Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm terrified and crying

Help! I am so scared. My surgery is tomorrow morning. I have to be at the hospital at 7:00am and my surgery will be sometime between 7:00am and noon. That means that if all goes well, I will be banded in fewer than 24 hours. I have been having alot of nightmares and have been crying on and off all day because I am so terrified. I even considered backing out! I have been going through the process for five months now and was all set, and now, I'm having major second thoughts. I am scared of surgery, scared of the pain after surgery, scared that they'll go in and my liver will too big and I won't be able to get the band. I was supposed to do only Clear Liquids for two days, but I have been so dizzy that I've been having Slim-Fast. Does that mean that my liver won't shrink? I'm totally freaking out. I'm almost starting to cry as I write this. I came into work this morning and my co-worker (and friend) had left me a homemade card on my desk saying she'll be thinking of me tomorrow and that she's going to come over and make me a martini after surgery LOL. It was so touching, I started crying at work! Right now my eyes are filling up and my nose is starting to run, so I'm going to stop writing. Any and all support greatly appreciated!!!

Sunta

I have not had my surgery yet and may not for a while but I know the fear. In the end you will be happy that you did it. Just look at all the testimonies on here it seem that everyone has gone through the doubt phase. Take care and let us all know how you are doing. Im her for you always. write soon as you can

It's a big step, this surgery. It's life-changing. It's very normal to be scared and emotional before surrgery, but look how many have gone before you? Yes, everyone takes risks, but the risk is very minimal, compared to other surgeries or even complications of extended obesity. If you believe in a Higher Power, be thankful that you have this opportunity when so many others do not.

The actual surgery is not all that terribly painful. There are a few days of discomfort, but none of it is unbearable or you wouldn't see that many folks on this board and so many others.

Godspeed and good luck to you!

Awwww, sweetie, it's only natural for you to be scared and nervous. Any time we have to go through surgery it is a scary time for us. Just try to get your mind on something else today, go shopping, watch a movie, read a good book. We always have second thoughts, could we do this without the surgery, maybe there is another way etc. I can only say the surgery was the best thing I ever did for myself and I would do it again in a heart beat!

My thoughts are with you, let us know what you decide to do and how you are doing. Hugs!

Sunta, sweetie, you'll be just fine. Look at all of us here. We all went thru the surgery, and while it's not always the smooth sailing that some write about, it's certainly not overwhelmingly bad. Just a few days of soreness and you'll be moving on. Do try to relax and think about the facts. You're not going into something that will make life a living hell for you, and it is reversible should you ever decide you don't want the band.

My eating has changed drastically, but it hasn't been the nightmare I thought it was going to be. I figured I would be greiving over the loss of my beloved breads and pastas and quantities.. oh I loved to eat a LOT at one time, but you know what? That has been the easiest part of all. The change has happened naturally because the band takes care of the empty cavern I called my stomach.

*big hugs* Come on girl, you'll be fine. There isn't anything to fear, you're scaring yourself far beyond what you're really facing. Tomorrow will be the start of a new journey for you. I've only been on my journey for six weeks now and I'm feeling great. I can actually walk on my treadmill for 20 mins now! I have been sedintary for years. Walking to the bathroom hurt. I have lost 39 pounds since I started the prediet. Every day is growing more and more exicting, because I believe I can finally achieve this now. And I believe you can too. The after surgery diet isnt nearly as hard because you will be full, not hungry. The swelling will give you restriction right off the bat. Trust me, you'll be amazed at how little you care about eating when you get home. *smiles*

Chin up, you can do this! *hugs you again*

The day before surgery can be very overwhelming, but you can get through this! You're taking a brave step towards a better life. ((((((((HUGS))))))))

Ok... since I just had my surgery on Friday, I can safely say that all the fears you're having, I had and then some. I have a worry wart husband whom I love dearly, but it doesn't help the situation you know? Anyway. You'll be fine. I know this is all pretty much nonexistent to you because you won't believe it until you go through it. But you'll be fine. Find peace within yourself these last hours. Eat something you really loved to have before the surgery. And relax. I think it helped me a lot that I found that inner peace that I wasn't really nervous anymore, and I was pretty much ok with any outcome I had. Remember you're choosing life over death, in one sense or the other. And whomever you worship more than likely won't look down upon you for doing such. Glutony is a sin in my religion. So I took steps to rectify that. I hope that what I've said makes you feel better. But remember to relax, and don't forget that last meal, make sure it's good and one of your favorites. :clap2: and congrats on you being so proactive and doing something to benefit yourself.

:D

Marcelle

Stop crying and start smilling, tomorrow you begin a great journey that you won't regret. You have made the right decision.

Confucius said "A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" go ahead take that step good luck tomorrow you won't regret it

Sunta, I firmly believe in following your gut instincts. If your intuition is telling you to back out, then why not reschedule your appointment for a couple weeks? I realize you've been planning and waiting a long time, but haven’t you ever gone against your instincts and wished you hadn't?

This same thing happened to a friend, yet she went anyway. She had a pretty bad experience in Mexico (though she's fine and everything's okay now.) However, maybe it's just a timing thing; maybe tomorrow isn't right but choosing another day will settle the nightmares?

Don't listen to me, listen to yourself. At least give it some thought, okay?

I cried the night before my sugery as well. In fact I even had second thoughts of backing out right as they were rolling my butt into the operating room. But I awoke a few moments later & within an hour I was zooomming around the hallways farting up a storm. Its ok to be worried. But if you know you have done your homework & have researched a good doctor than you really have no worries- just butterflies which are normal. Say a good long prayer tonight & know that Jesus will be watching over you & your surgeon & all will be well. Just think your new life will be starting in less than a day & soon you'll be banded & writting on this board & saying wow!! That was a walk in the park & besides feeling a little gasey I feel great!! You'll be just fine- Have yourself a good cry & than look at yourself in the mirror & say good bye fat body- Hello to the new & in control me! God Bless & Smile!!

P.S. AS to eating prior to your surgery I don't advise. Its not good to ever have food in your stomach prior to anestecia(spelling) Follow your doctors orders to the tee. Don't worry about the slim fast it won't effect anything.

Sweety, buck up. surgery is hard at anytime. But you have thought about this before making the decision. You will be fine, and you will feel better after, knowing you made such a great choice for your future health.

Please smile, remember who and what you are doing this for, and relax. maybe a nice long bath if possible. :D

But I awoke a few moments later & within an hour I was zooomming around the hallways farting up a storm.

OMG What a priceless and hillarious image!! LOL

But I awoke a few moments later & within an hour I was zooomming around the hallways farting up a storm.

there you go...just think of how much you get to fart afterwards. i don't care how uptight a person is, uncontrollable farting is a funny enough thing to make you smile. at least a little snicker. in less than 24 hours you will have uncontrollable gas. LOL You will be fine tomorrow. Good luck sweety!!!

My surgery is tomorrow too and I am really nervous too. Hang in there- I can't wait until the anticipation is OVER!!

Sunta and Julie*, I wish you the best tomorrow.

Sunta, I was a complete wreck before my surgery, and I'm still amazed I didn't wear a path through my living room carpet.

You will be fine, but keep in mind that you are in charge here. You are the boss. If you decided that you didn't want to go through this after all, not right now, all you have to do is say "I don't want this."

Sending you healing thoughts, calm thoughts for both of you