Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Else Have Left Shoulder Pain

I had my surgery on Feb. 16, 2012 and ever since then I have been having left shoulder pain on and off. Does anyone else have this and how long does it last.

Many people have left shoulder pain. Often it is remainders of the gas from the surgery. Walking helps to dissipate it. For others it can be a signal that they have reached full.

For you, at only a few days post-op, it is most likely the gas, a few more days ought to do the trick. A heating pad can help with the pain, and walk, walk, walk. Many report gas-x strips help also, how it helps that pain, I'll never understand, but it does.

Hope you feel better soon!

I do. I was banded on 2/15 and the pain is less today but it is still there. It's from the gas they used. Remember to walk to allow it to move around.

It's referred pain, and actually pain from the gas left in your abdomen that's pushing on your diaphragm and phrenic nerve. Gas-x, heating pads on your shoulder and walking will all help. Sometimes people get this pain when they eat and are too full, too. That's usually my sign to stop eating ;)

Funny enough, I had no shoulder pain until the third day and then it came on with a vengeance. Kept me awake all night one night and no amount of pain meds, heating pads, or walking around would let it up. It is still there but much less so and tolerable.

I had bad shouldering pain for about 2 weeks after surgery. I am 6 months out and I still get it after I eat to much.

I had left shoulder pain for two weeks after surgery. My education nurse said that if it happened it was from the gas, but I had no other gas pain at all. I swear it felt as if they yanked me by the left shoulder, among other handholds, to pull me off the operating table and onto the bed. Of course, if one were moved off to the right side of the table, my theory wouldn't hold...!

I'm 6 months out and still get it often, but not as bad as month 1-3.

I'm a year and a half since I got banded and I still get it once in a while. It was worse at first but it does get better. Hang in there. I took lots of Gas X at the beginning.

Eleven years out and I still have it when I get gassy in the stomach. Heat and moving around (walking, exercise) help the most.

I had my surgery on Feb. 16' date=' 2012 and ever since then I have been having left shoulder pain on and off. Does anyone else have this and how long does it last.[/quote']

Yes, if I eat to fast or swollow a piece of food bigger than I should. Something to do with nerves but completely normal..