Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Beginning Of The Rest Of My Life!

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share my (soon to be) experience. I'm so excited! I'm 19 years old and I have been overweight since I was about 12 years old. I have tried many diet plans as well as my parents shelling out $5,000 to send me to weightloss camp for the summer when I was 14. NOTHING worked. Then about four years ago my father had the lapband surgery and did pretty darn well for himself! I began my journey to lapband on May 18th, 2011 which was the day I turned 18. After a lot of effort and money invested I was approved for the lapband surgery on January 26th, 2012! AHHH! It only took TWO DAYS for my insurance company to say yes, and all we pay out of pocket is $740! -big shout out to Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City!-

Anyways, my current height is 5'9'' and I weigh 330 pounds. My hope is to get to 170 eventually but I am just glad that I can now have the help of the lapband, which I refer to as my "personal assistant!" I start the Optifast on Monday (2/6) and I go in for surgery on Monday (2/20). I am so glad that they got me in as fast as they did and I am beyond excited to begin this life changing journey! I know that it is a lot of hard work but I am sick and tired of being obese! I am sick of the potential for health problems (which, thank the Lord, I haven't experienced yet) and dang it I am sick of having to ask for a seatbelt extension on an airplane! ; )

I have and will continue to have amazing support from my family and friends as I head off on this journey. I think this place will be a great "go to" for me to discuss any potential issues or get questions answered right from "the source!" I hope everyone is having a great 2012 so far because I know this will be the best year of my life!

- Kassie

Good for you Kassie! Can't wait to hear more from you, good luck on your journey.

Thanks Holly, you are looking amazing! I know everyone is different but if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to shed your 82 pounds so far?

Congratulations, Holly!

I have so much respect for you. I wish I'd have had this option back when I was your age. It would've saved me living the last 20 years as an obese woman. I was the same as you- I started trying everything from a very young age. I was on Jenny Craig by the time I was 16, Weight Watchers the first time by the time I was 18. I did lose, but it always came back.

Granted I've only had my band less a month but I'm SO glad I did this. I pray you will be happy with yours, too.

Best wishes,

Mis

Good luck it is such a blessing for you to do this at a young age with the support of your family and also having someone there who knows how to help with this tool!

Keep us updated!!!!

Good luck, hope you enjoy the same success as your Dad. I am sure the fact that he already has a band is going to be a tremendous help.

kassieRose: I understand exactly how you feel! I am being banded on march 13th and I can not wait!!! My dad was banded on jan 11th and is already down 40lbs and I could not be happier for him. I am on the younger side just like you, I just turned 22 in oct.. Making the decision to be banded was prob on of the hardest ones Iv had to make. Iv been obses my whole life and have been on a diet most likely since the time I was ten years old. I used to think having the band was the easy way out and that I could do it on my own. But after losing 40 lbs two summers ago and then gaining about 60 back I had had enough and decided after doing about 3 years worth of research that I was all wrong and this was an amazing tool that alows people to become healthy and let them be the person they truly want to be! . I would love to hear all about your journey and I wish you nothing but the best of luck !!!

Thanks for the support everyone! I'm going out to a Thai food restaurant on Sunday to have my last "normal meal" because I start the Optifast on Monday! : )

^^^ I remember my last normal meal! It was Fridays! Had some fried Mac n cheese and the California sandwhich hahaa ... I don't miss it!

Hey Kassie! My surgery is the 20th too! I don't have to do any pre-op diet. I wonder why? Seems to be an important step to many of the surgeons others have. Maybe I should do it on my own the week before? Anyway... Wishing you all the best on your journey!

Good luck Kassie! Sounds like your insurance realized that treating you with this now, will prevent many issues in the future. I'm glad you got through quickly!

KathyofAlabama - I didn't have to do a pre-op diet either. I guess because I was healthy aside from being overweight, non-smoker, etc. The only thing I was told was the week prior to surgery, to try to eat healthy & low fat. Your doctor knows what they're doing, so follow their advice!

Congrats Kassie! I was just banded this year, at 37 but have been obese most of my adult life. I wish I would have done this at 19. Good for you! Hope you find lots of support on this site. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Thanks everyone!

Tomorrow will be day three of my Optifast diet. I'm already sick of the flavor, though it isn't too bad! They told me I could mix in some sugar free flavors (chocolate Syrup, maple syrup) so I tried out the chocolate syrup on my last shake tonight and it helps a lot! : )

It's weird to think that just 3 weeks ago I was still on pre op! I am a week and 2 days post op. I went for my appointment yesterday and I have lost ten pounds since my surgery so I'm pretty happy about that and I'm pretty much pain free at this point! So glad I did it!