Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brand Spankin' New

Hi everyone, i just started some research on the lap band procedure. I have a few questions that i would love to get some feedback on. I have insurance--what is the procedure for before i get the surgery? anything i will have to do? also, is it true you cannot it any sweets once you get it? i am pretty confused about what the "fills" are...could someone explain that? any other info you could give would be great!

I didn't use insurance for the band, but I am sure others will chime in here. Every ins is different though. As far as what you can and can not eat? Well, I can pretty much eat anything I want? Do I? Well, most of the time not! When you get the band, your dr may or may not put in any Fluid at first. You go back to get saline put in your band and they will keep doing small adjustments until you get to your greenzone. Your greenzone is when you can eat a small meal, be satisfied and be able to go between 4-5 hours before your next meal. Some people get there pretty quickly, others take longer.

All insurance companies are different and have different requirements, so it really depends on yours specifically. You could always call them and ask to be sure.

Almost all Lap-Band patients have to have a psych evaluation. Many also need an EKG and sleep study.

We all need a nutritionist, thankfully the majority of reputable surgeons connect with you almost immediately.

I would suggest going to a free seminar. All the Lap-Band surgeons have them (at least the good ones). At the seminars, they explain absolutely everything you can expect pre-op, during the surgery, post-op, and for your life with the band after.

Welcome, All insurance companies are different as to what pre-op tasks they will have you do. You can see a list of mine in my signature. I can eat almost anything (bread and eggs and dry chicken are a problem for me), but should you eat sweets as a part of your diet probally not. Your band will hold a certain amount of Fluid (mine holds 10cc's) the more Fluid in your band the tighter it is. Fills are when your doc adds more fluid into your band this usually happens about .25,.5, or 1 cc's at a time. (Every's doc is different) . They will do this until you can eat a small amount of food and be satisfied for a cetain period of time (the greenzone). For me I eat about 1 cup of food and it keeps me satisfied for 4-5 hours. It took about 7cc's for the to get to the green zone (again eveyone is different). I have been a member of this site for a long time. Keep asking questions ppl here are happy to help. Just remember everyone is different and your exerpience will be too. Good Luck

Amanda

I just had my band placed 6 weeks ago. I would suggest calling your insurance and finding out what needs to be done for your specific policy. I can tell you that, as an example, all blue cross policies are NOT the same, it all depends on what coverage your employer elects to have on the policy. Then, attend a seminar. If you are not sure where a seminar is, contact your local hospital and they can direct you to when and where one is. This is VERY informative and will usually have people there with the band so you can ask questions. They will also set you up with their surgery coordinator, that person will be your main contact point, typically, until you are ready to consult for surgery.

I started the process in 2008, then things happened and I got discouraged and gave up. Then in October 2011, I decided I was ready, in the right frame of mine,and the right place in my life to get the band done. In 2 months, I lost the required weight, had all my appointments completed, and insurance approval. I had my surgery on Dec 22nd. It was the BEST Christmas present that I could do for myself.

I would highly suggest contacting your insurance FIRST to make sure this is a covered procedure and find out what their specific criteria is and go from there. There is nothing worse than going through everything and then finding out that your insurance will not cover.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions, this forum is fantastic. I have learned alot and sure i will learn ALOT more in the coming months/years.