Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Failure

Hi,

I got my lap band about 6 years ago. It worked great, went from 315 down to 222, then lost my job and access to fills. Finally got another job about a year later (a contract job so no insurance) but the weight had started coming back on. The lap band hasn't worked since then. Here's the history.

1. Drove 120 miles (one way) to visit the original Dr. Lost 1/2 days wages each time plus gas plus $250 per fill.

2. Fill was too tight, had to go back, get some removed, wait several weeks then go back to get more fill put in.

3. Repeat #1 and #2 several times until I get frustrated.

4. Find a local lap band clinic run by nurses, fill is $300 but no driving and only 1 hour lost wages.

5. Fill is either not enough or too tight, go back get more added/removed.

6. Repeat #5 3 times, wasting more money.

7. Finally get hired on full time, with benefits (Yea!).

8. Insurance is by same company that paid for the band originally (Yes!).

9. Find out Insurance *now* will not pay for anything related to lap ban or obesity surgery (Nooo!).

10. Original Dr. resigns and moves 400 miles away.

11. Try the original surgical center 1 more time, no luck, too much and all has to be removed.

12. Meanwhile, no matter what I do, the weight is still creeping up.

13. Find local surgeon, great person, pay part of fills out of flex spending account.

14. Dr. initially has the same problem, too much or too little, finally, it seems that they may have about nailed the fill amount.

15. Dr. says' don't worry about the insurance, I'll keep treating you. (Really, a nice guy).

16. Make arrangements with the clinic, as they wouldn't accept monies until the insurance company decided that they wouldn't pay.

17. Finally looks like things are going to turn around, make appointment for next fill which should get the fill just right.

18. Day before the fill, clinic office calls up, says they can't do the fill unless the entire amount is paid (office manager, not Dr.)

19. sigh.

20. Check weight a few days ago, now at 305, daughter's wedding in September, dreams crushed...

So there you have my sad tail. I would like to pony up the full amount and keep getting fills, but we have had 7 surgeries (back surgeries daughter, wife and I, neck surgeries on my wife and I, gallbladder removal on me, colonectomy on son) in in the last 2 years and 1 more (another back surgery on wife) in a couple of months and it's hard to even get gas money to drive to work or pay the bills.

Just so discouraged right now....

And to top it off, I'm a stress eater.

Don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening to the vent.

My question to you is, were you ever at a good spot? Or have you been chasing it for 6 years? My opinion is that if you haven't found your sweet spot in 6 years, you may be one that the band just doesn't work for. There are those for whom that is true.

Why did the weight come back on? Did you lose restriction and could not afford a fill? Or are you eating around the band? Or were you too tight and eating all slider foods?

Before investing even more money in fills, think hard about it. My belief in the way the band should work is that you really should not need constant fills after the first year or so. You find your sweet spot, then have minor adjustments every once in a while to keep it there.

Some people just don't have that happen for some reason. They go from too loose to too tight. Then go back and forth with no middle ground. It sounds like maybe you are doing that. And paying cash for the experience.

Were it me, at that point, I'd be considering a revision. Have you had any tests done to check on your band? If you are having complications mandating removal, then the insurance company should pay for it, regardless of bariatric coverage (yes, it would be a fight), they you could pay a revision fee if the surgeon could do the revision at the same time as removal.

Start putting the amout you'd pay for fills away into a revision account until you decide what to do.

All of the above are just thoughts that would be going through my head, and what I would do if it were me.

I do wish you all the best, and hope you get everything worked out!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, prior to the firing the lap band was working very well, only needed fills about once every 4-6 months to keep the weight coming off. Once I lost the job I could no longer afford fills, and the weight started coming back.

Within the last year, I've had an upper GI endoscopy and x-rays to verify that the band is placed properly, which it is.

I was also concerned about leakage, but it doesn't appear to be leaking.

As for eating around the band, I find that the amount I can consume varies day by day, some days just a little, and other days a lot more.

Revision, hmmm, any ideas what the cost would be on that?

So, based upon everything I've read so far...it is not really the Lap bands fault, correct? It is more of all the other unfortunate issues you have been enduring.

If you could not get your insurance to pay for removal of the band, a revision would be full cost of band removal and the bypass or sleeve surgery. Guessing somehwere in the $15k range...? Don't quote me on that. If insurance will pay for removal of the band due to complications, then you'd pay for just the revision part, if it could be done at the same time as removal. I read somewhere a couple of years ago that one surgeon charged about $1500.00 for the revision part of a band removal and revision surgery.

But you say all tests have shown that your band is fine.

I really feel for you, it must be a horrible place to be. I hope you can find the answers.

I really feel for anyone who doesn't have access to good, affordable aftercare, because that really is the crux of how successful your band will be. I think a lot of people think that getting surgery is the whole kit and kaboodle, but it's only the start (I'm not saying that you thought so, btw).

Having access to aftercare is absolutely paramount to bandsters.

I'm so sorry for your frustrations gwfami. I hope that you find someone good who will take care of your fills at a cost that isn't going to cripple you. It makes me really appreciate how good we have it here in Australia.

I can understand an insurance company that does not cover bariatrics not wanting to cover fills. But I hear your frustration. The need for life-long aftercare with a band is a consideration.

Personally, I think all insurance companies should have to cover the same stuff. Being able to pick and choose what the cover is a bunch of hooey!