Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5Yrs Post Op And Throwing Up Everyday

5 years ago I had my first lapband surgery. A year later my band had slipped and I had to have it put back into place. I had lost a total of 103 pounds over a year period (not too bad), then I got pregnant with TWINS (using 3 different types of birth control)...My twins girls are now 2 years old and I'm struggling to loose the weight; however, I am still about 50 pounds less than my original surgery weight. When I found out I was pregnant I had to get all Fluid removed from my band so that I could eat enough, plus the OBGYN doctor put me on Ensure 8 times a day! I had no problems with my band while pregnant and my babies came out very healthy. About a year after they were born I began having issues eating. I throw up just about everything I eat with the exception of Soup. Oddly enough, once I throw up I can sit back down and eat with no problems.... I have moved to a new state so my doctor is FAR away, plus I haven't been to him in years anyway. I'm not sure what to do. I have no insurance at this time, no doctor, and can't keep much food down, AND to make matters worse I'm GAINING weight! It's a nightmare.....I just want this band out! I'm fat and throwing up constantly.....Has anyone else experienced these problems???

I had a similar problem just recently. I kept throwing up (12 times or more). I called my doctor and she said she would meet me at the hospital. They took a CAT-scan and my band was in good shape but my throat was very swollen from the vomiting and some acid reflux I had several days earlier. My band was swollen too. My doctor took out 3 cc's out of my band. She determined my band was too tight. I have not vomited and do not have acid reflux (another sign of band being too tight).

You need to see a doctor. I would suggest going back to the original doctor who put your band in but you say its too far away. Is there a low-cost or no cost medical clinic in your area? You can see a doctor there and ask them what they suggest you do. Your band may have slipped (vomiting like you are is a symptom) or its too tight. Either way, you need medical help of some kind.

Please post again and let me know how you are doing. Its so frustrating to be vomiting like that. You must be drained physically and emotionally. I don't know how you do it with two small children that are depending on you.

yes having the same issues....then one day I could no longer keep Water down...got so sick i thought I was going to die...got so weak had to leave work...I too have no insurance and had not seen a dr in a long time..went to my old dr's partner and they took 2.5 ml'sout of the 4 that were in my band and said to wait two weeks and see what is happening.. that was yester day I am holding things down a little better but still feel so sick and weak and dizzy bad kidney pain and ringing in my ears. feel like death ..try to get in before you get too dehydrated..your kidneys will stop putting out urine too..it is so hard to get this kind of information anywhere that I have seen...good luck to you.. I suck on the computer but if you want to text me by phone my number is 720-936-4769.

Sounds to me like you are either too tight or you have a slip.

Although it does sound weird that you can eat OK once you have thrown up. Are you letting yourself get too hungry or gulping down your food because you are too busy looking after the littlies? If so maybe your initial bites are too big and not chewed properly thus causing you problems. Possibly throwing up reminds you that you need to slow down and you then eat properly afterwards.

Whatever - you know this is not healthy and you know that you need to go and see your Dr.

Thanks for the replies...I found a doctor that is about 2 hours away from where I live, but I'm going to call on Monday and see if he will see me..... This is something that has been going on now for 2 years...it's not a recent problem... my doctor that originally did my surgery couldn't figure out what was wrong...they removed all the Fluid in my band but still had problems with throwing up....I can't eat unless it's Soup most of the time. No matter how slow I eat or how small of bite I take. I will try to make an appointment and see if I have a slip....I had one before and I never had this problem...oh well I guess I will get it figured out and then decide if I want to keep this band in or take it out....

I'm sorry you are having such trouble. I look forward to hearing your progress really soon.

Go see your Dr. ASAP or Go to a E.R. that handles Bariatric Surgery., possibley where you had your surgery.