Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overfilled? Or Is This Normal The First Few Days?

Got my 3rd fill yesterday (under floro) by the actual surgeon. We had discussed what I was eating and how much I was exercising, and the fact that I have yet to lose a pound. He said he would fix the hungry part for me. He was being really nice. Well long story short, I think I am a little to full. My first fill was in an empty 10cc band and it was 2cc. My second was 4cc and yesterday he added 2.5cc bringing me up to 8.5cc total. At the office when I sipped the Water I could feel a heaviness in my chest. It wanted to come back up, but I kinda "willed" it down. I waited 15 minutes and left. In the car I couldn't "keep it down" any more so I guess I did what is called PBing. Weird thing is, it was only foam...Sorry, gross I know. The rest of the day I could sip a tiny amount of water and sometimes it would go and stay down and sometimes it would come back up. I got some liquid ibuprofen down last night to help with the swelling and in the middle of the night I was able to sip a teaspoon full at a time. It still felt heavy in my chest but didn't come back up. This morning is the same way. I am trying not to push it so I don't PB again and cause more swelling. The DR told me when he was filling me not to attempt to eat anything until I lose at least 10lbs and the band loosens.

I guess my question is should I just keep on with the tiny sips of water of the next few days or should I go have some let out? I hate to go back because I don't want to seem whiney. I have never had any restriction at all so I'm new to all of this. Is this how it should be after a fill?

If Water wont go down then you need a small unfill, your doctor is right in that when u start dropping the lbs the band does loosen but u cannot afford to get dehydrated, I had exactly the same thing a couple of months ago i had a large fill and a week of struggling to drink much at all. I went back and got .5 taken out and it did the trick so if u do go back just get a small unfill and u should be fine. You cant really leave it for long if fluids wont even go down. Warm water/ tea / coffee if u allowed will go down easier than cold drinks. Also check out using ibuprofen with the doctor as this can irritate the stomach.

I think that you probably are a little too tight! I agree with Jazzy; I will bet that .5 cc will make a big difference! Good luck, Karen

I know I felt a similar feeling with the Water after my first fill. It took me forever to drink 4 ounces and it felt very heavy. However, I did not throw it up and was able to keep it down. I definitely think that if you were unable to keep it down, a slight unfill is necessary. That's why they give you the water. To see if an unfill is needed. Good luck and take care!

I was like this for a few days after my last fill at 7cc's now . I could get thin liquids down me though . I persevered and it loosened out a bit and now I have good restriction.

Give it a few days but make sure you can drink Water slowly, and even try hot Soup, very thin, I find hot liquids loosen my band up.

Now if you seriously can't get water down you go back , you'll end up dehidrated. Hope all goes well for you xx

No matter what, you should be able to get fluids down easily by sipping. The more dehydrated you are, the tighter your band is going to be. If you can't get Water down easily, you need to call your dr ASAP

Went today and had .5cc out. I feel MUCH better!

That's Great. I just went down that path, and went today for a fill. It's been a long time, and Restriction feel Great !

Glad your not to tight ! It sure is NO fun !!!

Glad it all worked out :)