Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating On Gym Days

So I need some opinions here. On the days I go to the gym, I eat a lot more. Around 1000 calories or so. I eat almost every 2 hours...it seems and sounds like a lot! I do that because I usually burn at least 400 calories at the gym, leaving me between 600 and 700 calories. Is this the right way to do it? On days I don't go to the gym, I just stick to my 3 meals a day and eat every 4 hours. On those days, I try not to go over 800 calories. I always feel guilty for eating so much on gym days (all healthy things though...with a focus on protein). I figure if I didn't eat more, I'd probably be left with less than 400 calories for the day and that just doesn't seem right. Sooo....what do you think? What do YOU do?

wow! that seems like a really low calorie count, somewhere I read that you needed to eat at least 1200 so you wouldn’t put your body in starvation mode and lower your metabolism (or maybe I just wanted to hear that) lol….sound like you are doing great! And if you are not feeling weak or fatigue and you are losing weight I wouldn’t change a thing, I eat 300 or less calorie meals breakfast/lunch/dinner and two 100 calorie Snacks 3 pm & 8 pm. And workout 60 min 6 days a week average 1.5 lb weight loss

Just an opinion...do not focus on the accuracy of the machines at the gym when it comes to burning calories. The machines dont take into account your muscle mass and etc. You may want to consider to invest in a body bug or some other device. Good Luck!

Ah yes, you've hit upon a truism.

After a good workout, your body is demanding you replenish it because of all the energy / calories you have expended.

So logically, what will you do? Replace the calories you have just burned?? If you were skinny I'd say yes.

This is why there is a large market now for "Recovery" drinks / shakes. But I read the labels on some of these, and I choose to stay away from them.

But the best thing you can do is feed your body Protein right after a workout. At the gym I go to I see many people with the "Shakers". They put in the powder before coming, then add Water from the fountain after, and shake it up.

There is also much discussion as to whether you should feed your body before a workout. I have done it both ways, and I am finding NOT to fuel up before.

Oh, also I am not a calorie counter. But that's me. And I am not a believer in the "Starvation" mode. At least not in the way it is thrown around here.

I try to get at least 1200 NET calories every day...you really shouldn't be going any lower than that. On days I work out, I am burning 800-1000 calories, so I eat a little more. Don't feel guilty for eating more calories when you work out, your body needs them.