Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New And (Hopefully) Getting Banded Early April/ Mid-Summer 2012...

Hey everyone!

My name's Pettway and I'm new to the forum, and I figured now would be as good a time as any to make my introduction! smile.png

I'm 17 and hopefully getting banded in the new future. As of late, I've been to the required seminar and have been approved by my insurance company to get the band, and am currently awaiting a message from Duke in regards to being assigned a team and scheduling an appointment. In the meantime, I've been doing more research about adjusting to the Lap Band and the types of life style changes that it will entail, so as to be better prepared.

At the moment however, one of my major questions is this:

How do you talk to your friends about the topic?

My main fear is that my friends won't support me in this endeavor, and I was wondering how others have handled this situation.

Thanks,

Pettway

This is a tough subject to talk about with friends but if they are true friends they won't judge you and will be supportive. I'm 22 and my friends are a huge part of my life and telling them was hard on me as well(mainly I was scared they would think less of me) but to my suprise all Of them were 100% supportive of me and are really excited for me to be banded and are willing to support me along the way! I'm getting banded on march 13th and can't wait :) I'm here to talk or of u need advice anytime !!

Yes telling your freinds can be very frightening and awkward. I thought my friends would think less of me and think that i was taking the easy way out...however ALL of my friends were 100% they helped me make the final decision! I doubt your friends will be any different then mine...and if they are its not because theyre judging you its because they have a lack of education about the surgery!! You just need to tell them why your thinking about getting the surgery and tell them a little about it...it was the best decision ive ever made and im glad i told my friends from the beginning because they helped support me! good luck in the future!

It can be intimidating. I told my close girlfriends over lunch (ironic? haha!). They were all supportive. Of course, you don't have to tell everyone (or anyone, if you don't want to) but it's nice when they know so they can be understanding if you're having issues (which mine have been frequently - both friends and issues!).

I've been telling EVERYBODY!! Lol! I am 39 years old, and have been overweight my entire life. So I am VERY excited about being banded! I'm hoping to have my surgery the first part of April. Good luck to you all!

Hi! I am new. I would like any info from anyone who was banded by Dr. Ortiz, please! I am a little scared of going to Mexico for surgery, but from what I read he is the best! Thanks!

Hi! I am new. I would like any info from anyone who was banded by Dr. Ortiz, please! I am a little scared of going to Mexico for surgery, but from what I read he is the best! Thanks!

There are many threads about him, look under the Lapband Surgeons for more info.

I'm also new and hoping to get banded the same time you are. I was upfront with my friends about my decision. Some accepted it and others don't like the fact that I'm having surgery to lose weight. I turn 25 on April 1st and I've been debating on going for surgery since age 18. Just be honest with your friends. Your true friends with stand behind you and support you throughout your weight loss journey. Good Luck :)

Personally I don't think I would tell your friends. I have only told my immediate family and a very few close friends. In my opinion the issue is you can't untell them. I am 41 and the last thing I need in life is the food police. I am harder on myself then someone else would ever be so if I've decided to eat something I don't need someone elses opinion (I am very conservative about what I eat and follow the 95/5% rule. Eat super healthy 95% of the time and you can have some fun the other 5% of the time.) It does'nt matter that I have grilled chicken and raw veggies for lunch every day for months; you can bet the thing your friends will remember is you having a piece of cake on your birthday.

Once you've healed from surgery no one needs to know. My coworkers just see that I eat normal sized meals. Knock on wood I've never had to vomit or a productive burp.

I am also getting banded sOon- April 12th is my surgery date! I have only told a few ppl- close friends my fiancé and my mother. I think it might be easier to tell others when the weight starts coming Off! But then again you don't HAVE to tell anyone! Good luck :)