Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new ; need advice

Hi all,

I'm considering getting banded next month (Dr. Ortiz); I have been reading postshere and elsewhere about not being able to eat certain foods, ever?

like bread and rice, etc... what do you eat in a normal day?

The other question is about fills; should I fly out to Tj or go to a

local doctor ($200+)? I'm in Maryland.

Any help will be appreciated....

Regards to all,

nuria

Err.. after I posted this, I re-read your post and realized that you weren't asking about going to Ortiz for the band, but for fills. However, since I spend all the time on the reply, I'm going to go ahead and post it. Who knows, maybe you'll be glad you read it. :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuria, there have been many long and lengthy threads full of debates over your question - should I go to Mexico or get the band locally. There are a lot of things to consider when going out of the country. The primary concerns are finding local after care for your fills and medical support (some Dr's won't touch someone banded in Mexico); what if something goes wrong with your band when you return home? (most people cant afford to fly across country for a Dr visit); there have been some questions about the quality of care in Mexico, particularly in TJ. (I am not trying to discredit anyone here, just saying that I've heard of some serious issues with the Dr's there. Although quite a few patients still stand behind Dr Ortiz, I have heard enough to make my shy away from him).

Here are a few threads you might want to scan through while doing your research.

A thread about TJ vs Monterey:

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15047

A thread about erosion started by Dr. Ortiz:

(This is a very long thread, but many people had some very good things to say in it, so its worth the read.)

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14432

A gathering of statitical information from LBT bandsters:

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14559

As for foods you can or can't eat, that will only been found out when you try to eat them. Everyone is different. Many experience problems with stringly, grissly meats that are hard to digest or chew small enough (steak and hamburger) but some people can eat them with no problem. Also, soft fluffy breads and gooey pastas seem to cause problems, probably because they just turn in to large balls of goo in the tummy and are hard to pass through the banded area of the tummy. I hope I've helped ya some.

Best of luck to you in your decision making. Take your time and go with your instincts. Above all, choose saftey and logic over cost.

Hi Nuria!

I am from AZ & had my surgery with Dr. Ortiz & loved him! I went back for my first fill & was very happy that I did. They use Florouscopy & I could actually see my band & and the Water going down. It was a perfect fill for me!!

As far as what you eat, everyone is different. Some days I can eat bread, other days I can't! I've always been able to eat rice. Here is a list of some foods that I typcially eat. (I only choose one for each meal, not all!)

Breakfast: Protein shake/2 scrambled eggs/1/2 cup of wheat chex

Lunch: 1 cup of Wendy's Chili/small salad/egg salad sandwich

Dinner: Small serving of whatever I make my family. (spaghetti, casseroles, chicken & rice, Soup...etc.)

I drink lots of Water through out the day as well.

I really can eat most anything - just smaller portions. I think you'll have to figure out what works best for you.

Good luck!!

Thanks to both of you, Susan and Diane. I'll look into all the information you've given me.

I'm considering Dr. Rumbaut also. Anyone have any comments about him?

Is he more expensive?

Nuria,

First of all, welcome and congrats on making the decision to get banded. I agree with Susan, do your homework first. If you do choose a surgeon in Mexico, make sure first that you have local support, even if you don't use it for fills you should make sure that you have someone locally that will see you in case of an urgent band issue. I had surgery in Monterry, and had a great experience with my surgeon. Research all of your options and make the choice that is best for you.