Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are Slimes?

I've heard this term used here on many occasions, but I dont know what it means. Can anyone expalin it to me? I'm pre-op and still trying to decide if this would be right for me. Thanks in advance!

Marlo

I've explained what happened to me and the counselor at the fill center confirmed that this was a slime and explained the "science" behind it as follows.

Something gets stuck and won't go down - body tries to produce mucus to get it to go down - still doesn't go down - body makes more mucus to get it to go down - still doesn't go down - body makes more mucus, and so forth. You're mouth starts filling up with spit. You spit out spit / mucus = "SLIME". Gross, I know. Sorry. :-)

Dang!! That is gross! But thank you for answering my question. Is that the same as PB'ing? I think thats what it was called. Any information you can give is appreciated!! THANKS!! :P

Nope - PB is a productive burp. This means you bring back up in the form of a burp what you put down. Also pretty disgusting :-). Haven't had that yet - thank goodness!

Have a great night!

Kim

Slime and PB go hand in hand for me. There isn't really a "burp" to the PB for me. Just a hacking and gagging with the big ole' golfball stuck in my lower esophagus!

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cinnaberry -

Don't let this discourage you ---- it's not that bad really and it doesn't happen all that often! Some people have NEVER had it happen. It happens most often when you are learning what you can and can't eat. Then again when you know what you can't eat, but do it anyway OR you forget to chew well. Do a search on PB and on slime and you'll see lots of comments. Best of luck in your search. I have no regrets on my decision to be banded!

Hey Kim-8, Thanks so much for all your information and for telling me I shouldnt let this discourage me. I went to a seminar on the Lap Band last night and I am really excited now!! I like the idea that it takes alot of responsibility from me as well. I want to learn how to be and get healthy, not just do it with no changes. Thank you again so very much! Congrats on your weight loss!

Marlo

Hi Marlo -

Glad to hear you went to a seminar - that's a good thing to do... lot's of questions asked and answered. I got answers to questions I didn't even think about asking and was glad other people did. Hope everything works out well for you... keep us posted!

Take Care,

Kim

its been confusing for me too

I slime sometimes.. it doesnt contain the food I ate at all..

I usually make the slime come out on purpose becasue I dont like waiting for it.. its an uncomfortable feeling.

It tells me to wait to eat or drink for another half hour or hour.

Then take only sip.. and try to manage this by going for a "spit" not a "slime"

Thats what I do... cuz I am tight and have to figure out WHEn can I drink and eat at what point in the day.

I dont consider any of this PB's.. I have had a couple during complications and These things SUCK HORRIBLY and even if They are way small..

I think they involve.. things feeling stuck and gagging some food AND slime up and taking time to calm it and having to go on liquids and all that..

thats what I think anyway