Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Days After Surgery, Feeling Sick?

It has been 5 days since surgery. At first all I felt was really sore and pain in my neck and shoulders. The pain near the port is getting better but my neck is killing me still, but from day 1, I was never sick to my stomach. Now I feel like I may throw up, but don't. Thank goodness. I am taking my Multi-Vitamin in the morning along with my 2 blood pressure pills and a B12 with an 8oz Protein Shake for Breakfast. Sometimes I feel growling part way till lunch, so i eat a 1/2 cup Jello. At lunch I will have a 1/2 cup puree Soup of some kind and maybe a popcicle or jello midway before dinner, then 1/2 cup of soup for dinner. Throughout the day I will sip Water and a bit of juice with metamucil mixed in for Fiber. So far, thats all I seem to be able to get down in a day. I have also had to take the liquid Lortab for pain a couple times a day or tylenol for pain. Do you think that I am taking in too little and the meds have nothing to keep my system functioning normal? I just can't imagine that this small amount of food can keep a person going in a day, but then again this is all new to me to. Any advise would be great. BTW, I am getting episodes of hickups the last few day and talk about pain, sometimes it goes on for 10 minutes at a timesad.png

Hang in there...sounds like you are doing well. Did you try gas strips and walking? I haven't had the surgery yet but I hear it works wonders LOL...get better and congrats..

I think that you're right- a lot less food, surgery- I had the same thing, about day 4 I was nauseous- but today for me is day 6 and I feel a heck of a lot better. Hang in there!!!!

Also, the meds on not a very full stomach sometimes wreak havoc.

Sorry you're feeling so crappy! I don't have any advice for you, since my surgery is not til later this month... But I'm sending you wishes and support for a speedy recovery! I too am concerned with having to take medications after surgery, since I'm on a couple of prescriptions. My PA said it shouldn't be a problem as long as the pill is smaller than a nickel, but I guess mentally I'm still worried about swallowing anything solid into my stomach while its healing....

Keep your head up, and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon!

Thanks. Yesterday was a nightmare. Went to my doctor and he thinks I may have laid funny in surgery and pinched a nerve in my neck, because he feels that the normal neck pain should have been gone by now.After I left his office the spasms in my stomach were so bad I had to stop the car and have my husband come get me. The doc prescribed me Flexerol for the strained neck issue and said that the pain meds after surgery may have caused my bowls to back up, causing the stomach pains. Wow. Gallbladder surgery was easier than this:( Sorry, just venting. I'll just be glad for the pain to stop and I can start enjoying the weight loss. BTW, I lost 15# so far:)

Thanks. Yesterday was a nightmare. Went to my doctor and he thinks I may have laid funny in surgery and pinched a nerve in my neck, because he feels that the normal neck pain should have been gone by now.After I left his office the spasms in my stomach were so bad I had to stop the car and have my husband come get me. The doc prescribed me Flexerol for the strained neck issue and said that the pain meds after surgery may have caused my bowls to back up, causing the stomach pains. Wow. Gallbladder surgery was easier than this:( Sorry, just venting. I'll just be glad for the pain to stop and I can start enjoying the weight loss. BTW, I lost 15# so far:)

Hey Armymom, I'm on day 7 after surgery and am doing well. I'm having just a bit of pulling at port site and itching at the incision sites but other then that good. I go in for my week follow up today. I hope you get to feeling better and might I suggest a Chriopractor for your neck issues. I go to one that I absolutely love and he/she will make it better. I haven't started walking yet still to tired from surgery and my PCP told me that it could affect me for up to 4 weeks. I have started back to work today and thank goodness I work from home most of the time so that I can take a brake from time to time. Best of luck and try to hang in there. In the long run it will be well worth it.