/advice Needed!

Hello all! I am new to this site, and am so blessed to see so many people who are going through/have gone through the lap band process. I'm in the very beginning stages- just submitted paper work, and completed online seminar. Just waiting for the next step of getting the call to schedule all lab work, etc. This may take several weeks. I have to be patient *cough cough*...lol. I have actualy started a blog to help with the journey (lap-band-wagon.blogspot.com)... I would love to have you join me in this new journey!

Current Weight: 232 (GASP!)

Goal Weight: 155

Height: 5'3

Current BMI: 40.5 (EEK!)

JOIN ME! We can motivate each other, and any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

welcome!

Welcome to the site. I'm a bit of a newbie myself. Its an interesting journey but I've most people here are wiling to help! Blessings to you!

I also have just started this journey. Did the seminar and paperwork yesterday. Was told to wait 2 weeks the would start with my lap work and testing.

Welcome all!! This forum is such a valuable asset in a sense you can research, get advice and most of all encouragement!!

Thanks guys! Just wondering where you all go to do the 6 month "diet"? Do you go to your primary doctor? That would probably be the easiest I suppose... Insurance lady told me that Weight Watchers could be considered as well.

Weight watchers, Herbal Life, Jenny Craig, slim fast (dr recorded) anything showing that you tried to loose weight is what I was told. I even got copies of my college transcripts where it should that I had exercise fitness for 4 years. had dr write down my weight for 2 years showing ups and downs. Anything the lapband dr can submit to insurance on your behalf. (Ask dr first though) some might not want it.

Thanks guys! Just wondering where you all go to do the 6 month "diet"? Do you go to your primary doctor? That would probably be the easiest I suppose... Insurance lady told me that Weight Watchers could be considered as well.

I am going through what is called a Center of Excellence. It is basically an all-inclusive practice consisting of Surgeons, Nutritionists, Mental therapists..etc. I go in once a month sometimes more if I happen to be there for an appointment or support meeting and I weigh in. They told me to weigh in and record it and make sure I sign in on my meetings and they will put the package together to present to insurance when the time comes.

You said you already spoke to your insurance rep but one thing I recommend is get the bariatric coverage policies in writing so you have complete understanding of what is needed. Some insurance companies expect certain documentation such as weight, exercise activity, doctor visits and such. It is very important you have this knowledge cause insurance companies can be very picky.

Good Luck!!

Welcome! My insurance required two years. I met with my primary care doctor a couple of times and then completed the remainder of the visits with his physician assistant.

I talked to my insurance rep today (Humana) , and they require 6 cons. months of supervised diet. The 6 months could have been within the last 3 years... Shame on me for not going to all of my Weight Watcher meetings!! UGH!