Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throat Feels Like Its Closing When I Eat To Much.

I was banded 6 weeks ago and for the most part it has been great. Much easier than I had expected. I think it is weird though that when I eat to much it feels like my throat closes and I feel like I can't swallow or I may choke. I am not sure if this is common or not, however it keeps me eating small amounts which is a good thing. I took my family to the diner tonight and I ordered a cheese omlet. After about 6 bites of the omelate I felt like I would choke if I kept eating, I have not had anything stuck, because for the most part I am still sticking to soft foods. I tried eating some chicken from the crockpot and a meatball last weekend and they go down but feel heavy and make me feel nauseous. I go to the Dr. for my first fill on 2/1 and I am scared I won't be able to eat at all after because I am not really eating a whole lot now.

i have to say i did that tonight i tried something different a little heavier then my mashed potatoes and i have been doing so good but tonight i learned i need to stick to what the dr says i dont eat much i just wanted to chew some but not a good thing i got nauseous i tried soft chicken ....i chewed alot and went down easy but my stomach wasnt happy so now i learned .....so no you arent alone oh and my first fill isnt fro 3 more weeks.....

I was banded 6 weeks ago and for the most part it has been great. Much easier than I had expected. I think it is weird though that when I eat to much it feels like my throat closes and I feel like I can't swallow or I may choke. I am not sure if this is common or not, however it keeps me eating small amounts which is a good thing. I took my family to the diner tonight and I ordered a cheese omlet. After about 6 bites of the omelate I felt like I would choke if I kept eating, I have not had anything stuck, because for the most part I am still sticking to soft foods. I tried eating some chicken from the crockpot and a meatball last weekend and they go down but feel heavy and make me feel nauseous. I go to the Dr. for my first fill on 2/1 and I am scared I won't be able to eat at all after because I am not really eating a whole lot now.

Thats the way it was for me when I was first banded. The surgeon explained to me that it is a teaching tool, and you will soon learn what you can have, and what you can't. He was right ! He also told me that I was sensitive, and the band would react to a lot of things. Well for some things it lightened up, and some stayed the same. It's a finickey tool ! That's for sure.

Pay attention to your body, and chew, and chew untill it's like applesauce. Weigh your food out on a scale or in measureing cups, and see if your getting near to what he said you should be getting.

I drink a little Water with a swallow, this helps it go down "OTHERWISE I WOULD GET 2-3 TABLESPOONS, AND THAT'S IT ! PER MEAL! ! ! !" He had me hook up with a site, and stay at 1200 calories a day, and 60G of Protein a day. This was because I was so sensitive, and told me I could drink warm Tea or water with my meal, just don't go over 1200 calories a day.

It worked, and I was full ! Everyone said that's not possible because you washed away your meal, well yes I did, but the band is keeping the hormone that causes hunger supressed, so I am not hungry.

So live and learn. I hope this helps you out with your Dilemma. Try myfitnesspal.com it's free ! I am Losingintime on that site. contact me and I'll friend you in.

Shirley.

Remember to CHEW< CHEW< CHEW!