Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My shopping list for surgery

I've been through the individual and compilation posts here and on other sites... but if you found anything helpful that I don't have listed, please let me know. My surgery is in about a week.

SF Clear liquids, for pre-op (2 days) and post-op: Crystal light, SF popsicles, SF Jello, Fruit2O, broth. And for a few days later - Protein Drinks, multi Vitamin + Calcium.< /p>

For comfort: Borrowing a huge overstuffed upholstered heated/massager recliner from my parents - our recliners are leather - cold, not broken in, and not comfy for sleeping. Lounge clothes (house dresses, loose non-elastic waist pants, sports bras, etc.) laundered & ready to go. liquid Tylenol, gas-x, and a heat/cold pad, pill crusher.

For care: Rx meds (while DH takes me home, my parents will get the rx filled so that there's no delay or wait before I can get home), gauze/ointments as needed.

My surgery is on a Wed. My husband is working half days Thu & Fri, and my mother is staying with us Wed - Sat to help out as needed... and also as a walking partner.

I plan on returning to work Mon, but have told my boss maybe - maybe not, it will depend on how I feel. Worst case scenario - I work from home for a few add'l days.

Have I forgotten anything obvious?

Magazines or books for waiting times and I lived on those mix in with warm Water International Coffees, like the Swiss Mocha. Warm liquids seemes to help my gas trouble.

Other than that you have it all sounds like. Good luck, You will do great!

Here is my list, but it looks like you have it covered.

lab-band shopping list

heating pad

flexible ice pack

liquid tylenol (they make adult strength)

chewable or liquid gas-x

a few books or movies

comfy clothes (loose waisted shorts or jumpers)

squishy pillow for car ride (guard against seatbelt)

a sports bra (doc said no underwire for a few days)

protien shakes

flavored Water

make sure you have a good blender

I bought a drink mixer for the protien mix (cost $10 at walmart)

broth or stuff to make broth

sugarfree popsicles and Jello

sugar free gum (ask your doctor)

sugar free breathmints (ask your doctor)

*Ask at your pre-op for the pain med prescription so you can have it all ready to go when you get home, our walgreens has to order liquid pain meds and it takes 3 days to get them.

camomile tea -- for the gas pains. I can't swear that it worked, lol, but a friend recommended it. If nothing else, it got more liquid into me! :P

Oh, I do have peppermint tea, for me it has always worked well for tummy issues. As for gas - I'm always pretty much on my own there.

For entertainment - I'll have schoolwork, which equates to about 15 hours of reading each week. Ok, so it's not really entertainment, but it's a way to pass the time. I've already started Tivo'ing shows... and I did pick up a few leisure books, too. Plus I will have company.

The squishy pillow is a good reminder. I have a few of those squishy ones that are full of tiny beads... I have some just for the head, and I have two that are body length... I also bought one of those ugly "sit up" pillows... I don't really know what you call them, but they prop you up in bed and have arms.

Thanks for the tips & reminders. :P

I also bought one of those ugly "sit up" pillows... I don't really know what you call them, but they prop you up in bed and have arms.

lol, a boyfriend pillow! Always thought that was funny! :P Good ideas guys.

Housedresses are GREAT, especially if you have a higher BMI (like I do). I had a dress from "holyclothing" that was a lifesaver. A robe is important if you want to do any trotting around while in your hospital gown.

I decided on my first day post-op to skip on the loose waisted pants because I had more pain sitting when there was a waistband. I think you mentioned gauze, but if you didn't, band-aids are good.

Walking was a snap for me. It was the getting up and down that smarted. Especially the bending - have a floor buddy! If you will be in Mexico, remember the lotion and lipbalm. My WA hide wasn't prepared for the dryness.

These are the things I wish I'd brought to hospital. Your list seems thorough and well thought-out. I am positive your experience will be a breeze.

Take care, Brenda

No Mexico, the hospital is only about 35 mins from home.

I do have a robe ready to go, and easy slip-on shoes.

Thanks for the input!

One thing I have been meaning to add to this thread is to bring a pair of ear plugs with you to the hospital. It works for me. I am a light sleeper to begin with, in a hospital it is a nightmare to try to get rest, even when you are drugged up.