Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What About Medications Post Band?

Do they all have to be crushed for awhile? I am still in the pre band process and was wondering how others handled this. Thanks!

my doc gave me a large list of Vitamins I was to take. most of them are large. I have given them away and now use liquid multi Vitamin and liquid calcium citrate. I get them at a whole foods store.

don't use the gummy vitamins - too much sugar, not enough vitamins!

I swallow pills that are in capsules with no problem.

I was told two versions, , that any meds I take had to be liquid now, no more ibprofen only tylenol.

I could continue to take capsules ok, tablets break in half or crush, if heartburn to take antacid. I haven't been having any problems, as all but one of my pills would be considered big. I do take them early in day so they are in my body sooner. good luck.

and hoepfully by the end of a few months we wont need anymore meds yeah!!!

I was told to get liquid forms of my meds to last one month post - op as i would be liquids only for that long. If you cant get them in liquid form get a pill splitter, they are inexpensive but work well.

I was told to get a pill crusher and start using it after surgery which I did. Then I found I could swallow my pills, one at a time, without crushing them. Ans some are very large liquid gell capsules filled with fish oill (Lovaza) I have not crushed a pill since, and that was a year ago. My band is very tight also. I prefer it that way.

When I mentioned this to my Dr., he laughed and said it is one of many standard things they tell everybody because it is in the playbook...And people eventually figure it all out themselves with time.

An d I have found this to be true with so many pther things also.

At first my surgeon orderd all my medication in liquid form, and told me to invest in a pill splitter / crusher combo.

"They are sold on ebay" I did just that, and found out that when I get my fills, and are swollen, I break out the splitter, if that won't do the job, then the pill crusher.

It's worht the investment.

When the swelling goes down, I take 1 pill at a time.

I take a lot of pills, and fortunately most of them are little so I don't have to split them. I do split the bigger ones. I can't take the liquids or the gummies because I'm allergic to them, so I buy the smallest pills available and then split them. I even found a "petite" version of Calcium 500 & D3, which I split. I'm only 6 days post surgery and haven't any trouble except for the first day home when I took too many at once, not even with the omega-3 (Super Fisol is the smallest I've found). Don't worry about it. If you really want reassurance, take all your daily pills to your nurse educator and show them to her; she'll tell you which ones need splitting. And of course you don't split the extended release or enteric coated tabs.